Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

(quiet sniggers off stage...)

thank you guys

I really appreciate all this b... stuff

(what did the fat lady on M&W always say? ah yes  "I LOVE YOU ALL!")

;)

ta guys

Edited by perdu

Superb Bill. Blimey though I miss a club meet and I miss out on seeing you buy some bits of metal... welcome to the dark side. Seriously though, although they can be a pain to glue and cut, they don't arf look good.

Black nethergarb?

Its a thought but I have none of that stuff you use Crisp and little favour for the stench round here

(not me I hastens to remind ye all, but Mrs P has a strong detestment for any stinkies)

In all honesty I expect the first coat of thin Compucolor2 will act as a virtual undercoat and its dark enough anyway

Ill be adding as many of the RAF BG items as poss before I paint, that's lashing eyes and loops, the weird brake line traces round the legs and an assortment of other oddities to boot (yes including I band transdooberries)

Now I am happy with the basics for the flot gear I am working out whether I need more fifteen thou for the Forth Bridge assembly which is quite complex and has multiple crossframing

I'm going to be using another two or three inches of what is left on the floats, that will leave no more than five inches to build bridges with

I may be away for a bit, shopping...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Mrs P has a strong detestment for any stinkies)

Just what Mrs Martian said to me the last time I had baked beans!

Martian

• Like 1

As the floats will be the most prominent things on the helicopter when (IF) I finish I have been adding stuff to sit atop each side

The air bottle and the three way union next to it

The actuator blocks at the outboard ends and some of the piping that makes it go "phutttt!"

Also the pressure release valve at the opposite end to the air bottle and the fixtures which make the arms stay stuck on in use

P1120210.jpg

The fuselage rear mounting points now have their rods attached and I have been making new channel section pieces for the lower piece of the clamshell underneath

P1120211.jpg

here in full glorious colour in the foreground

Can you see where they are yet?  ;)

These are five thou plastic sheet form wrapped around a six inch steel rule and then persuaded to stay in shape by wafting a lit ciggy lighter along the folded edge

I gave up the fags nearly forty years ago but I can't bust the fag lighter habit for the life of me

if I'd kept smoking I would still be using a hot red end to make rivet heads....   (NO, there is a place you must not go)

There is no known substitute for that in plastic handling, mushroomed heads are fabulous rivets

The channels are what holds the arms to the clamshell in real life and after lots of worriting I decided if its good enough for Westlands it might do it for me

I didn't fancy trying to drill little holes, then bend the nickel rods at tiny angles just to keep the floats on the arms and glue them with stuporgoo

I may yet still need to mix up some five minute epoxy for adhesive poipoises, we'll see

The airbottles don't have their fastening straps attached yet, tomorrow will do for that 

night night, bed bugs and all that

• Like 9

There's tiny and there's tiny - those bits are tiny. Good work Sir, can't wait to see how it all goes together.

Adhesive poipoise eh.

I'll pop a farthing on a greyhound that the highly esteemed Mr Attenborough has never seen one of those

on his "Blue Planet" adventures............

(Mrs Miggers is at her most thriftiest when such frivolous activities as financial arrangements with greyhounds

are mentioned,so no more than a farthing it shall be)

You're making me want to bung my doobious effort of many moons ago in the bin and have a goo at a nother

Vasp Villiam!!!!!

Edited by Miggers

I cast a speculative eye over the Airfix Scout recently, thought of this build, then quietly backed away into the shadows. Every stage of this has been mind-boggling Bill. Panache and precision: love it.

Tony

Tony old bean build it, there's a lot of meat in a Scouty sandwich all fun and enlightenment

Anyway, just to prove it isnt only Fireflies, Baccycuders and Seekings getting ready to go out, here is Wopsie awaiting a first wave of the airbrush

I have bunged on the bean can, the little thin spiky tube under the schnozz and the pair of obscure little brackets on the tool box at the backside of the aeroplane

The uprights are ready for trimming for the floatation doohickeys and the jury frame is sat downstairs with the front float frames awaiting a little dab of RAFGB

P1120212.jpg

And a view from the stubbord side

P1120213.jpg

Entertaining times await me now as I wrassle with the rotor gear and get the paint onto the weapons carrier racks

Whose Dumb Idea Was This?

(the title of my next book when I can cut a deal with the publishers of The Dandy And The Beano)

I was contemplating getting paint and transfers on and making  the Mini Forth Bridgey thing for the folded rotors when I realised I still haven't worked out a way of making the tail pylon act as if it is hinged and locked

I suspect I will be following the CrispAFU's plan for a disguised rod through the lot

Onwards and onwards and...

• Like 15

Them buttery castors (a piece of toast always falls butter side down?) and all the sticky out dangliy things look too good to paint.

Vunderful Varspie

Box on

Strickers

52 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

This is looking cracking, Will it be ready for Cosford?

Sadly Tomo's and my club failed to get a space booked in time for the closing date. :(

The club have decided to take the gear just in case they get a 'drop out' at the last minute, not sure whether Tom will be there

I have however arranged to be with the Midget And Sprite Club at the Practical Classics And Restoration Show at the NEC for a change

All the major dates for either hobby seem to gallop along on the same dates, Telford included so with Cosford only a 'possible' it seems a timely excuse for a change

Only fair to support a club I served as chairman for a couple of years isn't it

And as a pensioner I get free travel to the NEC and I'm hoping to wangle an entry pass

Maybe...

Sorry though, I'd have enjoyed another natter, maybe Neil might be there too, I bet Bomber Command got their request in time

• Like 1

You love a little bit of an exaggerate don't you Hendie

There's 45 pieces in the kit, plus transfers (FAR FAR TOO OLD TO CALL 'EM DECALS) :)

by the time I'm done eleven of them will be in the model

two halves one rear wall one floor and one engine deck

one rotor pylon

one rotor head

four main rotor blades

and one cyclic, which isn't actually off a Scout

This one is off an Airfix CH46 Sea Knight but I'll count it so lets call it a dozen

Ah shucks lets make that  a baker's dozen, I'm using the base of the centre console too

Hardly using anything Airfix didn't make any more  :(

Having fun tonight shaving plasticard to make tail rotor blades

Rounded front and two different tapers at the back of the blades

Starboard side gets a plain taper to the back and the port side gets a concave section like the real thing's flat bladed tail rotor

I confess I don't know the sections of the early tapered blades, these are the rectangular blades in later service

Started the main rotor head gear too, more fun

night all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

This is staggeringly good!  Just thought I might mention my Warpaint book on Scout & Wasp is advertised in this month's issue of SAM and is at the printers now.

Will be available at the Southern Expo show.

• Like 1

I don't suppose you need a cheap reviewer do you Adrian?

:)

Not to worry, I will be checking it out

I have been waiting for that almost as long as Freightdog's Wasp, which I may not have any further interest in...

More's the pity, I've seen the castings and they are brilliant

Thank you Ced, She has always had a soft spot in my heart

Ever since Alan Hall's Airfix mag article back in the stone age

• Like 1