Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Thats possible Martian but since it's a home brew I can always do another if I gotta!

Its very liberating to be totally in charge of this aspect

What happens when the kit transparencies go downstream?

Model kaput. :(

But when you roll yer own its a different ball park. :)

Had few people passing Wopsies lil brother at Huddy yesterday that did that lovely double take thing

I hope they'll even notice tiny liddle Wopsie, maybe not huh...

Seeing you and Mark was great too

I like the Huddy show a lot, it's going to have a permanent spot in my calendar

I was dead chuffed to get the Best In Class for the Hansom, didn't expect to get anything for the Auster when dr-gn was in the class though but a bit disappointed that some git broke one of the aerials off

In all you guys made up for it

• Like 3

Hi Bill a bit late in the day finding your Wasp build but hey I just caught up. You've been pretty busy with this one, looking seriously good though, more power to your elbow...

Colin

• Like 1

Wopsie feels a bit subdued by all these massive builds round here but I have managed to get some of her little changes started

can you see what I'm at lately?

P1120030.jpg

in a bit closer

P1120031.jpg

roof lights masked for a few coats of Tamiya Clear Blue and Smoke, if that doesnt work it'll be off with the roof and on with the felt tip pen in navy

Also beginnings of rotor folds coming along

Nights of fun ahead me hearties

Edited by perdu
  • Like 9

Shhh, its not all fun

I just spent two days standing up in the auxiliary modelling room [the garage] building, shhh again, a tank in one very huge scale

because I needed a large quantity of proscribed indoors adhesive for it

(Blimmin' chariddee build time again folks, this time round a Tamiya Panzer IV  :(  )

Still tomorrow is paint a lot time, including Wessex, Wopsie and the tank

• Like 2

It's quality not quantity Bill. If the canopy plan doesn't work, I've known folk dip canopies in Future Klear mixed with acrylic ink, especially for tinted F16 canopies. In theory you would increase the proportion of ink to increase the opacity.

• Like 2

I'd say the plan worked

This is the look I aimed for so it will suffice

P1120035.jpg

several light mists of Tamiya Smoke over Tamiya Clear Blue

So on with the other stuff we do to these little bits of plastic

no 42

Masking

Sorry we have a darker picture but the flash wasn't very good here

P1120037.jpg

Bit better here though, t'other side

P1120038.jpg

The rotor pylon has its support structure and the engine is on for encouragement only, 'tain't glued on

we've paint to endure/enjoy soon  ;)

The float here shown in its immaturity is my least favourite bit

I knew when he said it why Martian, the chronicler of all things Scout and Wasp back in the day, asked what I intended to do about the flotation gear

Was never going to be a shoo in was it?

Thank the lord for evergreen 0.020" x 0.020" strip which is going to save my sanity

This is definitely going to be cast, I'm beggared if I'm making two of them from plasticard

Cusses, mumbles, drat those pesky kids, darn the...

...............................ow

Oh sorry, I got a little bit Blyton there   :(

Apologies offered folks, almost unforgivable but it'ld be nice if you tried

Edited by perdu
  • Like 14

canopy turned out good - completely as I expected mind you.

when you've finished making the flotation gear and then found out that it's scalekrept and too big, I'll take it for the Scout thank 'ee very much sir.  (just make sure it's around 1/48)

• Like 3

Don't think that even monumental scalekreep would get this one and a half times bigger H

But if YOU want one I might consider a large (sized) export order

I intend using mine to cast from if it fettles in nicely

I didn't take pictures yesterday but it is Hendie© 'greeblies' time

I'm bolting on the underside gubbinses which allow weapons fitment, not the actual racks yet though

Also trying to work out how to fit the shockers without having the fescalised bits painted at sprayer time

I might get something done with map pins that bend, my Albion Alloy tube prefers to kink if I try to bend it through those tiny holes in the lower arms

Always playtime isn't it. :)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Greeblies

AKA odd bits hanging off or laid on or tied to helochopters

Greeblies© Hendie

Anyway a picture (or some)

