Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Gentlemen ( other gender is/are av...) thank you for your kindness

Bell206 as she is going to be all folded up tidy like I thought 'as per ground handling' would be right for the little lady

Waspie will get her innards first, then a coat of blue/grey and then her engine will be along with shinier tailpipes,

As Naval Nimbii seem to have been kept a tad shinier to help keep corrosion away it's the look I'm going for.

• Like 2

I am cheating

This picture shows the new hydrauilc pump alongside the rotor gearbox which gave me hours of fun today after I had to suspend work on the clutch on my Midget

(spigot bearing and aftermarket rear oil seal gone for lunch and no chance of getting replacements til  at least Monday!)  :(

But after making the pumpery and beginning getting the IP sorted too (I made a lovely IP with its instruments hanging off the back of the panel as per the real thing, as so often  scratchbuild size creep set in) I thought Id pop the Nimbus roughly in place, just so

P1110902.jpg

The new oil cooler assembly was popped on too, just to see

The rotor pylon is a fixture now with its cyclic and collective rods in place (By absolute guesswork, picture shortage again)

It may be wrong as is but it helps fill the cavity behind the cabin wall  ;)

P1110903.jpg

This one from the other side, just for giggles

The bars off the port side of the IP is where the mission based equipment is to be fitted, this Wasp will not be equipped with AS12s but will have the torpedo setting box atop the dash and be carrying at least one type 44 underneath

I need to find colours for 'war' torpedoes, I've plenty of DP and other training rounds photos with blue bits all over

I think it may be basically an olivey green body, silvery aluminium tail with a yellow band round just behind the nose cap but I'm reluctant to guess wrong about it

I'd rather just make it a training mission with training rounds aboard

Anyway, a last pic from the starboard side, no drive shaft fitted yet either, of course

P1110904.jpg

I hope to get the interior done soon, I want this one to take the trip to Huddy with me next  month

Edited by perdu
  • Like 13

A little more work done this evening

The IP has its little black boxes added, according to Crisp the one atop the centre is the torpedo control unit

It is too small for me to attempt the little knobs that set the Torpedoes, sorry but I can't do it that small any more  :(

The left seater''s panel is more of a shelf holding comms type kit, so more little black boxes unspecified

I suspects they'm to do with a suitable missile fit, not needed here but they fill a couple of blank shelves

So the IP and centre switch console are nailed down now and the bracing bars mounted underneath them

P1110915.jpg

Because there are skillions of objects potentially in the way a test fitting of the screen seemed feasible, luckily for me it fitted

Just  :)

I have also added the collective and a small switchery type lever just below the IP

Oh yes a knobby device that looks just like a handbrake, bet it is

P1110917.jpg

P1110918.jpg

P1110919.jpg

A bit blurry but this does show the little reddish brown switchy lever by the IP

Gotta love Slater's 0.010" rodding, fabulous stuff for detailers

And I painted the jetpipes naval style, I suppose its right but I feel I've lost something now

:(

P1110922.jpg

P1110923.jpg

P1110924.jpg

That's it for now, engine and box back into the Midget tomorrow

I may be some time...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 16

8 hours ago, woody37 said:

It's coming on a treat now, it amazes me how you get so much into such a small chopper!

Where's Ced when you need him?

And a fine little chopper it's turning into......

Ian

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Where's Ced when you need him?

And a fine little chopper it's turning into......

Ian

He said he was a bit under the weather and it had left him a bit off his stroke! (fnar, fnar!)

Martian

• Like 3

Just caught up with the last couple of instalments Bill and mightily impressed by the amount of Waspish detail that you're managing to cram into such a small space. Ditto your comments on the Slater's roddery; magic stuff - that and their microstrips are a permanent presence on my bench these days.

Do you use a magnifier when you're working at this level? I find my eyes just can't handle the finer stuff without one these days.

Lovely work.

Tony

Thank you guys, eyeballs behind reading glasses Tony but my Optivisory thing lurks nigh at hand

I haven't used it much yet because I have difficulty getting spatial awareness (with tools and the like) inside it

It looms large in the future it must be said

Prior practice and preparation preventing potential piffpoor performances as my old Training Major used to say

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Fine detailing Bill. Canopy looks good. Will show off all those knobs and lever thingies you've added. Don't forget to put the hand brake on when you park it on a hill though.

There's WAY too much parasite drag there for it to roll anywhere without power!

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Thank you guys, eyeballs behind reading glasses Tony but my Optivisory thing lurks nigh at hand

I haven't used it much yet because I have difficulty getting spatial awareness (with tools and the like) inside it

It looms large in the future it must be said

Prior practice and preparation preventing potential piffpoor performances as my old Training Major used to say

I use one of those big desk mounted magnifiers with a daylight lamp. I have the same problem with spacial awareness though, I have to keep lifting it to pick up tools etc.... I also have an optivisor thingy as additional aid...

Ian

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I use one of those big desk mounted magnifiers with a daylight lamp. I have the same problem with spacial awareness though, I have to keep lifting it to pick up tools etc.... I also have an optivisor thingy as additional aid...

Had the same problem too. My solution was to remove the magnifier glass and wear +3 reading glasses looking through the hole in the nice bright ring light. for doing detail work.

• Like 2

I bought an optivisor type thingie in the Modelzone closing down sale years ago, but still haven't really used it, as I already had a pair of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-Lenses-Glasses-Spectacles-Magnifying/dp/B01H7THA54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484438849&sr=8-3&keywords=clip+on+magnifier+for+glasses

(possibly not the exact same make, but the same type of thing). I also have the spatial awareness problem and find these have a big advantage in that you can just flip them up when needing to pick up a tool or dip a brush in a pot of paint (I kept missing when trying to use the optivisor!) Amazon list them in 2x, 2.5x, & 3x strengths. I have the 2x ones clipped onto 3x reading glasses & ickle things suddenly look very big when wearing them! :nerd:

Keith

• Like 2

Bill I like my cheap(ish) magnifier with the floppy lenses like this one. Mine lets me insert two lenses, both on flip-down hinges, so I have a 1.5x for normal use with a 3x in front that I can flip down when I need REALLY close up work. Not super-comfortable but good enough for me. HTH

• Like 1

Hi Bill, just found your build thread after you mentioned it eleswhere. You're doing some sterling work there on such a small kit. The Scout kit despit eit's age is stil a good little kit. Imagine if Airfix had had the foresight to produce the Wasp at the same time...

I'll keep watching.

Colin

I think these seats are overscale too so I might knock this on its head for a while

Not sure what colours I need for the type 44 either so it needs more thought

I will think about it today and decide tonight

Anyway seats and cyclic are in and the harnesses are on, there's only the back seat to pop in and  the harness tensioners to put on the seat backs

The canopy is not on yet but looks OK for guvvmint work when the frames get trimmed

see you all later

P1110939.jpg

P1110933.jpg

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 11