Dan-Air question 1990

Bigdave22014

In 1990 Dans had

1-11s into double figures, around 14 ex Monarch, BCAL, Courtline etc.

11 or 12 BAe 146

around 8 727-200s.

1 or 2 A300

15 ish 737s

I worked on most of them at Lasham.

As to what had rear facing seats, I've no idea or recollection of anything in that  Role at Dans but could have been re-rolled at LGW to suit route.

Edited by bzn20

They had 737-200,-300 and -400 all by 1989. 737-200 was 1980 ish The first -300 was just after Easter 85 (I worked on the Dan-Air fleet requirement fits over a weekend). IRC the first -400 was 89

Most definitely not the final airline operator of the 111.

European air charter subbed their 111's out to many small airlines until 99 or 00, including the one that I worked for and Maersk (all ex BA)

I flew on a 737-400 back to LGW from Gib after a squadron det a couple of weeks before they went belly up.

I remember all their aircraft parked outside their hangar just after belly up- sad sight to see, but followed by many many more good airlines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2016 at 1:37 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

I flew with Dan-Air in the summer of 1990 from Gatwick to Berlin. Anyone got an idea what type of aircraft I would have flown on?

All I remember is that it was a jet and I'm sure that some of the seats faced backwards...

I'll try to remember to check the OAG flight schedules at work tomorrow, might give a clue. 

Darren

I occasionally flew on Ryanair 1-11s and they had aft facing seats at the overwing emergency exits.  I'm not sure if the aircraft were BAC or Rombac.  I imagine the latter as the exit signs looked as though they were in Spanish, but they might have been in Romanian.

On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

I flew with Dan-Air in the summer of 1990 from Gatwick to Berlin. Anyone got an idea what type of aircraft I would have flown on?

All I remember is that it was a jet and I'm sure that some of the seats faced backwards...

Not sure about Berlin flights Dave, but I remember flying from Manchester to Corfu and suffering long delays, shortly after our return the airline folded.

You may find this site useful Dan Air Remembered  HTH

Many years ago I flew on a BAC 1-11 of British United on a school trip. The seats next to the overwing exit were in a row of two forward facing and then two rear facing, a bit like you see in a train carriage where the seats are arranged around a table. Needless to say there was no table between the rows. I guess this was probably a standard configuration. 

Peter

1 hour ago, Darren Rhodes said:

Just remembered to check the OAG.  In July 1990, Dan Air flew LGW-TXL weekdays with a BAC1-11 and Sundays with a BAe 146.  Consistent with the comment that Dan Air 1-11s had some rearward facing seats. 

Darren

OAG ? whats that Darren?

I remember those, didn't know what they were called. I used to take the monthly Jetline Schedules from the airline desks at LHR terminals in the 60s. Gave all the aircraft types for each flight both Arr & Dep.

Cheers

I lived in Berlin back then and my former sis-in law used to work for DA at TXL. The 1-11-500 was the most common jet on this route.

But 727-200, 737-200/300/400 and BAe146s were also used, depending on the load factor. I´ll never forget the last friday in March 1990,when DA showed up on the LGW-TXL-LGW flight with  727-200 G-BPNS in full Air Malta c/s.

So, Dave, what was the seating like? 2-3 most likely a BAC, 3-3 most likely a Boeing.

Cheers  David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...