NATO Day 17.09.2016

upnorth

Hello all,

This weekend was the annual NATO Day show in Ostrava, Czech Republic. I went on Saturday, the weather was hazy and rainy but the show was great. The static park was full with both familiar and new machines.

A few years ago, they introduced a "Special Partner" program for the exhibition where one of the NATO nations would be highlighted in the displays. This year, that nation was Germany and they were very generous with what they brought.

Here's some of what was there to be seen this year. The photos aren't great due the weather I'm afraid:

Making the type's NATO Day premier, both Norway and Germany had P-3 Orions in the statics:

IMG_8733_zps8xq3rxgw.jpg

IMG_8730_zpsxppxr5rp.jpg

Here's a few views of the German contingent in the statics:

IMG_8736_zpsqvmkf1qr.jpg

IMG_8748_zpsoulbocq6.jpg

IMG_8749_zpspcqd3shq.jpg

IMG_8750_zpscxemjnsw.jpg

IMG_8754_zpsxttbqtqv.jpg

IMG_8760_zpscveshxjy.jpg

A Hercules, courtesy of the Swedes:

IMG_8764_zpsz9ny8pbu.jpg

The first time since 2008 an Apache has been at the show and the first time for an American one:

IMG_8770_zpsa5cri9by.jpg

Without a doubt, the big draw for me this year was the Romanian MiG-21. They had one in the statics and one flying:

IMG_8774_zpssb8bjfqu.jpg

Typhoons were big this year. There were four in the statics and all five European users did flying displays:

IMG_8778_zpsaefucycl.jpg

The much talked about and spectacular "Alien Tiger" was available at close quarters:

IMG_8779_zpsmzotv3ae.jpg

IMG_8780_zpsjti3bn03.jpg

A few Aero L-39 Albatros trainers were in the statics, including this Lithuanian one:

IMG_8782_zpsqxdtr1vy.jpg

The B-1B appeared at NATO Day for the first time:

IMG_8784_zpsxqiesmjs.jpg

A Czech police Bell 412 in the rain:

IMG_8817_zpsnjmsgwq8.jpg

The Frecce Tricolori provided the team aerobatics display:

IMG_8872_zpsefa8wfeu.jpg

A couple of VIP transports that were not part of the show, but interesting nonetheless. A Czech CL-601 Challenger and a German Global Express 5000:

IMG_8844_zpsh7gerniz.jpg

IMG_8860_zpsgkyjuvym.jpg

In the spirit of giving a complete picture of the event, here's a few shots of the ground force display:

A Mil mi-17 drops off troops:

IMG_8827_zpsj008qamk.jpg

A Leopard MBT in from Germany:

IMG_8838_zpsqaxq3qwq.jpg

A 9K35 Strela-10 aimed skyward:

IMG_8839_zpsryn91esp.jpg

A pair of BVP-2 vehicles:

IMG_8841_zpset1pbsmm.jpg

This last picture wasn't part of the show at all, but it does show better than any other I took just how wet the day was:

IMG_8813_zpspo9gjcnq.jpg

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 10

16 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very cool! Thanks for posting your pucs and thoughts!

Thanks!

I just wish I could have got down to the Airpower show in Zeltweg this year. A lot of the same performers were there, but the weather was much better.

Edited by upnorth

hi,

Nice to see some shots of the static park - it looked like a good showing this year.

We captured some of the flying from the other side of the fence so to speak, on Thursday and Friday when the weather was a little kinder.

Hopefully will post some shots when we get back to the UK,

cheers, and thanks for sharing

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, upnorth said:

Thanks!

I just wish I could have got down to the Airpower show in Zeltweg this year. A lot of the same performers were there, but the weather was much better.

Airpower this year was great, true! But a B-1 is somthing to be seen! I was at the Nato days serveral years ago.... great show with a flying B-52!!!!

11 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Airpower this year was great, true! But a B-1 is somthing to be seen! I was at the Nato days serveral years ago.... great show with a flying B-52!!!!

I remember when the flew the B-52 at NATO Day, that was 2012.

I attended Airpower in 2013 and quite enjoyed it, both for the show and free admission to the air museum at the base.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very cool, nice to see a Tiger, not sure I've seen one at a show...............

It was the first time for a Tiger at NATO Day. I'd never seen one in the flesh before.

Edited by upnorth