PK-49

celt

Hi Celt:

Congratulations for this nice looking bird!!

I have the older one, the PK 11 rendition twice in the stash, and looking your model awake in me the desire of do something special with the kit. Really have enjoyed the pics you have shared with us of this black beauty. Have liked the way the black colour had been painted and as the real one is canvas covered in many many parts, the way the colour set on the kit looks wonderful,in truth, a nice looking subject and good workmanship invested in her.

Thank youvery much for sharing!!!

Cheers from Guatemala,

Luis Alfonso

Thanks guys for your kind words,all painting was done by hairy stick.All paints were acrylic and a number of greys and blacks were mixed together to make the final colour.I really like making older kits,especially Matchbox,shame they went bust.:(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, celt said:

Thanks guys for your kind words,all painting was done by hairy stick.All paints were acrylic and a number of greys and blacks were mixed together to make the final colour.I really like making older kits,especially Matchbox,shame they went bust.:(

Hi Celt:  

I also have a soft spot for Matchbox kits, Airfix, Heller and all the kits nobody wants now, and about Matchbox I agree with you!!! 

Cheers!!!

• Like 1

On 20/09/2016 at 4:02 AM, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi Celt:  

I also have a soft spot for Matchbox kits, Airfix, Heller and all the kits nobody wants now, and about Matchbox I agree with you!!! 

Cheers!!!

Hi Alfonso,I much prefer older kits,the super kits of today where every detail is present drives me nuts,there is so much detail in the cockpit that by the time I have done that,I get bored and end up not finishing the model.:(Cheers from  Cymru(Wales)

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 14:43, celt said:

It says you can do a mk11d as well as a mk11c,but thats not the case as the wings are for a mk11c,to do a mk11d,major work on the wings is called for.As I am a lazy modeller a mk11c was done:rolleyes:

Not really true, a IId needs the bulges removing, cannon stubs removed, one of the rear panels changed, and one removed, and the  ejector slots filling, as it basically the same wing.

see here for pics of the Mk IV 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59225-hurricane-mk-iv-service/

anorak detail, British WWII Mk numbers are all ways roman numerals..

Anyway, glad you posted some decent shots of the kit up, one of the few Hurricane kits I don't have, overall shape looks good but has the common problem of the too skinny nose....

Hurricane noses have some surprisingly tricky shapes, often poorly rendered in model form,  and not seen in most wartime  photos, in this case it lack the  broad shoulders' over the front end, it has to cover a big V-12 remember

0c156a466366a2f7b024ff59bcf3127a.jpg

better seen on warbirds, note how the nose ring goes to kinda heart shape with a flat top,  by the first engine panel, but is curved by the 2nd panel. One pointed out it's obvious.

very obvious here

drops-gearedited.jpg

I mention this  as your interest line praise the old beast,   and  it's  amazing how much detail is still  hazy  for such an iconic aircraft.

for example, thanks to other members contributions, this is the most comprehensive guide to Hurricane props and spinners I know of..

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

Finally, what a jolly fine model I nearly forgot to  say in my wittering... hope of interest

cheers

T

• Like 1

Good stuff as always Troy.

Celt, nice modelling there. I also built this many moons ago and still have the model. Like many other Matchbox kits it was a superb build and I distinctly remember that this kit along with the same company's Tempest (II in my case) needed not so much as a smear of filler. Quite unique then as it would be even today!

Nige B

Thanks Troy Smith for the info,I did know about the work needed for the Mk11d but it was too much information,I was afraid people would find it boring and be put off.The pictures were interesting and thank you for kind remarks about my model. Thanks viscount806x,I wish I had more Matchbox kits,they were the main kits I bought and built in the good old days.

• Like 1

For more Matchbox, get a list (request via email ) from collectakit

http://collectakit.co.uk/?page_id=61

they usually have a decent selection and fairly cheap...

Kingkit have more http://www.kingkit.co.uk/search.php

but  are not very cheap...  I don't  know if you have spotted member Old Thumper, but he's a big Matchbox fan.

as for being  boring...you have to be very anoraky on here to bore folks :rolleyes:  

cheers

T

• Like 1

Thanks Troy Smith for the info on Matchbox kits and I have not spotted Old Thumper,I am relatively new to Britt Modeller and I try to not to go into much detail in my posts as I am not good at putting down information without it coming across as dry and boring.In my case less is more.:blush:

On 19/09/2016 at 2:40 PM, celt said:

This is a kit given to me by a friend from a model club I used to go to.:thanks:

You're welcome! But you can cut out that 'used to go to' nonsense,you know we're expecting you back soon...!!

Great to see the old thing built so well, much better than festering in its box as it has been for far too long!

Nice job Ken! :clap2:

Keith

• Like 1

On 23/9/2016 at 5:24 PM, celt said:

Hi Alfonso,I much prefer older kits,the super kits of today where every detail is present drives me nuts,there is so much detail in the cockpit that by the time I have done that,I get bored and end up not finishing the model.:(Cheers from  Cymru(Wales)

Hi My Friend Celt:

I agree with you, I have bought the Revell Germany Lancaster kit and after watched too  many parts get something intimidated...maybe iwityh this one day and before the Old Revell Lancaster Dambuster as this one is easier.  Have many older kits and without a doubt will start a nice little collection building those ones as your lovely build. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

You're welcome! But you can cut out that 'used to go to' nonsense,you know we're expecting you back soon...!!

Great to see the old thing built so well, much better than festering in its box as it has been for far too long!

Nice job Ken! :clap2:

Keith

Hi Keith, I really enjoyed building PK-49,it was one of those Matchbox kits that I did not build when I was younger,for a kit of some vintage it went together very well and your right it is much better building the old thing rather than festering in its box.:thanks:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Hi My Friend Celt:

I agree with you, I have bought the Revell Germany Lancaster kit and after watched too  many parts get something intimidated...maybe iwityh this one day and before the Old Revell Lancaster Dambuster as this one is easier.  Have many older kits and without a doubt will start a nice little collection building those ones as your lovely build. Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Luis Alfonso 

Greetings from Cymru,I hope you enjoy your Revell Lancaster,I too bought the New Airfix Lancaster and opened the box and thought no way am I going to build that. I swapped mine for a couple of older kits and I am not sorry one bit.I am a lazy modeller and dont like too many parts.:blush:Give me an old kit any day.

Ken

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Love it,great to see any Matchbox kit's posted despite their inaccuracies they bring back a lot of happy memories for a lot of us,Great job:D

If I could only build Matchbox kits from now on I would do so happily,no matter how inaccurate they are,unfortunately the price on such kits is beyond my pocket.:(Thanks for the kind words regarding PK-49.:)