Xtracolor paints

Starfighter

Hi guys,

I've just opened six tins of Xtracolor high speed silver, and after the first tin's lid flew off into the air I decided to open the others very carefully. On doing so i had the sound of escaping  air / gas and a large oozing mass forcing it's way from the tin.

With the lid off i was presentee with a silvery coloured mass of gunge, which proved almost impossible to stir and thin ! Has anyone else experienced this before ? I've used Xtracolor in the past with no problems, so is this just related to their metallic colours, and have any of you experienced similar problems with their paint ?

I recall seeing reports, some months ago, of this phenomenon and even exploding tins, but have never experienced it myself. And as I recall, it was restricted only to metallic colors, especially silver and Corogard.

Yes, it happened to me at least once: quite disconcerting.  Think it was High Speed Aluminium.  There was a bried flurry of chat on the internet, then it all went quiet so I assume it was a faulty batch.  Wasn't aware of, and rather doubt, any connection with the ban on sending paint tinlets by air - though it obviously wouldn't have helped.

I had this happen to me with a tin of Xtracolor Coroguard.  I opened it exactly as I've opened hundreds of tins, there was a loud bang and a spray of paint which went all over me (thank goodness I wear glasses) and the wall behind me.  We had to repaper the wall and my wife's favourite lampshade had to be recovered at significant expense.  I've only ever heard of it happening with Coroguard but after reading this thread I think I'll bin all my remaining tins of Xtracolor metallics

53 minutes ago, Baggers said:

It was some years ago.  Not that I'm trying to defend Xtracolour at all :huh:

I would think if you've bought the paint in the last few years it should be OK :rolleyes:

Well, I bought these tins last year, so obviously it's still a problem. Do you think it's worth contacting Hannants to let them know ?

3 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Well, I bought these tins last year, so obviously it's still a problem. Do you think it's worth contacting Hannants to let them know ?

Yes, definitely.  I reported my mishap (which happened about five years ago although I've no idea how long I'd had the paint) and I got a sort of half-hearted offer of compensation.  I didn't actually take it up but it was good to know they accepted liability at least up to a point.