Empire Strikes Back - Snowspeeder Diorama

Hi everyone,

So after the Podracer last year, I've been itching to try another Star Wars build. I've had this one in mind for a while but only getting around to it now.

Going to combine this little fella...

c0804f67-7e66-425c-b44e-a6475915969e_zps

With this donated toy bit..

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20AT-AT%20L

To make this! (fingers crossed)

Snowspeed_AT-AT_Battle_of_Hoth_Diorama_z

I can't say that i've ever used toy scraps or modelled snow for a diorama........might be biting off more than I can chew!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Forgot images
  • Like 6

Thanks lads!

So progress from last night. Took the AT-AT leg apart with the aim of removing surplus toy plastic (as indicated by the arrows)

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20AT-AT%20L.

And after some cutting, Dremelling, gouging (and the odd swear word), I got to here. Not 100% screen accurate but I think an improvement over where things were.

The horizontal beam through the top of the foot should really be a cylinder but I'm going to leave it....lack of time as well as my limited modelling skills!

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20AT-AT%20F

Next, got started with Wedge and his gunner. In the kit, both crew have this pose...

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Crew%20be

And after some modifying. Narrowed the arms for the gunner so he can hold his controls (L) and gave Wedge a head turn (R)

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Crew%20Af

As the Snowspeeder's going to be turning slightly left, I've modified that side airbrake. First, cut it out with RB Productions great little micro-saw

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20speedbrak

Then some greeblie detail to the underside..

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Airbrake_

And boxed off the bay itself and added some strip bits..

Because this opens on the side of the 'Speeder, I figured that also needed some detail.

And dry-fitted together - I like how it's coming together! Still to add some more bits in there to make it a bit more busy.

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 9

Thanks for the comments everyone - much appreciated.

Got the back of the toy AT-AT leg covered with plastic card to cover up the hollow beams that are there - while you won't see this side of the diorama (in theory), I couldn't leave it like that. I'll trim this to fit better and also add some random panels from plastic card to break up the plain look and for weathering highlights.

Also started painting Wedge and his gunner Jansen. I'm not the greatest figure painter (especially when I see them now through the Macro lens) but should be fine when in the cockpit and seen from a couple of feet away. Just need to finish the faces and add some oil for depth and contrast.

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Crew%20Pa

More Friday night as out for some work beers tomorrow Thursday!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 4

Hmmm.....a few too many work beers last night so may not be at the bench tonight....I know....softie.

So here's a quick update on this one!

The toy AT-AT is missing a 'toe' so added that from plastic card.

The foot also has a linkage part which I guess is some kind of AT-AT ankle joint (please correct me if I'm wrong) so added that from the inside bit of a ballpoint pen

You can see it on the right-hand side of the foot in this screengrab...

Snowspeed_AT-AT_Battle_of_Hoth_Diorama_z

And with a connecting part expertly milled from plastic rod (i.e.hacked from a suitably sized sprue), this will also join with the leg.

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 2

So got the 'speeder buttoned up last night.

Our crew protecting themselves from AT-AT fire by using the seldom-seen Rebel applique armour :P

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Hull_1_zp

Some cleaner pics...

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Hull2_zps

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Hull-3_zp

Still need to do some work on the seat belts. Not the greatest looking finish on the crew figures but I'm happy given the scale and the canopy that will be on top.

If I had more time, I would revamp the crew and use better figures.

More later!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 4

Got started on the base last night - some leftover kitchen unit from some recent home improvements.

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20Diorama_B

Painted a suitable colour (aka what was in the shed)

And then working out some layouts with the AT-AT leg and the speeder.

Looking at it, the speeder might 'break' the edge of the base ever so slightly which is probably diorama heresy...but I want the cable to be long enough but not too long...The speeder is also coming along.

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20WIP_5_zps

Thanks for looking!

Dermot

• Like 4

Snowspeeder getting there..

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20WIP_7_zps

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20WIP_8_zps

Revell%20Snowspeeder%2003604%20WIP_9_zps

For the diorama base, I went for a longer piece of wood as I felt the other piece was too short for what I planned.

Cut up some cardboard for some groundwork which I glued down with white glue.

And then lashings of pollyfilla. I've never done much groundwork for modelling, let alone a snow diorama so apologies if this looks a bit rough and ready. Some stones from the garden to break up the surface and make it more Hoth-like!

While it's drying, I've stippled the top surface in places with a paintbrush to give it some texture. For other areas, I've dampened it down with kitchen towel, again for some texture but also to give some surface contrast.

I've still to paint and weather the AT-AT foot but it's just pushed in here temporarily to make a foot print. I also built up the sides around the foot to show where it's displaced some snow.

Decals on the Snowspeeder next.

Thanks for looking!

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
spelling mistake
  • Like 3

So after a couple of coats of Medium Grey brushed on, the AT-AT leg got a heavy duty panel wash..

Cleaned up and think it looks ok.

Then masked off and painted the central part where the leg moves around the foot, so to speak. This should be a detailed, recessed area but I was in a rush to get this finished.

Also started to do some weathering on the leg...mostly by brush or pastels as I don't have an airbrush.

More tomorrow night!

Thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 1

And sooner than expected, I'm calling this one done! Will post some more pics in the Gallery.

Revell_Snowspeeder_%2003604_Hoth_Diorama

I was in a little bit of a hurry to get this one done and the biggest issue I had was finding a 'tow cable' that was thin enough to the scale but would support the weight of the Snowspeeder. In the end, I went with a thick paper clip and I think it kinda shows to be honest..but anything thinner and Wedge and Jansen were nosing the surface of Hoth. I think it could also be longer to give a better sense of motion and relative distance.

I'm also not too proud of the diorama base though it was my first time trying to replicate snow. I've learned a lot for the next time!

Juuuuust about fits on the backdrop...

Nah...up close works better.

Looking at it now on the shelf, I know I could do better though my 3 Star Wars fans at home absolutely love it!

The Revell kit is not bad and while nowhere near the Bandai standard, it looks like a Snowspeeder and benefits from a little work to improve it as well as weathering. WIth more time, I would have gone to town on the AT-AT leg to really improve it but for my first time using a 'toy' as part of the hobby, I'm happy.

Thanks for commenting and following - enjoy your modelling!

All the best,

Dermot

• Like 5