Dapol Turntable

Oddball

So now that my Airfix BR Mogul is nearing completion, I really wanted to make a nice little display base for it. Maybe a raised bit of track on a base, something along those lines (ehem).

But, that would mean buying wood and ballast and other bits and pieces. Then I spotted this little kit online, and I thought it would do just the job. This way I get something to display the loco on AND another kit to build. Crafty eh?

It's not too bad a kit, although were there ever some ejector pin marks on the parts? Most of them on the insides of the two side walls, four per panel! So before any construction started they were thoroughly squadron puttied. Then while that was curing it was on to the glue-ey bits. The base for the table consists of three straight flat pieces, and six curved track sections that form the turning circle. However only the two sections that fit directly to the base will be used. Then the actual floor of the table comes in three parts, and the two side walls are two parts each. The fit was ok on the whole, but did need a little fettling to fit nicely. Plus there is a lot of flash and quite a large mold misalignment. No worries though, nothing a no11 blade and a sanding stick can't sort out. Once those bits are all together then all that's left is to add the turning gear box, the railing posts and one or two other bits.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

As you can see it does go together quickly, and the loco sits very nicely there.

More soon.

• Like 1

Work is progressing fairly rapidly, the rails have been removed from the sleepers and fixed to the base, and I built up the railings from plastic rod cut to length, which probably took me longer than to build the rest of it. Now at the stage where it's ready for a coat of primer, and then I can get painting.

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good!

This and other similar topics have caused me to start looking at various secondhand dealers to see what is available. 

I feel the dark side is calling, especially when the full range of Airfix/Dapol is seen. They did so much.

Must fight temptation, at least until I can get back to good old blighty.

Christian, exiled to africa and bored stiff 

Dapol Kits are as cheap as chips, yet with a little work make good models.

So much of the finished look is the paint job, looking towards that finishing

straight and some photos from you !!

'V'

Thanks guys, I quite agree with you both, so many good, cheap kits. And while the detail may not be up to modern standards a little extra work will go a long, long way.

Well I've been hard at it tonight, the paint is on! Laid down an overall coat of Tamiya XF-24 dark grey, I wanted something that would contrast from the loco but not too much. Plus I doubt railways spent loads of time painting their turntables bright colours anyway. The wooden boards either side of the rails and on the walkway were painted XF-9 hull red. Once the paint was dry it was given a light coat of micro gloss to seal it, and I set about weathering it. For that I've used a mix of Humbrol and Tamiya powders. The rails were then dry brushed steel. The railings have been given a starter coat of Humbrol flat white to start off with, then I'll go over them again with a gloss coat.

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have an Atlas ho turntable & power turning kit & I have always fancied using the Dapol kit to make it look better.  Mechanically the Atlas is great, and some turntables did have covered pits, so with the Dapol sides it might look the part.  Nice build though.