1/48 spitfire kit

ModellerUK

35 minutes ago, Otakar said:

At this point, all I can say about the Eduard, is ;Why? It will also cost 50% more than the Airfix. I bought 4 each of the Airfix and will have absolutely no need for the Eduard. Besides, I believe they will have their hands full for at least 5+ years with their Me/Bf-109s, which I fortunately have no interest in. The Airfix is already available for around $14 on the www, why bother with the Euard for $25-$30 for a weekend kit, by than. I hope that Airfix will do a new Mk.XII family though. Or maybe a Mk-21 family. A DeHavilland  Hornet would be nice also. With the quality of the modern / recent kits Airfix has produced, they have won my eternal loyalty. I try to buy any kit which I have interest in, within days of their release. Eduard, I normally wait a few years for them to drop in price before I buy them. The funny part is, that I am also Czech (living in the US). Go figure. I think that I might be a closet Englishman or something.

Why? Because it keeps those that love rivets on their models happy :)  Though I see why Eduard want to do the Mk.I & V, it would have made more sense to do the Mk.XIV first - otherwise they might always be behind Airfix, so instead of following with the same version start with the other versions. At least Eduard will bring us a Vc.

As for price Airfix might be cheaper were you are but the Eduard weekend Spitfires are cheaper here in the UK than the Airfix kit. 

Edited by Tbolt

I buy almost all of my Airfix kits from Hannants and Eduard from Hobbyshop.cz. Even with post, all these kits are much less expensive than buying them here in the US. It is not the tax but the outrageous markup our re-sellers are charging for them that drives the kits up. On the average I pay about $5-$10 more for an Eduard weekend kit than for an equivalent Airfix kit. Eduard kits here in the US are about double the price for what I pay for them from the Czech republic. About $25-$30 here in the us and about $12-$13 from the Czech Republic for an Eduard Spitfire Weekend. Ironically the post is almost identical from Squadron as it is from anywhere in Europe. BTW I also like the kits that are coming out of the Ukraine and Russia nowadays also. I virtually completely stay away from almost everything that comes out of China. Unless the subject is getting glowing reviews. In the past decade or more I have been very disappointed in almost everything I have bought out of China. The only WWII kit I have purchased out of China in the recent years was the P-61 and that is because it is about the only game in town. That kit was close enough to be buildable with only slight modifications and corrections. I am surprised to hear that the Airfix kits are more expensive in the UK than the Eduard kits.

Edited by Otakar

It is still very expensive to make new tooling for these models. Even with modern technology. I was in the business for quite a few years (tooling). I doubt the sails will be there to make them the profits they imagine on the Spits (I & V). The IX I understand, the ICM was the best in town at the time. I still like the ICM to this day.

55 minutes ago, Otakar said:

It is still very expensive to make new tooling for these models. Even with modern technology. I was in the business for quite a few years (tooling). I doubt the sails will be there to make them the profits they imagine on the Spits (I & V). The IX I understand, the ICM was the best in town at the time. I still like the ICM to this day.

But, Otakar, hasn't it been the habit of Eduard to move in where there are already scores of kits, e.g., in the Focke Wulff and Messerschmitt business. There must be some basis for their choice of subject. But still, it escapes me why they move on to a Mk.I/V when the Mk.XIV is still a free to go. 

I agree with you 101%. The reason for the Bosh stuff is because as the saying goes in this industry; "anything German sells". The i90 I understand because the Acc.Min. one is gone and the Hasegawa 109s are more expensive. Besides there are original blueprints for the 109s in the Czech republic because they were built at Avia during the war. So, some I can understand but the Spits I & V, I don't. You are right about doing the XII and XIV. also the .21

17 hours ago, Otakar said:

I agree with you 101%. The reason for the Bosh stuff is because as the saying goes in this industry; "anything German sells". The i90 I understand because the Acc.Min. one is gone and the Hasegawa 109s are more expensive. Besides there are original blueprints for the 109s in the Czech republic because they were built at Avia during the war. So, some I can understand but the Spits I & V, I don't. You are right about doing the XII and XIV. also the .21

But you see it all over. Modellers think they are strange choices, but still they are coming. You forgot the Zvesda 109s. But the same has happen over and over again with the Mirage, the Phantoms and more.

However, I would prefer a Mk.XVIII together with a Mk.XIV. We have two Mk.XIIs in 1/48, by Airfix and Special Hobby. None of them is perfect but buildable. If Airfix produces a Mk.XIV, just make the wings compatible with those from their F.22, and bingo, you have a F.21. That can probably already be done with the PR Mk.XIX cloned to the wings of a F.22..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Mks I & V??  Eduard haven't finished the long-nose Merlins yet?  What about the VII and X/XI???  Please Mr Sulc?

I think the Mk.I and V are a long way off, it was just something that was mentioned that they will do in the future. The Mk.XI was meant to be coming as a limited edition at some point before they do the Mk.I and V, but it would be nice if we got some more PR versions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NPL said:

But you see it all over. Modellers think they are strange choices, but still they are coming. You forgot the Zvesda 109s. But the same has happen over and over again with the Mirage, the Phantoms and more.

However, I would prefer a Mk.XVIII together with a Mk.XIV. We have two Mk.XIIs in 1/48, by Airfix and Special Hobby. None of them is perfect but buildable. If Airfix produces a Mk.XIV, just make the wings compatible with those from their F.22, and bingo, you have a F.21. That can probably already be done with the PR Mk.XIX cloned to the wings of a F.22..

