Fokker 100 from a Fokker 70 kit ?

Giorgio N

Folks, I have a question from a modeller who knows very little about commerciall types: I got myself a Welsh Model Fokker 70 but I realised that the liner I flew in a few years ago was the Fokker 100.... now if I understand things right, the 70 was a shortened variant of the 100. Would it be possible to build a 100 by simply lenghtening the 70 fuselage or should I better look for a proper Fokker 100 kit and build the 70 as it is ? I see that Revell had a Fokker 100 in their catalogue so finding one shouldn't be a problem...

And in case building a 100 from the 70 is too much hassle, can anyone point to some interesting colour scheme for a 70 ?

The short answer to your original question is yes, it's possible to convert the Fokker 70 to the Fokker 100.  As far as I know the only external difference is the longer fuselage and different baggage doors. (I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else knows differently). You should be aware that the Welsh Fokker 70 has some accuracy issues particularly the shape of the fin and the engine intakes.  A careful study of good prototype photos (airliners.net, jetphotos.net etc) should show you what needs to be fixed.

HTH

Dave G

Hi Giorgio,

Here is a guy (I believe, the same user has an account here on Britmodeller) building an F70 out of an F100:

https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9841&sid=7f84009127ff7b4cf4e48d52414cebbb

By reverse engineering :D you can figure out how to lengthen the F70, or just stay with it - in the same above post you have a nice scheme for one [and my hard drive should contain a walkaround for that very plane :) ].

Cheers,

Niki

P.S.: and some further WIP from another modeller, with drawings: http://smallscale144.jimdo.com/projekte-projects/fokker-f28-f70-umbau/

Edited by niki
another info source found and added

1 hour ago, Arniec said:

Thanks Arnie, some interesting schemes there. I also found that Austrian used the type, I have vague memories of a Milan-Wien flight on an Austrian aircraft, wonder if it was a Fokker 70...

28 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

The short answer to your original question is yes, it's possible to convert the Fokker 70 to the Fokker 100.  As far as I know the only external difference is the longer fuselage and different baggage doors. (I'm happy to be corrected if anyone else knows differently). You should be aware that the Welsh Fokker 70 has some accuracy issues particularly the shape of the fin and the engine intakes.  A careful study of good prototype photos (airliners.net, jetphotos.net etc) should show you what needs to be fixed.

HTH

Dave G

Thanks Dave, some good info ! Now sorting the issue wouldn't be a problem if I'm already "cutting and pasting" the fuselage. Will have to look at the pictures carefully before building

8 minutes ago, niki said:

Hi Giorgio,

Here is a guy (I believe, the same user has an account here on Britmodeller) building an F70 out of an F100:

https://modelbrouwers.nl/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9841&sid=7f84009127ff7b4cf4e48d52414cebbb

By reverse engineering :D you can figure out how to lengthen the F70, or just stay with it - in the same above post you have a nice scheme for one [and my hard drive should contain a walkaround for that very plane :) ].

Cheers,

Niki

P.S.: and some further WIP from another modeller, with drawings: http://smallscale144.jimdo.com/projekte-projects/fokker-f28-f70-umbau/

Thanks Niki, I have seen both links and these are the ones that made me wonder if my idea could have worked. From what Dave said though I can understand now why modellers would use the Revell F100 kit as a starting point ! Maybe I should buy the Revell kit, make resin copies of the engines and use these on the Welsh kit while building both ?

Austrian most certainly flew the type.  One my earliest digital SLR photos of one here.  Can't believe that was taken over 13 years ago, I'm getting old. 

I would agree with other posts, just a fuselage stretch to get a Fokker 100 from a 70 and alter baggage doors. 

Regards,

Darren

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Maybe I should buy the Revell kit, make resin copies of the engines and use these on the Welsh kit while building both ?

If you think of going down that route be aware that the Revell mould deteriorated and in later kits (particularly the Helvetic release) the left engine is very badly moulded.  It's fixable but it's a lot of work and if you're looking for a second hand kit try to get an early one, Swissair or Fokker Demonstrator.  I suspect this is why Revell have never re-released the F100.

Austrian definitely used the F70 on the Vienna-Munich run.  In January 2004 a work colleague of my sister (who lives in Munich) was on board OE-LFO when it made a forced landing in a field near Munich Airport after losing both engines due to icing problems.  Everybody walked away thanks to the excellent airmanship of the crew and a decent amount of good luck.  If you're interested you can read all about the incident here

Thanks Dave, sounds like I may have to search carefully if I want a Revell kit. Unfortunately mould degradation is something that Revell kits seem to suffer from quite frequently.

I had heard of that accident, good that nobody was hurt ! The Fokker 70 also seems to have been used until relatively recently on the Vienna-Milano Malpensa route, when I flew with Austrian in late 2004 I sure was on a twin engined type, however my memory tells me it was an MD80..