Starboard side with mainly the shockers for the 'spenders, a holey bracket on the engine deck which supports a thickish pipe and visible on the other side a nother bracket which will get some stuff added later

P1120040.jpg

Also with an early attempt at the flotation device webbed framework

P1120041.jpg

This was originally going to be a copy of the flotbox in Bob Hunt's drawings of the combined Wasp and Scout, which I think came originally from Aviation News

Unfortunately I kept getting the spacing wrong with the strip structure and I just couldn't get it looking right

Proper fed up I was so whilst perusing my plentiful set of photographs I realised that Bob had drawn the float wrongly

He drew eight sections of ribs when in fact there are only seven sections across, I'D BEEN TRYING TO ALLOW FOR 24 WHEN i SHOULD ONLY HAVE BEEN AIMING FOR 21  :(

Oh well, teach me not to check the sources, not as if I haven't seen issues with AN plans before is it

Other side view now

P1120042.jpg

Down legs for the cabin step and odd bits of undergreebly showing under the rear fuselage, shockers too as well of course

The engine deck has been drilled to suit the front engine bearer struts, not in yet

And below, many of the assembled greebly crew

The two dooberries under the port side seem to be part of the control systems for whatever weapons get fitted

The long strip is a stiffener that is on Scout too so I assume that is to do with load bearing capacity

P1120043.jpg

Assuming the curvi-triangular dipsy on the starboard side has similar responsibilities to the others

The view of below from aft

The pair of dump pipes were fixed in place

I thought, turns out that one was loose and capable of dropping out  :(

I'm glad I took the pictures of underneath because losing that would have been an embarrassment wouldn't it

P1120044.jpg

The rear winglets (OK? What would you have called the blimmin things huh?) are going to have a pair of thin brackets added,I assume for something like flare attachments

There will be lamps there will be weapons carriers there will be the radar chirpy cheep cheep thingmy too

There will be paint soon too

Not tonight though

ciao all

Edited by perdu
  • Like 8

Oh doh!

D'you know that moment of heart stopping 'soddit'?

I think I lost a spare year or two

I put Wopsie away in her cupboard and dislodged a HAS3 Wessex which is getting new front suspenders because... Just because I'm fed up with fixing it

Dislodged Wessex fortunately didn't fall the three and a half feet to the floor

Wopsie did

I threw away my specs so I could get down to collect the wreckage from the wood effect laminate floor, aha I thought, lose the carpet and disable the old CM, that was THEN :(

I swivelled the chair and stood up, did you know you can buy new gas struts for broken office chairs? (ask me later £12)

And there on the hard floor, sat on her dainty little legs

wopsie

unharmed

No loose struts

No dislodged canopy

No missing cockpit interior bits and most importantly

No broken legs

PHEW

Edited by perdu
  • Like 12

looks like you've been a busy beaver there Bill.   Lovely greebles and undergreeblies - and a tremendously lucky escape to boot !   Every now and then the gods smile down on us (mainly to lull us into a false sense of security though) - but it looks like they pulled through for you this time !

• Like 1

That's a work of art - the undercarriage alone must have cost you a few grey hairs.  Can't wait to see it painted.  As with so many builds on here, the biggest compliment i can pay is that I have to remind myself that it's 1/72.  So, like, uhh, TINY!

• Like 1

Lookin absolutely bostin Bill. Although your escapade draws analogies with a cat falling from a skyscraper and landing on its feet. Prey thanks to all its triangle strut construction bits and their geodistic properties that it lives on in WIP land and not the spares box! Bring on the paint.

• Like 1

Might be right Tom, I didn't watch her land

I suspect she landed on her acetate noddle and did a little flip-bounce onto her feet

I never want to test fly her that way again to test the theory.   :(

I've some pipes, rods and control runs to add before paint but it shouldn't be long now

Then will come the mighty Brick in S1 and S2 guise,I'm bustin' to have a knock at them

Need to find some of those bluey grey letters and numbers soon

Did I mention I've got a Frog Toom in the stash too...

• Like 3