Messerschmitt Bf 110C-2 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

My next build is Airfix's 2010 tool (A03080) of the Messerschmitt Bf 110.

586344-16303-77-pristine.jpg

I've chosen the C2 version in the scheme from 6 Staffel, Northern France in 1940 as I still haven't hung my BoB GB models on the ceiling and this will make a nice addition

Simon (Beard) very kindly sent me this kit so I'm hoping to do it justice.

Lots of previous builds on BM including a Single Type GB. I'll have a fondle with the sprues, do some research and start soon. All welcome!

• Like 15

Hi Keith and welcome!

Hi Simon (Beard) - of course! 'Wouldn't be the same without you' seems to be our standard response and this time I can also welcome you as a donor of a whole kit rather than just the pilots!

Hi Simon (Spookytooth) and welcome to the new madness.

Hi John - yarp? Welcome.

I've had a quick fondle. When Simon sent me the kit he commented "Knowing how much you like masking canopies'. :hmmm: This one has nicely raised framing so I'll mask it by hand

29156700234_aa0df46119_z.jpg

(and so the madness starts...). The first step in the instructions is to assemble the crew who have separate arms:

29156708014_4e6d92e113_z.jpg

Gaaaah! Don't panic:

29159052843_fed1c94ebf_z.jpg

I got lucky. I think, looking at those shots, I need to get out the molding flash sanders and go over the sprues.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Is it my eyes or does the pilot seem to be wearing a bone dome?

And you right, a lot of flash there to Ced.

Mind you, a kit tooled in the dark ages is bound to have flash, part of the enjoyment of them.

Simon.

Hi Simon - I think it's your eyes :) It's one of them German flying helmet things (and some flash).

Tooled in the dark ages is a bit harsh for a six year old eh? When I looked properly the rest of the sprues are pretty clean so maybe they used an old model for the crew molds? Who knows.

2 hours ago, CamberrySauce said:

His head looks a bit big doesn't it?

Good luck with the kit, I'll be glad to watch the build the build progress! :lol:

Cam.

Thanks Cam and welcome!

I had a bit of masking mojo this morning so before it wore off I got on with it. Required kit; scalpel, tape (duh), pointy scissors, cocktail stick (one round end, one sharp) and new cutting mat (optional):

29704319941_4ff4de50e7_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I use Swann-Morton #6 blades and follow Paul Budzik's advice, pushing the blade so that you can use the point as a guide and tipping it into the corners. I apply the tape and then burnish it down with the cocktail stick:

29750879146_e791fb471b_z.jpg

Then, sticking out my tongue a bit for accuracy, push the blade down one frame and then across the others. Soon(ish) you have this:

29751052346_2b7f7a6fd7_z.jpg

and my mojo's run out. Time to stick the crew onto their painting sticks:

29674440252_66d22b46b7_z.jpg

• Like 11

Pop!

:popcorn:

'Likes' when my supply replenishes itself tomorrow. We seem to be getting 75/day now :).

Another emoticon tip: type a ':' (colon) into the 'search' field, and the emoticons pane will automagically populate with all 204 images. This bypasses the dropdown menu. You can keep typing to see what might come up (a sort of emoticon lottery) or simply scroll down the list as usual.

Edited by AlexN
  • Like 2

Trying to keep up with you is sorta becoming a job in itself, but at least this time I managed to join the when the thread is still at page 1! :frantic: Good thing we know have the "follow user" function! :thumbsup2: 

:popcorn::popcorn: Nice masking job so far, BTW :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
typo
  • Like 2

I've missed all the best seats already :( .

Oh well, I'll take my usual place at the back and get my monocle out. (Fnaar).

When I was four years old my mother (prone to bouts of irrational worry, bless her), made me a helmet like that.

Out of soft furnishings foam, tights  and crepe bandages :shutup: . I looked like a cross between a smurf and a mushroom with legs :smurf: .

She was worried about me falling and banging my head, hence I had to wear it at school.

How I laughed at the ridicule from other children :D ! 

It wasnt made better by my mother telling another mother it was " because I had a rare medical condition; two brains".

My mother was joking and thought the other lady would see it as sarcasm. Sadly not :shrug: .

Every year we would have a 'Christmas Photo' taken, subsequently made into a Christmas card, to give to relatives.

I loved that card so much. For the photo session I was wearing the 'crash helmet' and had an uncontrollable nose bleed. The blood covered hanky covered most of my face. It looked ever so special, that card :) 

To see that image staring back at me, from every relatives mantlepiece that Christmas, filled me with goodwill :santa: .....

ooooh sorry Ced! That pilot figure seems to have unlocked a long closed door in my brain!