I just saw an Austrian F? in Venice this summer. I thought it was a 100, might have been a 70 which is a little embarrassing because I used to fly the 100 and 28 before that. F28 was some of the funnest flying of my career with that massive infinitely variable airbrake in the back. You could put it on so smoothly and generate a hell of a descent rate and no one would notice. 100 was in or out.

Back to modelling. The Revell is a lovely little kit. I haven't checked it for accuracy though.

• Like 1

So according to the Winter 2004/5 OAG, Austrian were using both Fokker 70, 100, Airbus and Boeing types on Milan-Vienna. No MD's were scheduled, but that's not to say they might not have been substituted for a flight. 

So In my book there's a good chance it was a F70, that's close enough for me. ;-)

Darren

• Like 1

Darren, that is great info, thanks again ! Now I'll be building the 70 as an Austrian aircraft since I may well have flown on one of these. My need for a 100 will be sorted by looking for a Revell kit.

These are the things I love of this forum, there's always someone who can find the most obscure piece of info.. even if as a result the stash ends up expanding.. :D

Robin, have to say that sometimes telling these liners is not easy for me as they look so similar.. the fact that even you sometime confuse them makes me feel a little better...

As a pilot, you look into a wheel well and look for anything dangling or leaking. As a modeller, you ask what is that line for, what colour should it be, and what's the closest colour match to that yellowy preservative on everything!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

As a pilot, you look into a wheel well and look for anything dangling or leaking. As a modeller, you ask what is that line for, what colour should it be, and what's the closest colour match to that yellowy preservative on everything!

All too true ! I remember a friend from a model club who once asked a WW2 veteran about the colour scheme of his aircraft and he got a reply along the lines of "No idea, when I was flying I was too busy fighting to care for colours and when I was not flying I was too busy forgetting about the war to care for colours.." :)

Hello,

Classical routes for F70 when operated by VO (Tyrolean Airways which got swallowed by OS) were/are
Vienna- Rostov/Nizhnij Novgorod/Sochi/Florence and any other place requiring short take off capabilities or just no more pax. Preferably F70 with additional central tank were used for long distance flights wide into Russia
and the F70 has only one overwing emergency exit compared to two in F100.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/9/2016 at 1:48 PM, Joerg said:

Hello,

Classical routes for F70 when operated by VO (Tyrolean Airways which got swallowed by OS) were/are
Vienna- Rostov/Nizhnij Novgorod/Sochi/Florence and any other place requiring short take off capabilities or just no more pax. Preferably F70 with additional central tank were used for long distance flights wide into Russia
and the F70 has only one overwing emergency exit compared to two in F100.

Thanks Joerg ! Interesting information, I had seen aircrafts in Tyrolean markings but didn't understand really if these were used before or after the Austrian markings.

38 minutes ago, lesthegringo said:

My son made one of the demonstrator kits for fun, and while not brilliantly built, may be good for spares for the engines. I'll try to find it and send pics, you are welcome to any parts if you need / want them.

Les

Thanks a lot for the offer Les ! I may be interested in some bits...

F70 were used (operated) before by OS in their markings, then as Tyrolean, then as Austrian Arrows, then as Austrian operated by Tyrolean, then as (current version) Austrian. Now they do not get the latest rebranding (lightblue belly colour disappears, wording "myAustrian",  engines in white-red of latest painted A320 and all Embraer of OS) as they will be phased out soon.  A bit complicated. ))

F100 previously operated at US regional airlines.

Waiting for your work in progress report! :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

F70 and F100 seem to pop-up on the same routes probably depending on the expected paxload. I flew Austrian several times on Minsk-Wien route and on some connection routes from Wien. I can say it's quite frequent when F100 is originally scheduled for the flight but in fact you get F70 and vice versa. 

For a passenger the most noticeable difference is that in F70 the cabin door serves as a ladder (smaller clearance from the ground?). While F100 is loaded using mobile gangway or sometimes even telescopic gangway. As far as a understand the latter option is not possible for F70 at all. 

One more F70 feature - just one overwing emergency exit versus two on F100. 

Edited by Dennis_C

In addition Dave, the air stair type could go to airbridges as the door/ integral steps had lowerable hand rails so as to not foul the airbridge. An interesting design thing was that there was a rubber roller fixed to the top of the door/ steps that allowed it to move out or in when loading or unloading. As the top step was one down from main deck level, there was a board that slid forward and pivoted down to bridge the gap and continue the main deck level into the airbridge. British Midland operated mainly air stair ones with two leased F100s with 'normal' fore/aft doors.

Dennis, from what I remember, there was no noticeable height difference between the 70 & 100.

I know them well, worked with BM for many a year.