Pause beendet, zurück zur Arbeit! (Picture Links Revitalised)

Derek A

I was chatting on the forum after posting some pictures of a finished project when I was asked ‘What next?’  I explained that I wanted to do a detailed diorama based around the Revell 1/32 Fw 190 F-8 having been inspired by a diorama on the LSM forum by a gentleman with the on-screen name of Colt6, it’s well worth a look if you’re over that way and I thank him for the inspiration.  The comment, 'I hope you're going to do a WIP?" is responsible for what follows!

So, what am I planning; the title means ‘Brake over, back to work!’ or at least I hope it does as I used an online translator.  It is based around a FW190 F-8 undergoing minor servicing in the field, the crew are taking a break and having a quick game of cards and are caught by the crew chief and pilot.  The basic layout plan is this:

37820881315_c776af2ee2_b.jpg

The main elements will be:

·         The Revell 1/32 Fw 190 F-8 Kit augmented with:

o    Eduard Brassin Engine

o    Eduard Brassin Cockpit

o    Eduard Brassin MG131 guns

o    Eduard Brassin Wheels, prop and spinner.

·         Italeri’s 1/35 Kublewagen

·         Dragon’s 1/35 Kettenkrad

·         Verlinden Productions diorama accessories of:

o    The Luftwaffe Service Cart

o    The Luftwaffe Power Cart

o    The Luftwaffe Bomb Trolley

·         Various other diorama bits and pieces including MB and Verlinden Production figures as well as some scratch built stuff!

I am breaking considerable areas of new ground with this diorama and my aim is to show how an average modeller copes (or not!) with something new and challenging.  The aim being to encourage other modest modellers to ‘have a go’ and stretch themselves.

I have started some elements of this build so I will catch them up in the relevant areas as per Forum instructions.  I think this is probably enough for the first chunk though, I’ll be back here soon with the build of the VP elements listed above.

Edited by Derek A
Replace photo
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Surely you mean "

Unterbrechung uber?

You could certainly be right, as I say, I just plugged 'Brake over, back to work!' into googles translater and that's what I got!  However, 'Unterbrechung' would appear to mean interuption and I really meant break as in the good old English tea break!

37 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Surely you mean "

Unterbrechung uber?

You could certainly be right, as I say, I just plugged 'Brake over, back to work!' into googles translater and that's what I got!  However, 'Unterbrechung' would appear to mean interuption and I really meant break as in the good old English tea brake!  Mind you, if I spelt it break I'd probably get the right answer; I must stop posting late at night!  so, how do you change the title of a post?

Edited by Derek A

There were a couple of reasons for selecting this diorama, one of which was the availability of diorama accessories in 1/32 to dress the scene.  The 3 items I chose from Verlinden Productions being the service trolley, the bomb trolley and the power cart.  Now all these kits are resin; I’ve never built anything in resin, but hey how hard can it be?

The first up was the Power cart.

24835876218_8185fec400_b.jpg

I chose it because it looked the simplest looking at the bag of bits, the instructions weren’t but I’ll come to that, the first thing to do was wash in warm soapy water.  That done, I was faced with the terrifying prospect of attacking some pretty small parts with a razor saw, not a bit like taking bits off the sprue!  The non-instructions gave no real indication what was or wasn’t part, but careful study of the following pictures did give me some confidence that I had it right.

38676467222_d39d367350_c.jpg

26932825209_be37c214dd_c.jpg

Cutting and filing the parts was not as difficult as I had anticipated, the resin is soft and cuts easily but the size of some of the bits makes it quite daunting for the uninitiated.  Having separated all the parts, I was able to assemble the cart.  This is where I had my biggest gripe with the ‘instructions’  This thing is creamy yellow with hardly any contrast, working out what’s going where can be tricky but taking my time and referring to all the pictures including the finished article I got it together.  Some particular gripes are the towing eye is bent from copper wire but there is no indication of it’s size, 2 pieces of plastic rod are shown holding it level, one under the tow hitch and the other under the rear. 

Once again no length quoted but by far the most concerning to me is that such an arrangement seemed highly unlikely in reality so I scratch built a couple of drop down stays and there you have it, one power cart!

37991121304_4e6013b8c9_b.jpg

And after some basic painting.

26932825919_710b7a60aa_h.jpg

Next up, the service cart!

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photos
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Derek A said:

You could certainly be right, as I say, I just plugged 'Brake over, back to work!' into googles translater and that's what I got!  However, 'Unterbrechung' would appear to mean interuption and I really meant break as in the good old English tea brake!  Mind you, if I spelt it break I'd probably get the right answer; I must stop posting late at night!  so, how do you change the title of a post?

Bremse means as you say "brake" as in the bit that slows your car down.

Unterbrechung means break as in tea.

