L9164 Avro Anson Mk.1, 6SFTS, RAF Windrush, 18th August 1940.

Atom.uk

Some of you may remember this Anson. It was submitted for the "Training Types" GB around 2 years ago, but not proceeded with. Well, I am back and on to it now, and I have found out some more about it! 

L9164 was the last British casualty of 18th August 1940. Those who know about the Battle of Britain, and readers of the book "The Hardest Day" by Dr. Alfred Price will be aware that this was the day of the greatest loss, by both sides, during the Battle of Britain. Anson L9164 was involved in night flying over RAF Windrush on the evening of 18th August 1940. It was attacked by an He111 of KG27 and both aircraft collided. It was suggested at the time that the pilot of the Anson, Sgt. Bruce Hancock, had caused the collision on purpose. No one will ever know as Sgt. Hancock died when his aircraft crashed. It is further alleged that Sgt. Hancock survived the crash but died later, and may well have survived had the search been organised earlier. Again we will never know. 

I do do not know what markings L9164 carried, but I  have found some very useful photographs. Not of L9164, but of L9162 which is close enough. L9162 was one of 2 Ansons that were involved in a mid air collision over New South Wales, Australia, in September 1940. Although locked together, the 2 aircraft made a successful forced landing on the fields below, becoming known as the Brocklesby mid-air collision, named after the town over which the incident occurred. 

• Like 1

From the photos, it is clear that L9162 had a sloping windscreen. That means the Airfix kit is out. I have obtained the Special Hobby kit, which has a lot more detail but looks more difficult to build. 

• 10 months later...

Mind if I join this one? I have been looking around for an Anson that crashed locally in 1940, L9709 I think. It came down a couple of miles from my grandads home, and I remember my Dad mentioning it every time we drove past the site. I was clearing out some rubbish from the blacksmiths shop and found a Sutton harness ... Looks like grandad went up there for more than a look round. This was a training flight from FTS at Rissington, would the Special hobby kit be the right kit to start with? Think I should make one while I work out what to do with the harness..

The Airfix kit has a major problem with the wings in that they are incorrectly depicted as being fabric covered with very prominent ribs. In reality, Anson wings were covered with a thin layer of plywood so no wing ribs should be visible.

Special Hobby is the only real choice for an accurate earl;y Anson - unless you fancy a lot of sanding down and reskinning.

• Like 1

Good subject for Airfix to model both in 72nd and 48th. In the wish lists that have appeared lately l can't recall it featuring very much  ( probably wrong )! A new series of Anson's would be lovely starting with the sloping Mk1. As the Anson was an earlier product of theirs and some of the very first were stationed just down the road from their office at Manston it would seem to me a good choice. 

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The Airfix kit has a major problem with the wings in that they are incorrectly depicted as being fabric covered with very prominent ribs. In reality, Anson wings were covered with a thin layer of plywood so no wing ribs should be visible.

rnauoy.jpg

This picture suggests otherwise, though happy to be corrected! :)

Max

• Like 1

I'm very interested in Sgt Hancocks' aircraft, I read the story in of all things 'Adventures on the High Teas' by Stuart Machonie( not sure I spelt that right), and have seen the plaque on to him on the local church wall. I look forward to  your progress.