Any chance of you doing his helmet so it looks like tights and crepe bandage, and giving him a nose-bleed? 

:rofl:

:coat:

TonyT

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

@TonyTiger66 I shouldn't but I'm laughing... Very funny story. I think that Ced should model one handed, it'll slow him down a bit!!

That's actually a great idea for a Group Build. Participants would have the option of building with only one hand, both feet or other parts of the body at the Mods discretion. Surely a modelling forum first? ;)  

These painkillers are doing strange things to me for sure. I think the another Tony (TheBaron) is on the same ones too, given his current interest in dissecting pilots :o:hypnotised: !

Meanwhile; that's a great tutorial on canopy masking Ced. It must take a very steady hand. The price of some canopy masks is getting a bit out of hand so even though this method takes a lot of mojo, it's rewarding in more ways than one.

Best regards

Tony

• Like 4

Welcome, welcome all... now settle down - yes, you at the back!

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Apologies about the age of the kit Ced.

I should of looked at the canopy sprue/runner. The old kits did not have ID letters on them. :doh:

At least with the raised canopy frames it makes it easier for masking but still tedious.:thumbsup:

Simon.

No need to apologise Simon, glad to have your input :)

4 hours ago, AlexN said:

Another emotcon tip: type a ':' (colon) into the 'search' field, and the emoticons pane will automagically populate with all 204 images. This bypasses the dropdown menu. You can keep typing to see what might come up (a sort of emoticon lottery) or simply scroll down the list as usual.

Thanks Alex, great tip.

4 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

I'm on board. :popcorn:

Ah Obe Wan - welcome!

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Swollen with Nazi arrogance, no doubt.

Oooer missus! Welcome PC.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Trying to keep up with you is sorta becoming a job in itself, but at least this time I managed to join the when the thread is still at page 1! :frantic: Good thing we know have the "follow user" function! :thumbsup2: 

:popcorn::popcorn: Nice masking job so far, BTW :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - I like that function too; great to see what friends are looking at in case I've missed something.

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I've missed all the best seats already :( .

Oh well, I'll take my usual place at the back and get my monocle out. (Fnaar).

[snipped the story]

Any chance of you doing his helmet so it looks like tights and crepe bandage, and giving him a nose-bleed? 

TonyT

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I guess he'd have a swollen helmet too?

T

Great story Tony (although not a great condition)... tights and crepe bandage with a nose bleed? :hmmm:

2 hours ago, Leonl said:

@TonyTiger66 I shouldn't but I'm laughing... Very funny story. I think that Ced should model one handed, it'll slow him down a bit!!

Oi! I'm not that fast, I just have lots of time on my hands!

2 hours ago, Ascoteer said:

Crikey Ced you go like a belt fed rabbit!

Hey Debs! Rabbits eat belts? Weird...

2 hours ago, giemme said:

That sounds like a good idea ... :D 

Ciao

Oh no, not another one...

1 hour ago, Darby said:

If it's the similar to the other version of around this time then beware the wing/fuselage/dihedral and also the rear of the upper cowlings need shortening.

Thanks Darbs - I'll watch out for it.

39 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

Hi Ced,

Got this one on the go at the moment too, most of it has gone together well, but beware the fit of the tail, mine needed a fair bit of fiddling and fettling to fit..

Thanks Steve - can't find a WiP... any shots?

5 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That's actually a great idea for a Group Build. Participants would have the option of building with only one hand, both feet or other parts of the body at the Mods discretion. Surely a modelling forum first? ;)  

These painkillers are doing strange things to me for sure. I think the another Tony (TheBaron) is on the same ones too, given his current interest in dissecting pilots :o:hypnotised: !

Meanwhile; that's a great tutorial on canopy masking Ced. It must take a very steady hand. The price of some canopy masks is getting a bit out of hand so even though this method takes a lot of mojo, it's rewarding in more ways than one.

Best regards

Tony

Hi Tony - good idea! (Just humour him... with his helmets and stuff... it's the drugs.)

Look what I found:

Me110C-ZG76-(M8+EP)-Over-English-Channel

That's THIS scheme, an actual photo - yay! Note the spinners; yellow? Boo! They're not shown in the instructions (but they are on the box art)... perhaps the photo is wrong? I hate yellow.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, modelglue said:

Here to share in the madness, @CedB that tape work on the canopy had my eyeballs popping out of my head. Remarkable!

Welcome Jeffers! The masking's easy with the right blade, blud. I usually prefer mask sets but this one's pretty straight. We shall see!

• Like 2