Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Blimey, gizza chance will ya

I have unmasked the Wasp

Not over keen actually the masking failed in one or two places, mostly near Sutton Coldfield

Still masked

P1120215.jpg

Cleaning as we go

P1120216.jpg

The foam crept out and stopped paint getting on this side panel :(

And the paper at the frontseats left residual torn tissue junk to be cleared away

I am happier with this side although the ribbing along the tail boom is losing paint chips in places

P1120218.jpg

biggest problem here is Vallejo Liquid Mask which ran amok inside the front door aperture, it's got in as far as the centre screen upright

Urgent unwanted beggaring about ensues

P1120219.jpg

big big problem at the moment is a reaction of sorts under the roof masking and minor overspray behind the doorway masking

A little attention from a size 0 paint brush seems called for, just to tidy the floor area

P1120220.jpg

The very evident liquid Mask sploshed all over the blimmin place  :(

And the masked front screen stay was not big enough, the paintbrush will be called in for this too, maybe the side panels rib whiteness too

P1120221.jpg

blimmin green everywhere dohhh

Broader centre strip masked ready for tomorrow in the garage

P1120226.jpg

P1120225.jpg

Not in view yet on a photo but the fescalised bits of the shocker stays are in now after an interesting time making them fit and work ready

I mentioned my Sea Fury which has been awaiting a coat of paint for about three years

The main coat is the Sovereign Hobbies Extra Dark Sea Grey, spinner is the celebrated Humbrol Authentics take on  the same colour

I kind of fancy the early EDSG all over with Sky type S undersides only

P1120223.jpg

So we have RAF BG, we have EDSG

We have me feeling a tad despondent    :(

• Like 12

Sorry to see how much extra work is now going to be needed. That really is cause to just put it down and go for a beer. But I'm sure you'll put it in its place.....

Ian

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll pull it all together in the end Bill.  You've put far too much effort into this to let it get to you now.

It always sucks when you get to the paint stage and summat goes awry. I think I ended up painting my DB5 about 3 or 4 times before I got the results I wanted.

Sit back, have a beer, have a day doing something else, then come back to it with a fresh mind.... and beat the crap out of it until it submits.  I know you'll get this one to fall into line

(for "beat the crap" read:  apply paint, apply skills, apply thyself )

• Like 2

Bill...been there done that gig mate!....I know how you feel...all the work and effort that goes into these little gems and problems arise!...but I have no doubt that a man of your caliber will get it all sorted!

All the same...she is looking fantastic!....now have a rest and get that teeny paint brush out!;)

• Like 1

Pity about the liquid mask leak Bill but not easy, at this size, to keep things under control eh?

She's looking very smart and I'm sure you'll fix the little niggles - I would put some down to weathering! 

She's looking like a little beauty!

• Like 1

Aw shucks it wasn't too bad,ten minutes in the garage with my mini bench atop the MG in very bright sunlight

A number one Rowney (always do your best repairs with Rowney brushes, I do) and the 'stuff' from under the paint pot lid

Sorted, pics later

The masking stuff still in some places but it will be possible to get a grip on most of it, boy that stuff is grippy

Also the front seats got pushed off their mounts, now back on better than aforetimes

Fun this arvo making the flots fit I hope and detail painting the wheels and tyres

Then I can build the rotor gear and blade support structure and get out the bright red paint

Oh yes

I've decided to remove the roof shading and redo from start, better do that before I fix the jury arch and flotation gear, the rough surface will look stupid under a gloss coat

So add three extra hours to today before the floats get done

Edited by perdu
rethink time...
  • Like 2

That is looking quite superb, so delicate looking, but as we know- strong!  Looks great with the paint on.

I guess this might not be a good time to tell you that there is a new Wasp conversion kit coming?!

• Like 1

Not a worry for me James, do you mean as well as the semi-mythic Freightdog one?

I've handled many of the exquisite castings for that one, they are brilliant

Its just a shame Colin has had such a hard time getting the clear castings organised. :(

I would have built it my way anyway, it is in part my own tribute to Alan Hall who inspired me to begin detail work so many years ago with the conversion in Airfix mag that also got into Scale Aircraft Modelling

8 minutes ago, perdu said:

Not a worry for me James, do you mean as well as the semi-mythic Freightdog one?

