Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Oh WHAT a good idea Tony, once you are set up I'll happily design the fret for your production set

That is a wonderful offer, thank you, thank you

Wasp and Scout builders in future will praise you for your prescience, maybe even those making Feightdog ones could use the etch on theirs next/later this year

In the real world thanks for your always welcome comments but don't fret, there's a way to go yet

The people I hoped would send my decal paper have failed miserably, no news or paper so far

I'm waiting for a response to a very peeed off email but not holding my breath.   :(

Oh yes don't forget we go Bucanneering next, I hope that'll be nice

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, perdu said:

The people I hoped would send my decal paper have failed miserably, no news or paper so far

I'm waiting for a response to a very peeed off email but not holding my breath.   :(

Bill,

If it's laser rather than inkjet, and white rather than clear decal paper you want, I've spare sheet or two I'd be happy to send over. I used it on the Sea Venom build and very happy with the quality.

Ps. As you say, let's hold off on the perdu/baron PE empire until the Freightdog Wasp rolls out, then we can cash in...^_^

Tony

• Like 2

Lovely detailing, kinda looks a bit like a prehistoric insect. Perdu/Baron PE empire...like the idea of that. Presumably you will undertake commissions. I can keep you quite busy with stuff I would like for my future Belvedere build.

• Like 1

I regret Tony that the Perdu Towers printing empire is entirely dependent on inkjettery however your kind offer is gratefully received.

I had a response to my anguished plaint

"Our blahblah department is looking into your problem"

Yeah like...

I doubt I will be joyously endorsing their company in future

• Like 1

I'm blown so far away I'm typing this as I pass Mars (Hello little rover). Fantastic work. I baulked at attacking my 48th Fujimi Wasp because of the delicate nature of the work. Seeing this has motivated me to keep it in the box for now! :whistle:

What a stunning build :worthy: 

To be fair the Fujimi Wasp would deserve a bit of love, so why not give it some

All this build is about is a bit of passion and a lot of pig headed obstinacy

Airfix gives us something to play with

And I'm always up for a game, end of (as 'they' say)

If you're near Beagle you wouldn't mind popping down and turning it over and getting the batteries changed would you?

Eight AAA I understand.  😀

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Lovely detailing, kinda looks a bit like a prehistoric insect. Perdu/Baron PE empire...like the idea of that. Presumably you will undertake commissions. I can keep you quite busy with stuff I would like for my future Belvedere build.

Presumably starting with the underside mesh engine enclosures...

Don't forget I've got one too now. ;)

• Like 1

Well I was on the brink of throwing this in the spares cache but General Tomoshenko and my mate Steve have persuaded me to give it a chance (hi Steve!)

I have been fearing this stage but  there's no way I could do this with masks

Tailcone ROYAL NAVY decals   Doh

The cone has been Humbrol Clear-ed  and when the transfers were cut ready to fit given a splash of Microset (blue labelling) where upon the transfer was slid into place, this not easy due to the ribbing along  the cone

After a while some Microsol (red labelling) was brushed over the film

Before the Sol went on the film had gone down nicely, no silvering

When Sol started to work it silvered all along the spines

After a long while it showed no intention to settle, so I pooped the load

More Humbrol Clear brushed into the ribbing to get the air out

Didnt work

P1120300.jpg

P1120301.jpg

without flash its plenty  visible

With

P1120303.jpg

not nice, no way...

P1120307.jpg

So I entreat you modellers of BM, how do I proceed now?

Should  I attempt to get Microsol to penetrate the stupidly applied coat of Clear?

Should I attempt to remove the film entirely?

Should I attempt saving it by slicing the film along top and bottom of each rib the use a film of sorts to infiltate the grooves and stick it all back down?

I news I had hoped to be optimistic with, here's the painted rotor head gear ready for blade folding

This I am quite pleased with

P1120298.jpg

There is some minor adjusting to do (Tomo told me not to say that but, you know, ya got to)

P1120299.jpg

The arched pitch change link on the leftmost arm here needs wiping off and reattaching more accurately

The blade attachments need drilling for the blade bolt fitment, not doing that now until I get the tailcone right

IF!

Anyway, thank god for local clubs

The guy's new perspective has steadied my head now, phew

:thumbsup:

• Like 7

No Bill! You can't discard her after all that work! I'd prod the transfer with a blade / pin and try another dollop of Sol with the model supported so that the transfer is flat. If that doesn't work, some stronger setter (I have Daco strong). If none of that works, take it off with Sellotape and start again.

