Revell Mistel V kit Ta 154 & Fw 190

Repainted

Hi folks

Just got the The Mistel V kit from Revell, it´s the04824-0389 isseu from 2012. The Ta 154 kit are good in my point of wiew but the Fw 190- a8  aren´t:; So my Q is

Is there any one who can point me to a better Fw 190 kit to replace the this one with, or can I just get the first Fw 190-a8 kit from Tamiya or Hobby boss?

regards

LarsaQ  

Hi, 

I assume the scale is 1/48? 

If it is, the Fw190 A8 from Dragon/cyber hobby is nice. I have it inside my Mistel 2 kit and apart from a bit of flashes here and there, the quality is very good. 

Cheers

LarsaQ

Just for clarity, the Fw190 kit in the Mistel combo is the Dragon kit (also reboxed byRevell as an A-8/F-8, and also by Italeri)

The kit is good shape wise, but can be tricky to build,  

I suggest a read of this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59375-best-fw190-in-148/

which discusses all the 1/48 Fw190 A model (well, not  much on the A-1 to A-4)   

If you do go with the kit in the Mistel combo, note the links on construction in my post

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59375-best-fw190-in-148/&do=findComment&comment=639368

http://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/luft/cleaver190a8.htm

While it is true that the DML kit is more difficult to build, modelers who can touch the tip of their nose with their forefinger on consecutive attempts do in fact possess the necessary hand-eye coordination to build the kit.  There are, however, some “tricks of the trade” a modeler should be aware of when taking on one of these kits.  Using these tricks, the kit becomes much easier to build, and results in a good-looking and accurate model of this famous warbird.

cleaver190a8a.jpg      The primary “trick” is to get the fuselage to fit to the wing without having to use a ton of putty on the upper wing-fuselage joint.  The secret is to push the fuselage out and widen it so that it fits the wing exactly.  I use pieces of sprue, which I position immediately fore and aft of the cockpit assembly.  Once the cockpit has been glued in position, I push them in, then test-fit the fuselage and wings until I have a perfect fit on the upper wing surface.  I then glue the sprue braces in position.  If you do this, you can build this kit with only a need to use Mr. Surfacer on the centerline seam for the upper and lower rear fuselage.

The next trick is to assemble the multi-part engine cowling so it maintains its shape and has a strong attachment to the forward fuselage.  Break out the .010 Evergreen sheet here, and cut some narrow strips. Glue them to the main upper and lower cowling pieces, so that there is an increased area to glue the side parts to.  Then cut two strips about 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch wide, and glue them inside the forward fuselage, to make tabs.  The cowling can then be fitted to these tabs, which will provide increased “grab area” for the glue, resulting in a good firm joint.

Past these, the third “trick” is to get the landing gear properly aligned, and this one is much harder to do than the first two.  Trust me, the number of DML Fw-190 models - all beautifully constructed, magnificently painted and wondrously marked - that have failed to make the first cut of a judging sweep at a model contest for the crime of having misaligned landing gear is likely approaching more than 1,000 by now, just in North America! The mistake can range from landing gear that hangs straight down, to gear where one wheel is further forward  of the leading edge than the other.

Here’s the secret: the correct position for Fw-190 landing gear is to be at such an angle forward that when you look straight down at the model from above, the rearmost point of the main wheel hub is just visible in front of the wing leading edge.  Yes, it’s tricky to get this, and it’s too bad there isn’t another visual clue to use in doing this, but after building some 20-plus of these, that is the only reference point I have found that works every time. It is also important to be certain that both gear legs are angled the same; again looking down at the model from above, the wheels should be about 5/16 inch outboard of the inboard cannon barrels.

If you use these three secrets, the DML Fw-190 will lose its difficulty rating.  Other than these items, the rest of the kit is easy to assemble.

HTH

• Like 1

HiTroy

I´ve just upset a friend of mine here in Sweden as well, He phoned me and informed me about this former Dragon Fw 190 and as just fellow modeller can be angry at you without deleting my phone number :D

So

I STAND CORRECTED

"This is a good kit from it´s time" quote

and I will use so I´m nor banned from this forum.

Regards and respect from

LarsaQ

That's right, this precise Fw190 inside the kit has two option of engine cowl guns, the classical lay-out and the Schrage Musik type. I wasn't aware about this kind of installation on the Fw190... but the strangest thing to me is that I have always known that the Mistel's guiding plane were disarmed to spare weight. Am I mistaking?? 

2 hours ago, cossack52 said:

i have the dragon fw190/ju88 mistel and the fw190 in this has,bizarrely,2 machine guns mounted schrage musik style,on the engine cowling.where has that come from?!!!

Apparently there was a photo that was used as a reference where there apparently was (unbeknownst to those using the said photo as a reference) a ladder sticking up on the opposite side of the aircraft, but this got misinterpreted and then repeated and repeated to the point it became a "known fact." We know better now...

IIRC the Ta 154 was also originally a Dragon mold. It was molded by Dragon and apparently their agreement with Revell/Monogram allowed R/M to release it first as a Promdeler kit. It was later released by Dragon on it's own and then as part of the Mistel combo.

2 hours ago, Greif said:

That's right, this precise Fw190 inside the kit has two option of engine cowl guns, the classical lay-out and the Schrage Musik type. I wasn't aware about this kind of installation on the Fw190... but the strangest thing to me is that I have always known that the Mistel's guiding plane were disarmed to spare weight. Am I mistaking?? 

well, the Ta154 didn't  enter service, so  this is 'what-if' kit anyway, but several other of the Dragon Mistel kits are 'what ifs' as well, from  the Luft 46  craze  days....

But, IIRC, Mistel trainers used standard Ju-88's...

Wiki thinks so  it must be true ;)

Mistel-4s.jpg

" A captured example of a Mistel trainer.  "

I've  never heard of a Schrage musik cowl on the Fw190, but have not got time  to  check at the mo.

On 22/09/2016 at 11:16 AM, cossack52 said:

i have the dragon fw190/ju88 mistel and the fw190 in this has,bizarrely,2 machine guns mounted schrage musik style,on the engine cowling.where has that come from?!!!

It's a mis-interpretation of this image:

Mistel_zpslebefl4a.jpg

The part I've circled is actually the top end of the ladder we can see in the background.

• Like 2