Pause beendet, zurück zur Arbeit! (Picture Links Revitalised)

Derek A

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've posted in this stream, I've had my hands full building the Aircraft for the diarama, progress is documented in the link below:

As it nears completion, I can start assembling more elements of the plan, the latest is the Kettenkrad which is now nearly ready for paint, just a little dab of filler required here and there.  This is the Dragon 1/35 kit and is OK but not brilliant.  The sprue gates are quite large and the parts quite small, I soon realised that a razor saw was a better option than sprue cutters!  The photoetch is quite basic but nice to have.  I have altered the tow hitch, right or wrong, so that the trailer sits at a more 'comfortable' angle!

37821495935_7f0d9cae12_h.jpg

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photo
  • Like 3

While detail work contiues on the aircraft I've managed to get back to the oil cart and made it look used and abused!  not an area I can claim any expertise in so I've sort of winged it, to me it looks OK, I'm just a little concerned it's a bit over the top; I'll be a little more conservative with the other bits and peices!

37991720224_6e836d5140_h.jpg

24836471958_e2b56a5292_h.jpg

What do you think?

Edited by Derek A
Replace photos
  • Like 3

Looking at those pictures of the oil cart again today I certainly feel it's over done!  It doesn't look very realistic, I think I need to revisit it!

Edited by Derek A
EIE
  • Sad 1

I've also been working on the Kettenkrad, here it is painted and weathered but I'll let it sink in for 24hrs before I apply a cote of matt varnish to seal it.  I find that looking at the picture helps me be mor objective than looking at the model, so I'll look at the pictures again tomorrow and then decide.  Please feel free to chip in 'cos this is the first tracked vehicle I've ever made!

38689230871_77af06bfc7_b.jpg

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photo
  • Like 1

I applied a coat of matte varnish to the kettenkrad and got a really nice crackle finish where I'd applied some Ultimate Dust wash!  Not exactly the look I was after so there will need to be some corrective work carried out there,  It seems to come off quite easily so hopefully I can recover it with out having to strip all the paint!

I've also given the service cart its final coat of matte, no similar problems here.  I've also fitted the delivery pipes and some scratch nozzles to finish it off.

26912942099_3e53edb184_h.jpg

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photo
  • Like 4

Hi Derek. Only you can say whether your weathering of the trailer was 'over the top'. It's what YOU are happy with. You've changed your mind and 'de-weathered[ it slightly. I like both versions. As for the Kettenrad, you've done a good job there too. My only criticism would be to say that the tracks look a bit 'tight'. I'm not sure if they are 'stretchable', but I soak my tank tracks (rubber band type) in boiling water and give them a careful tug. The extra length gained can be used to impart sag along the top of the wheels.

Looking forward to seeing the finished dio.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

I'm not sure if they are 'stretchable', but I soak my tank tracks (rubber band type) in boiling water and give them a careful tug.

Many thanks for the encouragement Badder, whilst I can appreciate your point, I've never built a tracked model before and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to give that a try!  I'll have to think about it.  If it doesn't work, is it likely to ruin the tracks so I have none?  I like to try and understand the risks before giving it a go!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Things are progressing and I'm now able to layout the major elements on the base board and get a better idea of what it will look like.

38677184512_5bc9bd5065_h.jpg37821605635_28dec3c72d_h.jpg

It's going to look quite busy which is sort of where I wanted to go, maybe not as much 'set dressing' will be needed as I originally envisaged!  I will get the figures together and that will really enable me to finish the plan.

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photo
  • Like 3

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:00 PM, Derek A said:

Many thanks for the encouragement Badder, whilst I can appreciate your point, I've never built a tracked model before and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to give that a try!  I'll have to think about it.  If it doesn't work, is it likely to ruin the tracks so I have none?  I like to try and understand the risks before giving it a go!

Hi Derek.

I am liking the mix of air and land vehicles and I'm looking forward to seeing the end product.

For future reference (should you decide to move over to the dark and dirty side) heating the tracks won't in itself cause any damage.

I lay one track out straight and soak the other in hot water for a minute or so, then stretch it a bit, pulling on both ends carefully. Then I lay it beside the other track to check the new length. It maybe that there's hardly any difference, so repeat several times and increase the length gradually. I wouldn't ever pull too hard, or you may get too much stretch, or even snap the tracks (if they snap it's not too much of an issue, just hide the repair directly under one of the road wheels, or behind side skirts in the case of tanks etc) And obviously once you're happy with the new length you can then stretch the other track to match.

Finally, you don't actually need to stretch the tracks by very much. You only need to increase the length by 2 or possibly 3 track links to get a nice 'sag' (depending on the vehicle's characteristics) so I would test-fit the tracks between each bout of stretching. 

