Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

• 2 weeks later...

Not an update as such, sorry but I'm a bit hung up with the STGB Wessex but I've done some little bits mostly around the back seat

I have fitted it to the floor but it takes up too much visual space down there so hung up folded against the rear bulkhead looks likeliest, then I can finish up the instrument panel bits and bobs and close up the roof

I took my little jar of Compuclour RAF Blue Grey into the garage just to take off the lid and inhale with respect the scents of a different era

I was transported back in time a goodly step, it was great

Then I guiltily screwed the lid back down...

Oh well, won't be long now!

• Like 4

Paint

It should always smell like this and spray like a dream

Well at least I got the smell

Tied up with the aforesaid STGB (not a repeat target for the future, I cannot spare guaranteed time for it again) I did manage to get some Compucolor2 onto the Wessex and because it was ready for a splash I got some onto the tail pylon

Quite pleased too, that's the proper colour for a Naval Helichopter

P1110990.jpg

but it just looks black ish  :(

P1110991.jpg

Oh dear, it looks proper pusser in daylight

P1110992.jpg

Purrups the Andrew should have painted them in a lighter colour 
oh well

As I am waiting  for glossy enamels to dry I got time off the GB and spent a little of it with Wopsey

Bunged the stretcher/seat dooberri in and tackled the canopy/ roof thingy

P1110993.jpg

This was an early attempt that looked reasonable so we'll see how it comes out

P1110994.jpg

There is still some trimming to be done once the Formula 560 Cockpit Glue has set and clarified

P1110995.jpg

once this lot is settled I can begin building a Wasp, that'll be nice...

• Like 16

14 hours ago, perdu said:

There is still some trimming to be done once the Formula 560 Cockpit Glue has set and clarified

560 ?   I thought you had got one of those "call in the next 60 minutes to receive this special..."  UV curing glues ?

are you becoming a connoisseur of adhesives now ?  sampling different glues for different occasions ?

Perdu:  It's canopy time again Jeeves

Jeeves: I'll get the bonding agent for you sir !

Perdu: It's RAF Blue Grey....  Compucolour

Jeeves:  Ah.. in that case Sir, I'll break out the Formula 560

Perdu:  Oh... and bring some empire biscuits too Jeeves - I'd like to savor the occasion

Jeeves: Of course Sir! (bows slightly, then exits stage left)

• Like 4

Jeeves of course stiffened the fine upper lip and suggested that having yet so far failed to test the U.V for its hoped for amazing clarity it would be better to rely upon a known factor first...

But fear not, such a test will be arranged soon ish

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

As the Wessex sits quietly degassing in the garage whilst I ponder its further progress I have come home to little Wopsey

Some while ago, in fact several whiles ago, Martian and I were pondering how I would get the floatation gear sorted

At the time I think we were still pondering the undercarriagery so it needed keeping at the back of my mind

Anyway I have made a start, this is NOT the finished article but will be undergoing fettlising to make it right-er

Take a sheet of fresh, no sirrah, no offcuts for this kiddie, 0.060" Plasticard

And mark out and cut out a one inch square, also no metricals neither, to use on the journey

P1110999.jpg

With its rolled straight length of soft solder wire then shaped to suit

P1120002.jpg

the outrigger hardware is a-coming along

Hack out lots of unwanted plastic

P1120004.jpg

and you get a u-eish shaped arch that sits over the roof of the Wasp to which will attach the front floatation gear brackets

P1120005.jpg

still much ado about something, carving ensues

leaving me with the basics

P1120006.jpg

Slimming down is in my future, well Wopsie's future

Slimming in mine would require advice on well shock absorbing running shoes on a budget

And a drastic reduction in beer intake

P1120007.jpg

The arch structure has its shape defined now, just needs that slimming down treatment

I might pass on it for me

;)

The roof glazing needs more darkening but at least it seems to fit reasonably well

Tomorrow is another Bond film...

:thumbsup2:

• Like 12

Very nice Bill :)

Don't talk to me about slimming - still on the blasted diet; no bread since Christmas! I'm aiming to lose a stone and then it's a nice crusty white loaf and custard slice for me!

"...a drastic reduction in beer intake" - nah, beer's good for you!

• Like 3

I'm gettin' flippin' tired of this

Your previous content has been restored.  Clear Editor

every time I go to make a post.  I can't believe this forum software is so bug ridden that they created a pseudo help message to try and hide the fact that they screwed up the editor.

Sorry Bill.... rant now over.

anyways....  back to your regular scheduled programming.....   So you're now making a Tiara for teeny weeny flighty mites then ?

