Tamiya 1/32nd Viper

Reilly

This one has been quietly marinating in the stash for a while. A couple of weeks ago I splashed out on some extra parts and the package arrived at the weekend. Brilliant! Or so I thought.

sIMG_0172_zpsaiqncj7u.jpg

So, apart from Tamiya's viper I added Aires' tail pipe, wheel bays and weighted wheels along with Eduard brass. I quick search of the delivery box revealed that I was missing the Aires front office, fog it! I'd forgotten to add it to the order list. Another order required along with postage costs.

So first off this is what Big Ed delivers:

sIMG_0173_zpsemm4zdiz.jpg

Seven packages containing masks for the canopy, a stencil set, "Remove before flight" tags, brass for the bang seat and cockpit which looks reasonably good along with brass for the exterior and a ladder. A lot of the external brass is for the air brakes and I'll probably have these closed so I don't expect I'll be using that. Price wise it made more sense to buy the Big Ed package rather than just the elements I wanted.

Now the contents of the big box. Apologies for the photo quality. Normally I'd use my SLR but had a bad day with an Abrams so used the camera on the iPad.

sIMG_0174_zpslymum3ks.jpg

sIMG_0175_zps3khumitl.jpg 

Not much to say about these two other than the parts are all cleanly moulded. I'd have liked a bit more definition in the panel lines but I'll see about that later. 

sIMG_0182_zps1gly7kjx.jpg

Decal set: Not sure how many of these I'll use.

sIMG_0183_zpsunnndpsy.jpg

The contents of a box within a box. Nice to see that there are two canopies; Tinted and clear. As some aircraft had a mix of front and rear sections this is a nice addition. Nose cone is here as well however I think I'll replace the pressure vanes with metal ones. There was also an empty plastic bag. Not sure if it was meant to contain anything.

sIMG_0177_zpserhojqpm.jpg

Tail fin and engine bay. The pressure sensor on the tail leading edge looks a tad fragile as do the static dischargers on another sprue. Metal me thinks.

sIMG_0178_zps224bpirb.jpg

sIMG_0184_zpsudblhrri.jpg

Bang seat and 2 pilots. I might convert one of the helmets to JHMCS version after I've drilled out on of the heads. The ladder looks terrible but maybe I'm being over critical. Compared to the quality of the rest of the parts it looks like a 5min after thought. 

sIMG_0181_zps1oew9pyf.jpg

sIMG_0180_zpsavxtm1wh.jpg

sIMG_0185_zpsmmedxmi5.jpg

sIMG_0186_zpseras63aq.jpg

sIMG_0187_zpsshrzsnf7.jpg

The plan is to try to paint the Have Glass finish. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to tackle that yet and obtain the patina required. I also wanted to add a Sniper pod in addition to the 213 Harm targeting pod. Additionally the Harm pod has to move over to the LHS leaving space for the AN/AAQ-33 Sniper pod. Seems the only people who manufacture an after market pod set are an outfit called Wolfpack however they seem to have stopped production of these parts. If anybody has a set somewhere that they'd like to convert into cash I'd be interested. The plan is to build a desktop display model with the engine alongside. It also means opening up some of the panels normally found open when the aircraft is parked and building some of the detail behind them. But before I start all that its back to ordering a few more parts. 

Edited by Reilly
  • Like 5

On 9/20/2016 at 7:19 AM, youngtiger1 said:

Tamiya Viper is heck of kit. I have couple in my stash to build...just need the time. Have you consider and special markings or what's in the box? Can't wait to follow along. Good Luck ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have markings in mind but will leave that for the time being until I see how my modelling skills fare. Hopefully I'll hit it first time without having to add another to the stash. Found out the name of the guy that does the wolfpack stuff so I'll be dropping him a note for a HTS and Sniper pods, see if I can "Weasel" a set out of him.  

19 hours ago, dsahling1 said:

Here's a link to a guy who did a really nice job on a Have Glass F-16 and he even explains in detail how he did it.