I did indeed forget the Zvezda one-oh-nines. The Airfix 12 is terrible and the Special hobby even worse. At least the Airfix one is less expensive. I do however have two very nice conversion kits to build the 12. I would still like to see a nice and accurate out-of-d-box Mk.XII from Airfix and just junk the old tooling. Maybe they might be able to salvage some of it, but the fuselage is terrible. Now that they have a nice Mk.V they can use parts of that tooling to do a new Mk.XII. At this point I have bought every Eduard spitfire I will buy in the Merlin powered series. I have three or four of the Mk.IX and three of the Mk.IIX. I want no more. I find the ICM bubble top Merlin spitfire very nice and can be bought for about $8. I have (I lost count) ICM Spitfires and to this day I still like them. I also like the ICM Merlin Mustangs. They are a very inexpensive Tamiya substitute. It is interesting how much you and I think alike.

31 minutes ago, Otakar said:

I did indeed forget the Zvezda one-oh-nines. The Airfix 12 is terrible and the Special hobby even worse. At least the Airfix one is less expensive. I do however have two very nice conversion kits to build the 12. I would still like to see a nice and accurate out-of-d-box Mk.XII from Airfix and just junk the old tooling. Maybe they might be able to salvage some of it, but the fuselage is terrible. Now that they have a nice Mk.V they can use parts of that tooling to do a new Mk.XII.

Otakar

You have gone about this before. Regarding the Special Hobby XII

YOU ARE WRONG

the SH XII is a better representation of the XII than Airfix in many ways.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234995521-building-a-better-spitfire-xii/&do=findComment&comment=2490178

a brief update, I  just got a Special Hobby Spitfire XII at a price i  was happy with...

So a quick compare of data from  above, and the  Airfix and Aeroclub XII fuselages, and  the new tool Airfix Vb , and the Cooke drawings, taking on board Edgar's dimensions of the Yeovilton Seafire XVII (single stage Griffon, should be the same length)

The engine bay on the Cooke drawings is too long, so  the  engine bay on the Aeroclub XII is  too long, about 1.5mm, easy enough to  fix

The rear fuselage is a little  shallow as  well.

the Special Hobby main fault is the wing position, it's about 2mm too far  back, cue the wailing  and gnashing of  teeth from  the SH detractors.....

this is really not  too hard  to fix, as the wing  fillet is right, just requires moving  the leading edge fuselage  fillets forward, and  trimming the rear fillet back.  Ohh, that's lots  of  work  I hear from the  gallery..

BUT,  regarding  the Airfix  XII, I think my length adjustment  is unneeded,

but the Airfix  is still too deep all  along the  fuselage,  so the lower nose cut  is  still  needed, plus backing the inside  of  the  fuselage,

the too deep fuselage make the  fin is too high,and  the rudder too tall, as  the  pic. (easy fix, just use a spare from  the ICM, as shown,  or Eduard kits rudder.)

the nose does slope down too much, and  the exhaust thus rocker covers are  too low.  Not a hard fix, but more  filling and reinstating detail.

In fact, the Airfix XII is a very good  match for the much damned Academy XIV high  back (try it, I just did, want to try bob?) apart  from  the oversized nose ring. The Academy has  the same  'Tamiya'  wing problem BTW.

The  wings  have the 'Tamiya' problem, and so are too broad in chord, easy enough  to fix,  plus  dealing  with the separate flaps, which does make  the wing reshape  easier but still another job. They also have oval wheel  wells. (then so  does the SH XII and the lauded Eduard IX kit...)

All  the above are fixable with 'some modelling skill' but the Airfix prop blades are really too slim,  I have a go  at a fix, but it's tricky shape.

A  member here, Plasto,used Barracudacals blades as replacements.

At this point remember the  SH  XII  has  fine  surface  detail, (Airfix is  trenchy) correct cockpit side walls, correct prop blades ,  etch seat belts and instrument panel and  some other bits, plus 4 decal options.

And  moving  the wing forward is still a lot less work than dealing with all the Airfix  faults.

when I  feel inspired I can do some comparison pics, but hope of interest.

Disagree? Prove your findings.  The SH XII is probably a harder build, given it's limited run origin, but even so it requires the least work to make a 1/48th XII

The Airfix v is not of use for doing a new tool XII, wrong wing, wrong fuselage, and the ways the sprues are laid out all the dertail parts are mixed in.

One thing Airfix should do is tool up a C wing and do a Vc, as they already have the fuselage

• Like 2

On 19/10/2016 at 14:15, ozothenutter said:

As I now own the Airfix kit....(lovely kit indeed)

I have since learned there are 4 restored Mk1's....are there any good sites with pics of the the storation and such?

erm, have you  tried google?  In particular try an image search.

On a more helpful note, one walkround  of particular note is P9444

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/supermarine_spitfire_mk1a_p9444/

a ex BoB Spitfire, earmarked for preservation during the war, and displayed at the Science museum, as it's hanging up many useful underside details not  usually visible.

There are a couple more basically unrestored Mk.I's, the one at  the Imperial War Museum and one in Chicago, both still in Training Command markings,  the Chicagoone  really  needs rubbing back to the original paint, as it served with 74 squadron and has 5 kills, one by by Sailor  Malan.

11-28-10090.jpg

see here for more

HTH

T

• Like 1

thanks I did find a lot of stuff online ...just not many pics of the restorations....just the finished article.

Thanks for the link to that thread, search didn't throw that up.....reading it.....I thought the new Airfix was 'perfect'....

Edited by ozothenutter

2 hours ago, ozothenutter said:

thanks I did find a lot of stuff online ...just not many pics of the restorations....just the finished article.

Thanks for the link to that thread, search didn't throw that up.....reading it.....I thought the new Airfix was 'perfect'....

The new Airfix is pretty good - the one in that thread is the old one.