Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

I have to admit operating under the affluence of tolerably minute amounts of incahol, but no other mind alteration

All my abberations are my own work......

As Crisp suggests, is it time for a bit/lot more Hawking yet?

• Like 2

I love the way this is coming along.  Wish you would hurry up and finish it so they will release the new 72nd scale kit of it as I have wanted one for a while.

• Like 2

Too kind Si, but thank you

Now

You know how you're supposed to get nice things at Christmas?

Grrr

At our club we do a Charity Challenge 'Thing' at the Christmas meeting, some of you may remember seeing me get stitched up with a silly little Japanese navy thing at some ludicrously tiny scale a while back

usually one is lucky enough to draw something interesting out of Santa's sack, I have scored the Sea Fury that is into its next colour scheme incarnation and more recently the Puma I quite enjoyed doing as well as the famous Auster and that damned Italian Bomb Boat from last year's competition (2015/16)

This time fate laughed on seeing my approach to Santa's Grotty

I got a target

The 'gifts' had to be completed and comp table ready for this month's meet

I suppose this will have to do

P1120277.jpg

Throwed together I admit with no love for the subject and even less knowlege about it either

Tamiya Panzer IV Aufs D I think

Waste of a decent kit I suppose but the rules is the rules

"If Ye Doesn't Produce Said Model In March Ye Shall Pay Forfeit"

Tomo escapes because he missed the memo about a changed club date, 'tain't not fair  :(

P1120280.jpg

Lots of pastels dusted all over, looks like I need to bung some black stuff down that hole  :)

P1120279.jpg

I've been working on the main rotor head gear for the Wasp tonight, not taken any pictures but I think I'm getting it ready to be folded up nicely when I finalise the pitch changery rods lengths

night all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 11

As you say, a total waste, not only of the kit but of your time too, when you could have been building something you enjoyed.....

Ian

• Like 1

True Ian but the game's the game, we mun play it

The targetmen are always trying to get us cross-interested so from their point of view a model they don't want might kindle an interest

I've seen it happen in the club, but I've done with armour these days

I'm old, time is in short supply  :)

( that said I do own an unbuilt Airfix Cromwell I bought for three and a half quid)

Nice tank Bill.

Like you I'm not a fan of building targets but I can see you've worked your usual magic on that one... rusty tank, oily wheel thingies, whip aerial, great detailing... all good stuff.

• Like 2

Bad luck Bill! The vast majority of target kits just leave me cold. I think I would have gladly paid the forfeit were I in your shoes.

Martian

Cheers guys, there's no doubt we aerophiles are different is there. ;)

Not in any way better but very different

I used to build them, won a class at "The Nats" once with a scratch built BMP but these days my needs are more aerially aligned,  with occasional and still within my own remit, excursions to carts and carriages

It goes against the grain to pay the extra Martian because as a club thing the potential change does some good

We do have die-hards that would rather pay than play but it's not my way

• Like 1

I managed quite a bit of main rotor gear linkages today and will probably do a bit more after The Last Kingdom

P1120283.jpg

The two main sections of MRG alongside a tail whizzy thing off something else, there's always something else to break the concentration isnt there?

P1120285.jpg

Ah that's better

here against the real thing

P1120288.jpg

P1120289.jpg

The control rods are being sized and connected tonight, I'll show them when they are ready for paint, there are a couple of extra counterbalance type weights to add  between the top cruciform and the lower one so that's the next stage

You can just make them out next to the rotor shaft

More fun coming next time

;)

• Like 10

Great scratch building on the model that shows us we don't have to rely on resin/etched brass aftermarket to make a decent model - good to see these skills demonstrated here - looking forward to the RFI

CJP

I think this will do for the MRG now, the counterweights are installed too

P1120295.jpg

What else does it need?

Ah yes paint - tomorrow

P1120296.jpg

This is the later type main rotor head I think with lots of wibbly warblers onboard, should look interesting painted up

And yes the tail rotor is underweigh  ;)

Base Blue/Grey on the centre section, white and black next for the blades

P1120297.jpg

Confession time

I'm very pleased with the little counterweights here, very.

onward mes braves.

(the sharp eyed amongst us will have noticed the drawings being modifed in action)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 10

likewise greetings to our adopted murrican cousin, cheers

Glad you didn't get to meet any icebergs whilst floating across the oggin Crisp

(OK indulge me, I like to think a naval type would only go if he could go boating across )  :)

Stanford U huh, do have a great time over there buddy  (idiom check #1  expect many over the next few ) ;)

rotor head looks great. IMPRESSIVE even

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Glad you didn't get to meet any icebergs whilst floating across the oggin Crisp

Nope - they're all on the same side of the country as me at present. And because I'm sick of the snow round here, I'm heading up to wunnerful Erie again next week to have a look at their snow

• Like 3

yup, makes sense to me

take photos, we (many of us) missed out on any decent snow this last winter

(caveat time...many of us had far more snow than they wanted  I didnt get more than a half day of whiteywhitegarden) :(

I just can't help speculating on how much more detailed this could have been Bill if you'd only knocked up some photo-etch. It's just a shame to see such an opportunity wasted like this...:whistle:

All joking aside, I remain in awe of the level of micro-quality that the likes of yourself, Crisp, Tomo, hendie and Martian regularly display, and which I struggle to approach.

I shall be bereft when this gem of a Wasp is finally finished.

'Baron Brass-Neck'