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=10619

I think he nailed it with the underside. I'd try to have the topside a little less shiny. Problem with HG is that its appearance changes not only with angle of view but over time as the airframe picks up general grot and dust. Airframe in the hanger will tend just to look grey, roll it outside with the sun on it and it will show the HG patina. I think I'll try the recipe in the link but then coat it with a combination of matt and gloss varnish (with matt being predominant). 

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, WP stuff is pretty good. I would let you have mine (SP), but unfortunately I only have one myself. :( Hopefully, WP will reissue them soon. As for your build, I think you'll be fine....just don't be in hurry to glue to all at once. Measure twice cause it pays so nice...in the end that is ;)

On 10/4/2016 at 7:50 AM, youngtiger1 said:

Yep, WP stuff is pretty good. I would let you have mine (SP), but unfortunately I only have one myself. :( Hopefully, WP will reissue them soon. As for your build, I think you'll be fine....just don't be in hurry to glue to all at once. Measure twice cause it pays so nice...in the end that is ;)

I don't blame you for sitting on them, their like unicorn poo. Thanks for the advice. I was planning on building the different modules and then making sure it all fitted prior to final assembly. I've been bitten once too often by parts that look like they fitted individually but when combined.   

The postman turned up with a package today. Great, the front office has arrived along with metallic AOA probes and pitot. The moulding on the instrument panels and seat look clean but by heck they're small. Anyone have a 1/16th viper kit?

sIMG_0280

sIMG_0282

Right, time to get started. I've started removing the ejector pin marks on the engine dolly. 

Edited by Reilly
Removal of dead Photobucket links
  • Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 0:40 AM, Reilly said:

Bang seat and 2 pilots. I might convert one of the helmets to JHMCS version after I've drilled out on of the heads. 

Watching this build with interest - always liked what I've read about this kit, but doubt I'll ever be brave enough to buy one. Thanks for the detailed preview of what is in the box.

I've played with the ACADEMY 1/32 pilots (HGU-55 helmets) and have made one with visor up and mask on, as well as a Flight Deck head with visor down, but no mask. My plan for a build when I get home is to do a flight deck JHMCS helmet (visor down, no mask) boarding his hornet. So I'll sit back and watch you have a go first!!. Lots of modelling threads on 1/32 JHMCS helmets, but no one makes them it would appear!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to getting putting some of this stuff together. Hardly spectacular but I got started on the engine trailer. Rebuilt part of the supporting legs. The Tamiya parts fitted alright but not without leaving large irregular gaps. I hope the rest won't be too much like this. There are no decals for the trailer. There should be a bunch of writing along the flats of the metal horizontals with max weights etc. I'll make my own but need to hunt around for a few pictures. 

sIMG_0204

Edited by Reilly
Removal of dead links to Photobucket

Decided to have a look at the engine. I want to mount the engine on the trolley and use the Aires exhaust nozzle in the model. Given that the core of the aircraft is the engine, intake and gear assemblies I decided to check the fit. I've had one or two problems before with Tamiya previously here a poor fit at the start took hours to try and correct later on.

Looking at the Tamiya exhaust nozzle first.

sIMG_0215

Even allowing for the fact that I'm just holding the parts together that's quite a line where the two parts join up. Additionally there are two rather large injector pin marks half way along the afterburner section. The Aires resin kit is a lot better. 

sIMG_0218

The moulding of the AB section is excellent and the convergent and divergent nozzle definition is better. The brass igniter in the Aires kit looks a bit more realistic (not shown in picture). The detail on the exhaust petals is also much better than the Tamiya offering. It all fits well with the Tamiya parts. I think I'll get hold of a second Aires kit for the static engine display. I'm not planning to detail the engine bay as it won't be visible. 

sIMG_0224

One problem, if I have the engine on the trolley I only have one part with the guide vanes and the first fan at the front end. 

sIMG_0228

I need another set which means I'll have to learn to cast them in resin. Should be easy enough.....shouldn't it? What could possibly go wrong? Looks easy enough on the various video's around on YouTube only difficult bit round here seems to be sourcing the resin and rubber for the mould.