Great idea for a dio,did a similar one some years ago myself with a Revell 1/72nd 190 Nachtjager done as Migge's White 11

for a commision job.

Change the title of a post?,use the "edit" button I think,though I'm not sure on this new souped up version Mike has

just rolled out to us.

• Like 1

So the VP Luftwaffe Service Cart.

26932920599_94d3c09393_b.jpg

The previous criticism of the VP instructions is less obvious here, there is less ambiguity and it goes together quite easily.  Some parts are very fragile and need to be handled with care.  One major bug bare I have is that the Moulding blocks on the wheels is on the top!  The suspension units are moulded onto the wheels and as such they are handed with a key to fit them to the chassis axles.  Any damage done removing the moulding block is in full view and there is no tread!  Come on VP a little thought please!

Anyway, it looks nice when together:

38676534282_a5ac113051_b.jpg

And with a lick of paint:

24836010808_87d2f9a113_h.jpg

38708665291_5d567b049d_h.jpg

Hopefully my weathering skills are up to the job of making it look more used and abused!

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photos
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Great idea for a dio,did a similar one some years ago myself with a Revell 1/72nd 190 Nachtjager done as Migge's White 11

for a commision job.

Change the title of a post?,use the "edit" button I think,though I'm not sure on this new souped up version Mike has

just rolled out to us.

Can't thank you enough for the help, I've even managed to change the title!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

for a commision job.

just rolled out to us.

Can't thank you enough for the help, I've even managed to change the title!

• Like 1

The final VP kit is the Bomb trolley.

26933002709_f5c788346c_b.jpg

I found this the most difficult to make, the instructions are not good with poor quality pictures and no construction advice.  The low contrast colour of the product and the relatively poor quality images made it very difficult to determine exactly what goes where and the finished product shots are no better.  See above and the instructions below.

38708688541_59500e685f_c.jpg

26933003009_aae73a3a3a_c.jpg

I spent some time searching the internet for other images of this item which helped a lot.

The assembly of the bomb arm was particularly tricky trying to assemble it as shown in step 4 & 5 in the instructions.  After some fiddling around and a few good old Anglo-Saxon phrases I found a way to do it that worked for me.  Part 12 is the lower arm and is in one piece the upper arm is 9 & 11 spaced with part 1.  One end fits into 8 whilst the other end holds the bomb forks 7.

The way I did it in the end was I found that the indents in the body end of the lower arm was a click fit into the body part 8.  I set this to the height I wanted and superglued it in place.  I was then able to dry fit 1, 9 and 11 to the main body 2 to set the relative position of part 1 (No measurements or location marks so guess and set it to where it looks right!).  With this superglued I then dry fitted the upper arm to the bomb forks and the main body supergluing the bomb forks to the lower arm.  It was then simply a matter of gluing the upper arm in place! 

Eventually it ended up looking like this:

37821109715_63cd4d9462_b.jpg

And after basic painting:

37821110125_78d2389e42_h.jpg

38653138236_bccd71d026_h.jpg

I’m still investigating how to attach the bomb to the bomb forks, it’s too tail heavy to just sit on the forks so any suggestions or references welcome.

Edited by Derek A
Replace photos
  • Like 4

Everything is looking great Derek, really like the service cart already, much farther along on the project than would have anticipated. 

Would be a lot of work and there is probably an easier way, cutting bomb at some point and inserting lead fishing weight into nose area or lower front section of bomb? Be some cutting and putty work.

If you aren't an "expert" on painting/detailing figures yet, there has been an excellent ongoing series of articles in FineScale Modeller  regarding this, adding depth, realism and wear. Trying my hand on various pilots, troops and armor crew laying around. It really is another art form bringing life to these and would be rewarding to become proficient at (personally far from it yet).

Following the build, looking forward to next installment. Very nice, keep going!

R.

Edited by Ceithearn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

If you aren't an "expert" on painting/detailing figures yet, there has been an excellent ongoing series of articles in FineScale Modeller  regarding this

Thanks for this; I'm certainly no expert and will need all thehelp I can get! The current plan calls for 5 figures all together!

As for the bomb, I could certainly try that but I am thinking that if the 'real thing' was nose heavy and just sat there, Superglue could be a quicker solution.

Edited by Derek A
Terrible 1st attempt!
  • Like 1

Leaving resin kits to one side for the moment, one part of the master plan calls for a set of steps.  I didn’t want to spend hours searching on line for a suitable set so I scratch built some.  There a 2 styles, I’m not sure which one will make it onto the finished diorama, if any.  I’ve put in one of the figures for scale, what do you think; left, right or neither?

37991326874_7cde5288ca_b.jpg

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photo
  • Like 2

Prefer "scale of lumber" on left and general appearance. Like horizontal supports of right....wouldn't be much work to transfer over would it? Believe with a touch of paint and weathering either or both would be good addition.