Rearguards

Badder

Many thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.  I've found that I'm a bit clumsy some times with this build and to be honest, I'm not sure I want to try this with the Kettenkrad.  I do actually have another item in the stash, a half track with 20mm AA on the back, now I can't be sure but I believe that has rubber tracks too and as a larger vehicle, that would seem to be a better candidate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK so the 190 is about done so onward and upward!  I've now completed the Bomb trolley and power cart with the exception (actually this is true for all the parts so far) for any mud or dust, I'll do the ground work first and see what colour the earth ends up!

So, here's the power cart.

38656613832_abd76aaea0_h.jpg

37801064285_2d8f0238cd_h.jpg

And the bomb trolley

38632636576_9743bd82ff_h.jpg

24816123988_0fd15b38b8_h.jpg

The bomb is from the Revell 190 kit with some lead in the nose so it sits on the trolley.  Just basic paint and a filter is all thats been applied so far.

Next I hope to get the Kubulwagon finished!

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more progress, I've finished the Kubelwagon!  It's the Italeri 1/35 model and is quite basic but it does the job.  I couldn't find any definative colour or marking information for a Luftwaffe example so I've winged it a bit going for one of the RLM greens!  Quite a simple build but some of the parts are a bit crude and the smaller ones break very easily.

38689180621_189e6c1dc0_b.jpg

38689180941_c27b66db25_b.jpg

24816296648_7ab80f4d7a_b.jpg

No more excuses, I've got to get on with the ground work and figures now!

Edited by Derek A
Replace Photos
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I hadn't realised how long it has been since doing any work on this diorama!  I haven't abandoned it, I've been busy doing other things, including my first diorama with ground work.  If I can work out how to update or link picturs from flickr i'll post a photo update!

38656674312_3c71495f37_b.jpg38689180941_c27b66db25_b.jpg38689230871_77af06bfc7_b.jpg38632683996_b619143964_h.jpg38656613832_abd76aaea0_h.jpg38632636576_9743bd82ff_h.jpg

Worked it out, these are the major elements of the diorama.

• Like 5

Great to see you're back at it and to for us to be reminded of how excellent this was promising to be!

May I suggest you edit the topic title with (replaced photos) or something, so that everyone knows you've put replacement pics up? Otherwise they might just see the photobucket notices and think the topic is 'dead'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Derek,

It's fantastic to see the replacement photos! I could only see a few of them when I last commented. Now I can see all of them and what a fantastic bunch of photos they are. All of the pieces are looking absolutely brilliant. Being an AFV modeller, it's not often I get to see bright yellows and rich blues! The colours of the carts are eye catching and make an unusual but aesthetic base for the weathering.

Whilst on the subject of weathering, I have to raise my one and only criticism, and that is with regards to the windscreen on the Kubelwagen. I can't believe that the driver/servicemen would wash and clean the whole vehicle, but leave the windscreen like that. Either the bodywork needs an ample application of mud, or the windscreen needs cleaning. I think the latter would be more appropriate.

I think your FW is stunning btw, clearly the star of the show.  We don't get enough aircraft in the dioramas section. I suspect most get hung from the ceiling on bits of cotton, left to slowly rotate back and forth with the draft from an open window, gathering dust and only ever seen from above by the odd inquisitive housefly.:D

I have only one question. Are you using oil paints for the weathering?

I have given you all the 'Likes' that I possibly can, but I'd give you a thousand more if that were at all possible!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Hi Badder, at the time I did the weathering on these I wasn't using much in the way of oils, it's mainly acrylic wash and enamel panel line washes.  I have invested in the first set of oilers from AK lnteractive and am experimenting with them on my Land Wasser Schleppr that I'm currently weathering.  Pictures will be posted when done!

• Like 1

Oh, and as for the Kubelwagen,  it was always my intention to finish the weathering on the vehicles when the groundwork is done so I could match the mud to the ground.  The windscreen I felt needed to be done as part of the build, it was my 1st attempt at a clean wiper area (?) if that makes sense!

16 minutes ago, Derek A said:

Oh, and as for the Kubelwagen,  it was always my intention to finish the weathering on the vehicles when the groundwork is done so I could match the mud to the ground.  The windscreen I felt needed to be done as part of the build, it was my 1st attempt at a clean wiper area (?) if that makes sense!

Ah, I must mention that I recall you mentioning that earlier, now that you mention it.:blush:

I used to do the same, but I've now settled on my diorama mud and earth colours for the foreseeable future so I can make my vehicles first and paint them muddied-up using the same pigments/paints. Having said that, my current 'Ever evolving diorama' is the first occasion where I'm making the diorama before the vehicles. 

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek A said:

I've hit a small problem, the base I prepared for the diorama has disappeared, I can't find it anywhere!  My carpet monster is evolving!!  😅😆

Derek, a good opportunity to find a larger base and make a bigger diorama then! If you don't mind me saying, your original looked a little on the cramped side to me, but I do understand that shelf sizes may limit diorama sizes!

Rearguards,

Badder