At the inlet end part of the duct is contained in the part of the main undercart. I intend to substitute the Tamiya part with the Aires part.

sIMG_0230

On inspection the detail is excellent. It would take quite some time to try and recreate the wiring not to mention the rivet work. And now the fun begins, the Tamiya part doesn't fit the Aires part. 

sIMG_0231

This the view from the engine end. The fit at the end closest to the inlet guide isn't any better. The second forward stage of the inlet also includes the nose wheel bay again to be replaced by the Aires version so I'll be having a look at the fit on that as well before I assemble it. I'll also need to find a way to secure the main gear section to the frame as I suspect cement only may not be enough to support the weight. The Tamiya part is screwed to the underside of the airframe. It should be reasonably simple to effect something similar. 

Edited by Reilly
Replacement of dead photobucket links

• 1 month later...

Right the decks have been cleared and its time to finally put some time into this. Given the poor fit of the Aires parts I decided to dry fit the rest of them just to see how much work will be needed to get everything to hang together. Time to look at the nose wheel assembly. Here's the Tamiya part and even then the fit isn't great with one side of the paneling. 

sIMG_0272

The mismatch may look trivial but when the front of the air intake is put in place the poor fit is exacerbated. Bit of effort and it should be ok. I then tried with the Aires nose wheel bay. That took a lot of work to get it to fit. Cutting the resin away in the indicated places wasn't enough and a number of hours were required with files and a Dremel to create the correct curvature and thin down the part. 

sIMG_0273

The mismatch on the panelling is no more than in the earlier picture but the resin had to be thinned until it really is thinner than paper. As it will be stuck down to the underside of the intake it won't be an issue. Next I started cutting away the kit plastic in order to fit the Aires pit. I've no pictures yet but its not looking great. Pity as the pit is well detailed with most of the switches displayed. The instruments are something else though. What were Aires thinking of. Here's their instruments: and brass cutouts. In my view these look terrible although I do see they provide a brass grill for the airco inlet behind the seat. Swings and roundabouts I guess. 

sIMG_0278

sIMG_0277

On the other hand here's the Eduard effort where the various colours can be seen, i.e. on the ADI, RWR and MFDs. 

sIMG_0276

The ICP is at least is recognisable although the four thumb wheels are a bit faint. I expect the end result will be a combination. I was tempted by some Airscale instrument decals but I'll give them a miss for the moment.

Edited by Reilly
Removed dead photobucket links
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2016 at 7:50 AM, youngtiger1 said:

Your advice on don't be in too much of a hurry to reach for the glue is echoing in my head. I've now seen enough on this model to realise that dry building it first is pretty much the only way to go particularly as a mistake in misalignment in one place can have far reaching effects elsewhere.

Today its fitting the front office. Here's a photo which covers a few of the issues. 

sIMG_0283_zpsib9b9agq.jpg

I've already cut out part of the Tamiya cockpit behind the seat to fit the Aires pit. Firstly the part on the extreme RHS of the Aires tub has to fit into the slot on the Tamiya part. There's a 3 mm difference that needs to be accommodated. Once thats done there's a 2 mm gap where the back of the Aires part should fit flush with the Tamiya part.....or should it? The bulkhead behind the seat starts almost immediately after the locking assembly (little pin showing next to the canopy seal). There's only about 0.5mm there before it would be incorrect. Before looking at the front end, part of the Aires part requires that the canopy seal on the Tamiya part is cut out. If the canopy were to be closed this wouldn't make much odds. As the frame would cover it up:

sIMG_0285_zpsivtmoiis.jpg

Unfortunately I want to have the canopy open so will need to get the position right. Here the front of the tub can be used to help in terms of the overall position.

sIMG_0287_zpsltjcdhy6.jpg

Looking at its position there isn't much wiggle room before the instrument panel would be in the wrong place. Questions, questions and not a lot of answers. I'm tempted to cut away the bulkhead on the Tamiya part at the back of the pit, or maybe thin the back of the Aires part but that won't give me much. Whatever happens I'm going to be adding filler somewhere. I'd hate to be trying to do this after putting hours into painting the pit and then have to manhandle everything with saws, grinders and files.   

