Next Kiwi Mosquito engine runs.

Pete M.

Hi to all. The latest New Build Mosquito at Avspecs at Ardmore is almost ready for it's first flight, the past couple of days being spent doing engine runs.

Thursday:

Friday:

If the weather improves, first flight may be today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 11

The latest post from AVSPECS:

Well, the Auckland weather is not playing ball so we are unable to begin the test flying. Let's hope for more favourable conditions later in the week when we again have a pilot available.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 2

With 2 airworthy in North America, this one about to make the leap, and from what I understand up to 3 more in NZ and one in Canada being underway or at least strong candidates, I think it absolutely fantastic that the best plane design ever is returning to the skies en-force.

My pleasure at this news is however somewhat tainted by the fact that the nation of its creation seems nowhere near to returning an example to the sky itself, and as a result it feels like I will never see one myself. :(

OK, I have to admit. I know about TPM and thought it was a lot of pie-in-the-sky and hot air. But thanks to your reminder, I have had another look at the site, and I admit there is a lot more detail there including photos of airframe work.

Lets see how it goes.... Still might be another decade for RL249, I fear...

Is that another fuselage in the jig?

Presumably the plan is to land back at Ardmore at the end of the first flight and not like KA114 land back at Mangere?

I've been meaning to head down and have a look at her and appreciate all the great work that has gone into her!

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You beauty!

Keep them coming!

Yes indeed

a few more and they can re-make 633 Squadron - just not bashing them into hillsides Scottish or Norwegian - I'll let them use virtual reality for those bits :D 

• Like 1

"Children of the night, what music they make."    A fabulous project.  Many congratulations to all the team at Avspecs for a beautiful piece of engineering.  New Zealand really is becoming the epicentre of vintage aircraft restoration.  I hope that one day we will have a Mossie flying in the UK again as I also hope NZ will get a permanent resident in memory of those brave men of 487 Squadron.  'Ki Te Mutunga!'

• Like 1

Nice, love the Mossie.  Best plane of it's period.  A real shame the IWM and TFC let that one go, typical of us in the UK though...

Hopefully those guys restoring the NF version will get it off the ground.  It is a travesty that the UK does not have a flying example of one of it's most historically significant aircraft.

Edited by Raven Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...