Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Bill... Wow !  what can I say ? 

Fantastic build and a great journey fraught with difficulty, sea monsters, and large bits of unknown.   It's been a pleasure to follow this through all the way.

I and I am sure pretty much everyone else on BM would be proud to have their name associated with a model of this quality.  I look forward to seeing this one win a few prizes

• Like 1

On 27/05/2017 at 11:12 PM, perdu said:

So here we are, journey's end for the Wasp

I have enjoyed it and I hope you have

I have. - TVM.  Your builds and threads are always amongst my very favourites on BM, Bill and Wopsie is a triumph :clap:

• Like 1

Stunning, Bill, absolutely stunning It's almost a shame this build had to end..looking forward to the Bucc though!

Ian

• Like 1

Absolutely cracking build there Bill, even the straps and lashings receive the ultimate attention from you. 

Still hard to believe that it's all in 72nd scale.

Well don eon the competition as well!

You just know that a Wasp kit will be released now, even then it won't approach anything like yours.

• Like 1

Smashing job on the ole waspie Bill, she looks beautiful. Shame about the Wessie yellow, one of the more interesting schemes but a right devil to get right!

Bob

• Like 1

And finally she makes it into a RFI, thanks for the help and encouragement

And the friendship

Cheers

(inept old me cannot make a tidy linking copy so I wont try again)  :(

On 28/05/2017 at 4:55 PM, hendie said:

and I am sure pretty much everyone else on BM would be proud to have their name associated with a model of this quality.

I would sir.  He can misattribute it to me anywhere and anytime he likes :)

17 hours ago, CedB said:

It's been a great journey and WHAT a result!

Rather than scour my thesaurus for superlatives I haven't yet used - I'll just adopt Ced's shouty-capitalised one :clap:

• Like 2

On 23/05/2017 at 10:31 PM, Jessica said:

The Sport of Kings (though admittedly much more fun in a Lynx than a Sea King!).  

That video illustrates the technique well; the aircraft remains in a pretty stable hover (relative hover; the cab is actually hover taxying along at c.10 knots, or whatever the Fish-heads have dialled on)... and the deck wobbles around beneath it.  You just have to be patient; sooner or later even in seriously rough sea you get a lull, at which point you have to be decisive and smack it down firmly.  Each hull has its own characteristics, to which you become accustomed - e.g. after a few months of flying from a Batch 1 Type 22 I could look along the side of the ship and predict when the stable moment was imminent - something about the way the bow reacted to a wave shape, though even at the time I'd have been hard pressed to explain exactly what I was looking for.

Now try it at night.

... or in something as flimsy as a Wasp!  Bill, your version of Messrs Saunders-Roe's final contribution to military aviation is a thing of absolute joy.  Fabulous work.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You just have to be patient; sooner or later even in seriously rough sea you get a lull, at which point you have to be decisive and smack it down firmly. 

And with the bear trap, you have help pulling you down, and a seriously strong piece of machinery which clamps onto a probe underneath the helicopter which keeps it from moving about once it's safely down. After all the folding is finished, the bear trap can move the helicopter into the hangar without any external aid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

And with the bear trap, you have help pulling you down, and a seriously strong piece of machinery which clamps onto a probe underneath the helicopter which keeps it from moving about once it's safely down. After all the folding is finished, the bear trap can move the helicopter into the hangar without any external aid.

Similar to the deck harpoon on the Lynx (though in our system there's nothing pulling you down until you touch the deck).  As soon as you touch the deck you can push through into negative pitch, which means the blades push the aircraft downwards into the deck (as far as I know, this is unique to the Lynx - & presumably the Wildcat - and is made possible by the semi-rigid rotor head).  You also have the "harpoon", which is a hydraulic arm under the belly, controlled by two switches underneath the collective, which grabs the grid in the deck.  Merlin has a beefed-up version of the same harpoon system.  This allows the aircraft to be sufficiently secure on deck for the ship to turn even before the deck crew have got lashings on; steady courses with submarines around = death.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

It is a happy coincidence that this build has risen to the top again, and Bill will probably be too modest to mention it, but this Wasp won a trophy at Telford.  Having seen it in the flesh it deserves every accolade that comes its way; though you know in your head how tiny it is, it’s only when you see it close up...

BZ, Bill [& Martian, whose equally exquisite Dutch Not-Wessex also won its category]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It is a happy coincidence that this build has risen to the top again, and Bill will probably be too modest to mention it, but this Wasp won a trophy at Telford.  Having seen it in the flesh it deserves every accolade that comes its way; though you know in your yead how tiny it is, it’s only when you see it close up...

BZ, Bill [& Martian, whose equally exquisite Dutch Not-Wessex also won its category]

Well...to be honest ,having read all comments about the prose, I asked for the link to the WIP ad, at the time of this build, I hadn' t joined BM yet.I went through it last night and I have to day the prize was wè IL deserved,as well as Martian's wonderful non Wessex!!!

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

it’s only when you see it close up...

Well said Crisp!

And hearty congratulations Bill!

This wasn't a journey to Telford for me but a truly Chaucerian Pylgrimage to the Blue Wasp....

Tony

• Haha 2

I’ve already done my congrats over on the Bucc thread.  But working on the principle that great work deserves maximum appreciation I’ll repeat em here :penguin:

I didn’t think Scoutie could be bested - but Waspie has done it :worthy:

• Thanks 1