Why Shiny varnish ?

hecfran

My question may be silly, but I've seen almost everywhere that the sequence is:

painting>

SHINY varnish>

Calcas>

SHINY varnish>

paneling>

Varnish Matte, satin or gloss (whichever is applicable)

Why that should be bright and not matte the varnish in the early stages if the final hand will shine or matte final?
Again, maybe my question is elementary, but experts here know me answer.

Thank you!

Because if you have decals to apply to your model they will apply much better onto a shiny, smooth surface, hence the gloss varnish. If you put the decals over a matt surface it is rough and you will get silvering under the decals. This is where air gets trapped under the clear decal film and it's very unsightly. 

The second clear over the decals is to protect them from the washes, weathering etc and the final clear coat of either gloss, satin or matt is to give your model the correct final finish.

• Like 1

Because if you have decals to apply to your model they will apply much better onto a shiny, smooth surface, hence the gloss varnish. If you put the decals over a matt surface it is rough and you will get silvering under the decals. This is where air gets trapped under the clear decal film and it's very unsightly. 

The second clear over the decals is to protect them from the washes, weathering etc and the final clear coat of either gloss, satin or matt is to give your model the correct final finish.

• Like 1