THE CONTINUATION OF MY SCRATCH BUILT B17G!

Fozzy

On 01/05/2017 at 3:32 PM, perdu said:

I wouldn't mind a decent shed if my garden was big enough...

Now I have a disturbing image of Bill as David Cameron.

Apparently all you need is approx £25,000 spare, and which of us hasn't got that kind of wonga down the back of the sofa?  Hmmm.  [Come to think of it, we don't even have a sofa...]

• Like 1

Don't mention sofas.

Our new staff room has had £10,000 of new furniture, that nobody sits on. That is why the furniture in the old staff room was still perfectly serviceable. However, the Project Manager decided otherwise.

Meanwhile, I have no budget for buying new Library Books and 24 computer desks with no computers on them due to "project overspend".

But, on the plus side, Fozzy is back on the case again, and I have had a  dose of awesome to improve my day.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Now it was time to cut to shape the fillets out of good old yogurt pot plastic...cheap as chips!!!...this was done in two separate parts.........

Aren't yoghurt tubs usually made of polyethylene or polypropylene, i.e. almost impossible to glue? What do you use for adhesive?

32 minutes ago, Hotel Papa said:

Aren't yoghurt tubs usually made of polyethylene or polypropylene, i.e. almost impossible to glue? What do you use for adhesive?

The trick is H.P is to go over the piece you want to glue with some light sand paper to rough it up a bit....I then use the usual polystyrene cement....I have never had any problems.:wink:

• Like 2

Hello to all

I am so, so disappointed with my self!:blush:

I just didn't do my home work and I am going to have to pay for it now!

One of the golden rules when scratch building ...as any scratch builders on this forum will know....is to do research...research...and more research before tackling any part of your build...this includes searching photos and info on the net...else you may well be wasting your time...not to mention materials!

Well I have just broken that rule and have wasted probably a week of modelling.

The mistake I made is not properly thinking the wing root through......when looking at photos of the real deal it occurred to me that what I was doing was just......pants!:angry:

Take a look at this B17 Starboard wing root minus the wing of course......

shell82of114_zpsb00df331-crop_zpscmx5m4w

You can see the area around the bomb bay is obviously not what I have started out to do...........

oo%20003_zps9pjiqkaw.jpg

This will mean that I have to basically ....start all over again!:(....I could leave it as it is ...but it just doesn't cut it!

So to that end I shall be away for a period while I rectify this stupid mistake!!:huh:...........laters!

Fozzy

• Like 5

Nah bullshine mate

Use the bit you have faired in as 'base' and trim away the balsa

Whilst praising a god for not using deal or other available white so called softwoods

Then ( I see this from just that picture) cutting away the ribbed and framed bits inside leaving a small face all around the edge in balsa

Build in the cleverdicky framey bits and get back on schedule by finishing the interface with a holeypiece of yogpot

One night maybe two if you have to devote some time to earning food

• Like 4

Yes in a sense you are right Ian....it is just an annoyance that I have to re start the whole thing!....I think I will have to scratch the fillets on the front section first (something I am not looking forward to) before stripping the balsa wood off

I can't really explain what I need to do but I do know what I have to do!.... so sorry to be a bit vague on this!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brianthemodeller said:

You could always build a WIF B-17N that was designed with magnetic quick release wings for ship-board storage?? :huh:

On your bike!!!;)

• Like 4

Well hi again fellow modellers!

Last time we met was when I was in a bit of a conundrum with "what to and how to fix the problem with the wing root"

Well...as far as I could see it  the only way that I could achieve it was to build the root in 3 separate stages......

PICT2565_1_zpsrcznvame.jpg

as in this photo of a b17....I have crudely marked out each section of the root that I will be tackling.....1. being the nose section ....2. being the bomb bay...and 3. will be the Radio room that I haven't even started yet!

So onto the first section we go!

With photos as

usual this is how I went about it.

In this first photo you can see I have shaped the fillets out of plastic and glued them to the fuselage side.....

kkk_zps0mlm5sbh.jpg

fs%20002_zpszmfccyl3.jpg

Then I scratch built the attachment brackets..( they look like Kangaroos sport!)!!...

fs%20001_zpsqmtkkk05.jpg

They were then glued into position....

fs%20008_zpsmersw10i.jpg

fs%20009_zpsb62nutci.jpg

All the gubbins were dealt with next on both sides ...pipes and cables which attach to the main wing etc....

f_zpsgtcvpwzx.jpg

t_zpsmu538jqt.jpg

Then I came to the first problem!:(......the fillets were far too wide!.....so I had to cut some of the plastic off....not easy with them on the fuselage ,which in turn meant that the attachments were too short ...so they had to be extended with a little scrap plastic!....this is what I mean....

fs%20005_zpsgwhgfuge.jpg

so the end result is that they now look like this.....

cb_zpseqcybdtn.jpg

fg_zpsi355dxpc.jpg

So all I had to do next was to skin the fillets with aluminum....not an easy task with them on the fuselage!...

ft%20008_zpsqp7nxbyf.jpg

ft%20003_zpsqvfhezrv.jpg

bv%20003_zpsidzbumho.jpg

bv%20004_zpsiivssn93.jpg

Right then....

I now have to connect some cables...paint some details and I will be back in a couple of days with the end result

Until then chaps.......see you later!

Fozzy

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Fozzy said:

and 3. will be the Radio room that I haven't even started yet!

Well I paid good money for a ticket, so I

for one will be hanging around to see that!

Nice kangaroo's BTW.

Should I mention that this is the method of

doing it that I suggested three pages back?

Better not, I suppose, I'll let him think it was

his own idea. Ahem.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well I paid good money for a ticket, so I

for one will be hanging around to see that!

Nice kangaroo's BTW.

Should I mention that this is the method of

doing it that I suggested three pages back?

Better not, I suppose, I'll let him think it was

his own idea. Ahem.

Well Pete...all I can say is...thanks for the heads up mate...you did indeed suggest the idea and I shall for ever be in your debt!:wink:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maverick231 said:

Fozzy you cease to amaze me mate!

I've been reading from the start and this thread just gets better and better!

My mind wonders after the completed B-17 what's going to come next?

My grave I would expect!!:pipe:

• Like 1

Ok then...here goes chaps....

Here is the finished front section wing root attachment area...all spruced up with paint and oils ............

Rear end shot showing the wing attachment brackets.....

fd%20012_zpsezbciuxy.jpg

Port side....

fd%20002-crop_zps0hzskavg.jpg

oop%20006_zpspyxbhhz0.jpg

oop%20008_zpsn0hhkrhy.jpg

Starboard side...

oop%20001-crop-crop_zpsf0zzpwek.jpg

fd%20007-crop-crop_zps224zx6eo.jpg

...and overall shots.....

jg%20004-crop_zps8vbidibe.jpg

jg%20002-crop_zpsboy5rvdd.jpg

Ok then...now that that is completed I can now get on and finish the bomb bay section.

My Wife is returning to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks and I want to try and get the bomb bay finished before then as I wager I won't get much modelling done!:think:

On wards and upwards!

Cheers

Fozzy

• Like 6