I can't wait to see the bling added

• Like 2

I can't understand why you dislike it so Hendie, I get all perficated if it isnt there when I come back into a thread

("Oh yes dear, I get you, They call it brainwashing...  Well they won't have needed much Vim with mine...")

Yes soon be blingy time...

:)

• Like 1

I like the work you have done on the arch. As for even the thought of a reduction in beer intake is enough to drive me to, well, beer! :drink:

Martian

• Like 1

Well if you are off to the pub Martian, pop round and pick me up any time.  

Hehe

I've started reducing the arch further this am (so I can make it bigger again when I produce the I beam section later) and it is getting there

I won't do pictures yet, I'll wait til there's obvious differences or it'll do yer eyes in

I have Steve (worm) to thank for the brilliant structural diagram of the jury arch and the hinges and float detail drawings, cheers Steve

Which brings my wandering mind round to our learned friend Mr Fritag, I hope you are OK out in dodgy ski territory

You was a'gooing to Italy wasn't yer...

• Like 2

No sign of Martian, oh well I'll pop a can later instead

:)

I've thinned the jury arch now and its time to add the flange sections round the edges

0.005" plasticard strips TamExThin'ed to the inner arch section first

P1120009.jpg

This gets trimmed to within a millimotor of its edges

P1120010.jpg

and hung over the windows to dry......

Like so

P1120011.jpg

Then on with the outer limits strip

P1120012.jpg

to be trimmed too

All the excess arch is gone away now and this is the size its to be, just lengths to trim and slots to cut for the swing mechanism

P1120013.jpg

I dont intend to attempt matching two identical float assemblies when I have casting rubber in the garage

so I made up two outer blanks

and a central plate

P1120015.jpg

P1120017.jpg

and got stuck in

P1120020.jpg

here's where I am tonight

P1120025.jpg

The jury arch is ready for its slots and the float is ready for its ribby bits

Later maybe

ciao

• Like 14

Nice arch bill! She is really taking shape, and hopefully the correct one! 

As for diet, I watch my calories.... I have chosen a form of diet beverage, it has less in it and you only need to drink half as much but your twice as drunk... they call into whiskey.... no need to thank me, just drink up

Rob

• Like 2

Wasp and ale, you can't beat that anywhere

I wonder if they'd let me take bits of Wopsie into the 'Old School House' tomorrow?

Do a bit of late homework...

I do have a bottle of Golden Hen downstairs, wondering whether to chill it or partake at room temperature

I've been doing the calculations for the highly visible structural mesh around the flotation covers

(seven gaps across 0.750" equals 0.10714....)

getting it now but a shortage of 0.020" strip heralds a break

Pics tomorrow when the casting buck is done/doing

(less confident after the painting disaster on the Wessex t'other day)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

No sign of Martian, oh well I'll pop a can later instead

I tend to keep a small barrel in the house but you are more than welcome to drop by. The work on the floatation gear looks very promising.

Martian

• Like 2

Bill, your arch is a triumph of micro engineering.  I was looking at mine last night :blink:... the Wasp that is.  I couldn't resist cutting a few parts off the runner tree and trimming some flash. BUT DID NOT START BUILDING ANYTHING... just yet !

I am going to have trouble creating that archy thing in 1/48 - how you do it in 1/eleventy-two is beyond me.

If you don't mind, I'll be pulling on your knowledge of things Wopse and Scouty to guide me and keep me on the straight and narrow when I attempt my conversion as I know absolutely nowt about these strange creatures.  They were just insects at the other end of the airfield when I was busy getting sunburn in HK.

I did manage to find a bunch  of photo's of 660 Sqn Scouts with and without the safety bra, but haven't made up my mind if I'll be attempting such madness just quite yet... (though I do feel a side build coming along soon as I am beginning to feel a little over-trained recently)

• Like 1

Hendie, its like this...

Take a sheet of (maybe) eighty thou plasticard, new, then cut out a corner and get a length of solder

Then follow the how-to-do-it above. ;)

S'easy

Ish

As you know if I can I'll help but as its you I don't expect you'll need me to poke my nose in v. much

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Now what I want to see is Hendie's take on the BS RR Nimbus in bigger scale

working on it. I'm working on it !

I've spent the last couple of evenings assembling and pouring over photo's.  I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to remove the big lunch box that those fish 'eads tacked on the underside.  There's a substantial amount of fuselage that needs culling  - and therefore replaced with something much more befitting an aerodynamic flying machine.

The lathe will definitely come in handy for Nimbussing, but I'm kinda limited to just making things different diameters just now ('cuz of limited tools) - and SWMBO is keeping an eye on me. So nimbussing may test my engineerygenuity skills to the max.

• Like 1