What a pain, but so close to a lovely model it'd be a shame if she didn't get finished.

• Like 2

OK Mark, that was my first/latest thought anyway so I have done that  :thumbsup:

I will be leaving it alone now, its in the cupboard it did a high dive from a few weeks ago

behind the Wessex that nudged it last time it did the dive

Ced, guess who has been searching for my lost roll of sellotape?

Which is lost and missing

And lost

We'll see how the Sol goes this time before I raid the kitchen Sellotape dispenser

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

I'm with the others. Try and get some sol underneath. (Which I see you have ) Did you try and roll a cotton bud over the decal after sol? This usually pushes out any air bubbles and forces the decal to conform. 

Looking great, you can't stop now.

Johnny.

• Like 2

I would first go along with what the others have said, perhaps using a stronger solvent. Failing that, I would carefully remove the decal and re-spray the tail boom. Binning this beauty after so much hard work would be nothing short of criminal. Besides, I want to see it at Telford!

Martian

Thank you Martian, guys this morning the port side tailcone has settled but the other side had just a little more silvering

I've re-slit the decal film in some places and reapplied the Sol

I'm not sure I can get a stronger dec solvent round here and I'm trying to reduce purchases online, too many dissapointing experiences at long range

Anyway up, fifty fifty so far, could be worse

I'm going to carry on and spray the rotorblades now, it looks like Humbrol old style Sea Grey Medium will have the 'right' colour cast from the pictures I've seen

Lt Admiralty Grey looks too blue. :(

• Like 3

Well of course Bill you know your talking out of your bottom end when you say your are going to bin this build!....you  know it will get sorted....I would have definitely had a go at hand painting ROYAL NAVY rather than decals...even though the scale is small...I sometimes use a brush that has no hairy bit attached...basically like a pen....which ever way you go...enough of the binning the project chat!;)

• Like 1

Something that also works at times is a bit of Future (or whatever your local variant is) applied to a cut/pricked decal. It seems to get in under and over the decal and standardise the finish.

My turn to encourage you perdu! :poke:

My weapon of choice for dodgy decals is Humbrol decal fix. It's pretty aggressive but, by God and Harry, it works. I had Daco strong which is a nuclear option but only had to use it twice before it dried out (my stupidity not Daco's fault).

If you need to remove the decal completely a recent Phantom build used a wire brush as used to clean spark plugs to very good effect.

• Like 1

And if all these decal solvent things fail Bill, take a deep breath, a fine brush, some thinned down RAF BG and paint over the damn carrier film! Take it slow & steady and have a few blunt toothpicks to hand to gently remove any overspill onto the lettering & I'm sure you'll beat it into submission. Final varnish coat will even everything out.

Keith

• Like 2

Right then Bill we've all had a few words and a bit of advice, so now you need to do the business and sort it. Worse case scenario / nuclear option is to get some of your nail varnish remover and try and strip the offending transfers off that way - and do your nails at the same time. Worse comes to worse and it attacks the paint (hopefully it won't, and just the klear), then it's a re-spray for the tail boom. Anymore talk of this throwing it in the spares cache malarkey, and it'll be off to the gun room with a stiff brandy and a loaded revolver to do the gentlemanly thing!

• Like 1

Sticking at it

The film has behaved, ish.  A little more fettling as I put the XT serial on should do it but, the ROYAL NAVY markings are dead on scale for 12 inch markings and also but, the Airfix kit is just a tad below scale

I'm having to pinch 'mini inches' from the tailcone to squeeze them in and allow room for DAN and his mate GER to sit where they have to

Thank god the lo-vis seems to use 4inch serials or I'd never get it done

I suppose I could always turn it to a Cloggy if push and shove got involved, slightly more space on their EDSG and Sky scheme maybe

Ah no just looked, theirs is rather busy too...

Oh well I'll press on and try for a few pics later, I've fixed the pitch lever and painted the main blades pre-fitting them to the head

Also used strips of black dec/trans sheet to mark up the tail rotor and cut a huge hole in the overhead panel on the observer's roof, because the Johnson's Klear bobbled and bubbled under the additional 'closing' piece and spoilt the roof

Should look better with a new fix panel up there

Onwards

Where did I put that camera. ;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

Thank all of you for the encouragement, norman service now resumed which means I took pics last night then got  diverted to share an hour of TV then went beddy-byes so here is last night's state of play

P1120308.jpg

The rotors please me quite a lot, funny what pleases us is it not :)

P1120309.jpg

Only one side done so far, the rest will of course follow later

;)

• Like 12