Semi-mythic? Like it, might use that in the marketing should it ever be ready, perhaps I should have got Mystic Meg to do the masters! Great conversion by the way, bit of old school modelling can be very rewarding.

Colin

• Like 1

I'll check that out in a minute James but first Colin are you having any luck yet with yours?

I have intended this build for over thirty years and if yours had been on the cards I would have built it

Indeed after being allowed access to those exquisite castings at Telford a while back I intend endorsing it as soon as you get it up and running, so many folk want a Wasp in their model collection

I dunno about mystic Meg doing the masters, your mastercaster is brilliant and I was very proud that he let me look at his little masterpieces

Right with that off my chest I'm off to see if this tablet will allow me to open a link today, some days I have to wait til the gaffer is off the PC later

Thanks James and Colin both

• Like 1

Seems to be a few threads that are getting close to to their denouement and authors are deciding to rewrite the chapters much to the amazement and pleasure of the onlookers and followers.

The bar is so high I can hardly make it out from down here.

Box On

Strickers

No rewrites here Stickers ol' bean, I forsee another week or so before I can get all 'converty' with a Frogalike Bucc to make an S1

The touch up and some detailing has been reasonably sorted so I'll pop in a couple of piccies tonight whilst wrassling with the rotor head

• Like 1

As we used to say around the turn of the century 'Goodness Gracious Me'

An S1?

Didn't Winkle Brown have summat to do with this beastie?

Oh Goodie Goodie Gumdrops more pearls of Wis from the Du

Strickers

Nice going Bill. Looking the part with all the spiky bits sorted and a coat of paint. Humbrol Authentics - they're like rare artworks that pop up for auction from time to time at Sotheby's - unlike their matt varnish. Nuff said about that stuff...

• Like 1

Still got  a few fabulous Authentics but I thought I needed to at least try the newer stuff

paints OK but I am a bit dubious about the colour of the EDSG

Wont matter, it could be much nearer to my memory for colour when its all decalled and varnished

You were talking about the Sea Fury I hope, I am  ;)

Anyway, back to the programme

I have tiggered about with bits that I wasn't so keen on (still am with some bits) and now declare myself happier

Here shown with a smooth shiny roof again

P1120228.jpg

And the tail pylon for perspection inspection

Wheels painted although in need of additional tidying and fescalised bits shiny as only real metal can be

False perspective bungs the pylon up on the tail, it bain't there for real I'm only kidding

P1120229.jpg

I rather like the view of the port side, lots going on in there

P1120230.jpg

P1120231.jpg

Tonight I've been deciding which type of rotor head gear to model. Airfix model the early type which has drag damping via what looks like big metalastic blocks , the later sort has a kind of shock absorber looking thing on each blade root with fitments from the individual root.

It looks as if the ones I will be choosing from mostly have the version modelled by Airfix, 422 in lo-vis markings from HMS Aurora or Achilles's 430 in the earlier white lettered style

A toss of a mental coin to decide which ship's flight to play with, probably the first one I find with all the doors off and a torpedo or two dangling below

That old cliché "bucket of sunshine" shot has been done to death I think

right I'm off building headgear (rotor head gear) night all

• Like 9

You cant turn your back on them even for one minute can you?

Look what happened

P1120233.jpg

Well it seems daft to leave it off, now I can wire and pipe her up for preflight

P1120234.jpg

Now, while that sets I have stuff to do

;)

• Like 10

My lip trembled a little when I saw your paint woes Bill, though I must confess that at that miniscule exquisite scale I had to take it on trust that there was much wrong, so little could I see astray. Great to see you making  with the positive waves again.:thumbsup:

Frome wasn't built in a day & etc...

Tony

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Are you sure Tony?

last time I rocketed through in the Relay Truck it only took a few seconds...

:)

b

That's the man officer. He was doing at least 33 in a 30 zone. When he stopped at the lights I could hear him muttering to himself about head gear. All very suspicious....

• Like 3