Pause beendet, zurück zur Arbeit! (Picture Links Revitalised)

Derek A

Right, I've obtained a new base which is larger than the old one but it still looks crowded so I've decided, the Kettenkrad is out, there just isn't room for it.  I'll need it to tow my Me 262 when I build it anyway!  Pictures will follow as I put the groundwork together.

Work continues now on the bits and pieces that will be needed to dress the scene.  You can't have a break without a mug of coffee, these are yet to be finished but so far so good!

25168861288_1d356fe680_h.jpg

I will need some people to drink the coffee so here are 3 of the 5 figures as a work in progress.  I'm not a figure painter so I tend to keep it simple!

25168862348_3dbfbaebab_h.jpg

Tools and equipment other than the ground equipment will be needed so here is the Engine mechanics steps with his plug spanner and a couple of spare spark plugs!

25168863438_db4204ae75_c.jpg

And finally, for now, his cantelever tool box!

25168860408_7edacf6ce1_b.jpg

I will be starting that ground work soon!

Edited by Derek A
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

At last I've got around to the basic base!  I have used Art Mache instant paper mache to cover the picture frame to a depth of 7 to 10mm to allow some very basic sculpting.

24365488457_63bd77e6d2_h.jpg

39198975342_9d9f3476e3_h.jpg

And while that's still nice and damp, I've laid in the planks (lollypop sticks cut to represent planks about 2m x .2m) into the base.

38351641145_1ed127b1e2_h.jpg

I have added some rutting for the aircraft wheels and a basic peri track which will be more obvious when painted and the grass is added.  Unfortunately, this will take a while to dry, at least a couple of days even with me encouraging it with the wifes hairdryer (I'm hoping she won't miss it!).

More pics as it progresses!

Right, time to paint the base now that it's thoroughly dry.  First is a coat of dark umber for the ground and yellow ochre for the planks using artist acrylics:

25501133618_08027348a1_h.jpg

Then I over-sprayed the ground with a light coat of Vallejo Color Earth Brown and gave the planks a coat of Vallejo Color Deck Tan.

25501130368_b9075f7882_h.jpg

I've used a soft pencil to roughly mark ot the bare earth and grass areas, after which I paint on a thin PVA and sprinle on some sand for texture.

25501131908_ea488a1579_h.jpg

Once thats dry, I removed the excess and applied the static grass, I used 2mm grass to keep it short.  The planks are also treated with various washes to give them some variation in colour and hey presto:

24505700887_f351595ab0_h.jpg

I have a base ready to install the models and to add a few finishing touches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Getunderit said:

I am new to static grass. What did you use for gluing the grass in place? Will the grass stay fixed over time?

I used thin PVA applied with a soft brush and then applied the static grass with the applicator.   It's only the second time I've used it so as to it's durablity, only time will tell! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Derek A said:

I used thin PVA applied with a soft brush and then applied the static grass with the applicator.   It's only the second time I've used it so as to it's durablity, only time will tell! 

Thanks for sharing.

I will be giving it a go one day myself. I have already bought some light and dark grass, but not specifically called 'static grass' as I found out later. They are made from plastic, so I am hoping they will become statically charged. My applicator will be homemade from an ionizer and an old wooden handled metal sieve. I suppose I could first try a dry-run, and if it works, then do it again with the thin PVA. 

I haven't posted any pictures of me 'putting it together as I didn't want to spoil the overall effect.  So here it is finished.

27633814829_83b23fb656_h.jpg

This and more in the ready for inspection section!

• Like 2

Derek, you made a LOT of changes from previous post to this one. As if from half-way you jumped to the finish. A lot of detail work can be seen here.

Fantastic realism and it fits the title perfectly. I can see that the flight lieutenant is not too please with the progress. He was hoping to get back in the air (with his life-jacket on).

It is very inspiring to view this diorama. Have saved the image for future reference for myself.

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Getunderit said:

Derek, you made a LOT of changes from previous post to this one. As if from half-way you jumped to the finish. A lot of detail work can be seen here.

Fantastic realism and it fits the title perfectly. I can see that the flight lieutenant is not too please with the progress. He was hoping to get back in the air (with his life-jacket on).

It is very inspiring to view this diorama. Have saved the image for future reference for myself.

Thanks.

Thanks Peter, I suppose it was a bit of a leap but it mainly consisted of sticking all ready made bits to the base and I really wanted the finished item to have impact!  Have you seen the other pictures in 'Dioramas - Ready for Inspection'? 

Edited by Derek A
Link to finished dio
  • Thanks 1