• Like 1

Just catching up on your progress bro. Glad to see you are dry fitting everything 😉

Now, as for your pit...I have the same pit but I have yet to use it. Instead of trying to explain you what you need to do just check out the link below. I found it for you and this individual also used the Aires pit and shows clearly where you need to cut in order to fit. However, from reading through this thread I found out this set also deals with shrinkage issues. 😞 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295072-f-16c-barak-with-goodies/&page=2#comment-2826506

• Like 1

18 hours ago, youngtiger1 said:

Just catching up on your progress bro. Glad to see you are dry fitting everything 😉

Now, as for your pit...I have the same pit but I have yet to use it. Instead of trying to explain you what you need to do just check out the link below. I found it for you and this individual also used the Aires pit and shows clearly where you need to cut in order to fit. However, from reading through this thread I found out this set also deals with shrinkage issues. 😞 

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295072-f-16c-barak-with-goodies/&page=2#comment-2826506

Many thanks for the link. Good to see I'm not the only one muddling along. It helps answer a few questions though. I bit the bullet last night and cut a big hole in the bulkhead at the back of the pit. It was a big hole.....maybe too big. I'll solve that later with filler. In the link I think the guy has located his pit too far to the rear. The reference points I have been using are the locking pins for the canopy. They should correspond to those on the canopy frame. There's a reasonable correspondence between the Tamiya locks and the Aires locks. 

The side wall of the Tamiya frame has to be cut away. That pretty much means that the seal has to go, however, if I get it right that should be replaced by the Aires part. The seal should be somewhere in size between Tamiya's effort and what Aires is offering. 

17 hours ago, Antoine said:

Nice work so far.

Did you decide already about the colour option?

A look at Speed Hunter Graphic might help.

I plan to build mine as an Israeli Barak, but I've still to find decals...

I'm going for Have Glass. I just checked out the link to the Graphics and I have a feeling I may be sending them a few bucks over the next few days. I'm planning to have a clean display model so won't be adding all the pins which would also necessitate opening a number of panels and adding various covers for some of the inlets, the HUD and seat. Having said that I'm still not entirely convinced, choices, choices.

Here's as far as I got nibbling holes for there pit. 

sIMG_0289

Take note the front panel forward of the office. No bird slicers. Quick check of the instructions reveals part required being supplementary to requirements. Not only is it supplementary but it wasn't even in the @#$! box. I guess I'll be making my own part for that bit. 

Here's the Aires pit with the side walls attached.

sIMG_0288

I'm using the canopy latches as reference for the fit. In this case the following shows the correspondence with the Tamiya part.

sIMG_0290

sIMG_0292

Now I have to start carefully carving out the sides of the Tamiya pit and lift the Aires one up into its place. That way I should only have to do some tidying up and filling at the back (I hope).

Edited by Reilly
Removal of dead photobacket links

On another issue I'm still trying to locate an AN/AAQ-33 sniper pod and Wolfpack aren't producing them anymore. Decided to buy one of these as it showed the pod and I thought it might be useful for getting measurements for scaling up.

sIMG_0293

Got it home and started hunting for the pod. Discovered it amongst the transparent parts. 

sIMG_0294

I guess at 1/72nd that looks ok but as a model for scaling up its far from good and a bit rough. I'll have to think again on that one. 

Edited by Reilly
Replacing dead Photobucket links
  • Like 1

Still working on the pit and have gotten round to taking a mill to the cockpit sills in order to get it to fit. Meantime decided to have a look at the main undercart well. That involves cleaning up the Aires piece and cutting away more the Tamiya fuselage underside. End result. I must say it fits rather well.

sIMG_0295_zpszejcepwi.jpg

On the other side there is however a weakness, namely the support that was provided by the Tamiya part is no longer there. 

sIMG_0297_zpsukleqwuu.jpg

This also highlights another possible issue now that I've used the Aires part and that is the order of build. The following photo shows the rough positions of the Tamiya parts including the engine bulkhead. That would be hard to fit to the Aires part owing to the amount of resin that would need to be cut away. Not only that I probably need the resin to help the rigidity of the well. As a result I think the best way is to build from the front and work back rather than follow the Tamiya build order. That way I have the front half of the intake as reference regarding position. I'll cut up the Tamiya well to make parts (containing the screws) to give some overall structural rigidity. 

sIMG_0298_zpsyefylbbn.jpg

Edited by Reilly