Have some fairly good, by my standards, photos of the FW 190 from Luftwaffe Day at Paine Field. Could create photbucket album if they would be of use to you. Have a nice one of a static display engine too. No doubt you will by purchasing one of those very expensive after market 1/32 engines!

Three interesting points on the FW for me, 1.) what a wonderful sound the radial engine makes, music to my ears, 2.) how much oil the engines leaked even in pristine condition, 3.) takes 15 to 20 minutes of warm up before ready to fly. Apparently straight from the factory the engines dripped a lot and this was evident after landing seeing the streams of clean oil running down and dripping off the cowl.

Photo of oil leak, clockwise 6 to 8 on the white portion of cowl you can see the oil weeping. Not sure how to resize photo smaller.....

P1010324_zpskmn6gghc.jpg

Wonder if your service workers even bother to wipe the planes down given war time maintenance required, thinking not? Certainly a different perspective on leaks than an F1 pit crew.

R.

Edited by Ceithearn
photo

Re. title: in German "über" means "on top of". Plus, "wieder" implies repetition. So I'd use "zurück an die Arbeit". Similarly in Dutch, we could theoretically say "terug aan de arbeid". 

Also, do mind that in German nouns get a capital (strangely enough). So instead of "arbeit" you write "Arbeit". 

The title could therefore be "Unterbrechung vorbei, zurück an die Arbeit". Or "Ende Unterbrechung, züruck an die Arbeit". 

That having said, being 99% sure of this, to be perfectly sure I'd ask a German forum member (I'm Dutch and got 5 years of German language in school that doesn't mean my German is anyway near perfect). 

Regards the Verlinden start cart (R.I.P. Verlinden Productions....) I built it and it was a bit warped. Try using the hair dryer rather than hot water, as the latter didn't work for me. The cart can be detailed up a bit, compare to the 1/48 Tamiya cart cast in plastic that has more details than Verlinden's set... 

9 hours ago, Ceithearn said:

Have some fairly good, by my standards, photos of the FW 190 from Luftwaffe Day at Paine Field. Could create photbucket album if they would be of use to you. Have a nice one of a static display engine too. No doubt you will by purchasing one of those very expensive after market 1/32 engines!

Oh yes please!  All photos of the real thing, especially in colour are most welcome!  Thanks for the information regarding oil leaks, that will also help with thye weathering eventually.

Derek

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

Re. title: in German "über" means "on top of". Plus, "wieder" implies repetition. So I'd use "zurück an die Arbeit". Similarly in Dutch, we could theoretically say "terug aan de arbeid". 

Also, do mind that in German nouns get a capital (strangely enough). So instead of "arbeit" you write "Arbeit". 

The title could therefore be "Unterbrechung vorbei, zurück an die Arbeit". Or "Ende Unterbrechung, züruck an die Arbeit". 

That having said, being 99% sure of this, to be perfectly sure I'd ask a German forum member (I'm Dutch and got 5 years of German language in school that doesn't mean my German is anyway near perfect). 

Regards the Verlinden start cart (R.I.P. Verlinden Productions....) I built it and it was a bit warped. Try using the hair dryer rather than hot water, as the latter didn't work for me. The cart can be detailed up a bit, compare to the 1/48 Tamiya cart cast in plastic that has more details than Verlinden's set... 

Thank you very much for your help with the title, I will certainly ensure the actual name plate uses your first suggestion.  As for the Power Cart, there are not many pictures of 'the real thing' on line and I am still trying to figure out where the cable emerges from the cart itself.  the VP illustration shows the cable wrapped around the protrusions at the rear and I had assummed that the cale exited the cart from the lower rear panel but I can't prove it one way or the other!  I shall keep looking.

Once again, many thanks for your input.

Derek

• Like 1

@Derek A I'll send you a drawing of the oil cart and a picture of the start cart, to be found in a book on Luftwaffe airfield equipment. 

Useful pictures you'll also find when Googling for "Heinkel 111 Gardermoen", as the Gardermoen museum strategically put a start cart in front of their rare bomber. I'm sure if you look around Google Images and the Largescaleplanes picture thread on the Heinkel long enough you'll find some nice pictures of that start cart, as many photographs were taken (you're fortunate there that the Heinkel 111 is such a rare survivor). 

To help me convert real distance to scale and the other way round I've created these 2 simple tables covering the major scales, I thought some of you may find them useful too.  Please feel free to take a copy!

Scale%20Chart-2_zpscwduq22z.jpg

Scale%20Chart-1_zpsojurw4ow.jpg

• Like 1

Title is almost good now, but I'd really recommend "Zurück an die Arbeit" (rather than Zurück zur Arbeit") as well as "vorbei" or "geendet" (rather than "beendet". 

'Beendet' means that someone put a stop to it. 'Geendet' simply means that it ended. 

Now I won't nag any further about the topic title :)