Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

OK question for Crisp

Do these look enough like the things you would have seen when the chaps on the deck held them up to advise they were not still holding your machine down on deck?

P1120772.jpg

The ratchets have been giving me mucho entertainment, in the end an Evergreen U section larger than the U section I used for the base can be (JUST) encouraged to sit over the size below...

Sadly, no ability to pull the ratchet release trigger to set the optimum strap leftovers

Never mind, we need to make some sacrifices dont we

The ratchet handle section is represented by the moulding to the right

Here it is inverted so the channel can be seen that shares the inner channel position

P1120775.jpg

That should get that one sorted

P1120776.jpg

Wipers next,  I think I may be some time, a longer time

Oh for an old school Humbrol Matt33...

• Like 8

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Oh for an old school Humbrol Matt33...

Or even an older school Airfix Matt 6!

Martian, giving away his age.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Or even an older school Airfix Matt 6!

In those funny little square glass bottles? That 10 year old fingers always struggled to get the tops off....!!

Well done at the comp. Bill, totally deserved!

Keith

• Like 1

Persoomably the Matt 6 in the square sided glass jar, the paints that smelled potent but not like Humbrol at all

I loved those paints too, my first ever modelling paints because I could buy them at the newsagent down on Stratford Rd

Just downhill from where our esteemed Field Marshall General Tomoschenko lives these days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, perdu said:

Persoomably the Matt 6 in the square sided glass jar, the paints that smelled potent but not like Humbrol at all

I loved those paints too, my first ever modelling paints because I could buy them at the newsagent down on Stratford Rd

Just downhill from where our esteemed Field Marshall General Tomoschenko lives these days

That's the ones!

Missed that bit about the competition, extremely well done that man!

Martian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Those lashings look excellent.

Any idea how you're going to do the PIN OUT lettering?  I have the same problem at some stage, so any suggestions that I can ruthlessly plagiarise?

I'm going to try printing white letters with a red background in MS Word 2010 on the inkyjet

(Kinda worked for the 10 inch ROYAL NAVY  on a RAF BG background .... ish)

Wasp is a problem because two sizes of letter and I may not be able to get this iteratiion of Word to force the size down enough

:(

• Like 2

I need the last strap to be adjustable because of risk in knocking the wheels off their marks when getting the straps on in tension

I wish I'd thought of this before

P1120778.jpg

full length strap and ratchet end

Part retracted

P1120779.jpg

and tightly in on the ratchet

P1120780.jpg

when it is at the 'right tight' place I'll pull it out a bit and trim it off

Then wrap 'the excess' strapping round the ends after

• Like 10

OMG, now he has working tie downs! Is there no end to this man's magic?

Great stuff Bill, inspiring :) 

• Like 1

Bill, the tie down straps were unique to the Wasp. We had one as a hack on the Bulwark 66/67, painted green. The Wessex were tied down with chain lashings the Wasp with straps, that was because of the smal ships flights were they needed to strap the cabs donw quickly. Can't have a ship heaving and thrutching anound in a violent sea and a chopper not propperly lashed down...

Colin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Bill, the tie down straps were unique to the Wasp. We had one as a hack on the Bulwark 66/67, painted green. The Wessex were tied down with chain lashings the Wasp with straps, that was because of the smal ships flights were they needed to strap the cabs donw quickly. Can't have a ship heaving and thrutching anound in a violent sea and a chopper not propperly lashed down...

Colin

That's why our lot invented the Bear Trap.

• Like 4

I see stuff like that and fully appreciate why the RAF preferred their airfields to stay put  ;)

I have done as much as I'm going to, to the lashings so its  the end of the WIP for this one

One or two minor items to stick on before I RFI it though, mainly adding the hook to the hoist and two more, to be unused lashing points to the upper fuselage

Made not yet stuck on 

The Wasp has been secured to its beer mat sized base by two pairs of lashing straps unusually instead of using four separate ringbolts on the deck

I have photos of ship's flight Wasp using the two eyes instead of four and from the context of the photos it seems they were taken on a Navy Day somewhere

I surmise it may have been done to simply to reduce trip hazards for folks wandering the decks with Pimms's and Horses Necks

Lager and rum for the families of the lower deck types mayhap?

How would I know, Reeman never described family visits in his books...

Anyway, it suits the narrative for a Wasp-on-a-Beer-Mat doesn't it :)

So here's YOUR sneak peek at the Wasp before she gets RFId next week

P1120782.jpg

P1120783.jpg

P1120784.jpg

No Crisp, I haven't attempted the one inch lettering on the tail fold PIN OUT warning flag, might (will) be feasible in 48th scale, not here though Admiral, sorry

P1120785.jpg

So here we are, journey's end for the Wasp

I have enjoyed it and I hope you have

I know it needs some warts removing, and possibly some carbuncles adding but this was Wasp

Time for some Buccing about next

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Did I mention not liking yellow?

Can you tell why?  :(

P1120788.jpg

This piece of junk will not be finding its way into a RFI, I couldnt even persuade the yellow to stay on the window frames

:(

Sad end to a quite interesting build for a while

P1120789.jpg

Oh well, onwards and...

Magic work! Even in a larger scale, this work would be brilliant! This journey has been very educational and amazing to watch unfold.

• Like 1

Wonderful Waspie Bill, just wonderful. A very interesting and educational WiP and a superb result to boot - thanks for sharing :)

Yellow eh? Ugh. Shame about the Wessex but maybe she can go on the shelf of doom... worth trying some painted Filmoplast frames at some point? PM me if you want some and I'll post you a strip to try.

• Like 1

Cheers Ced, I'm thinking of painting some black Microscale sheet yellow and having another go at that after I get the Bucc fizzing a bit

I'll let you know if I need to take you up on this fine offer

Thank you

• Like 1

Congrats on finishing her Bill!....so much effort and care put into this build...and it shows!...looking forward to RFI to see her in all her glory.

.....please don't take this the wrong way but I wonder if you use a flash on your photos?....it just seems that the photos are all a bit "flashed out""!... have you tried taking the shots without a flash? I think you would get a better photo as the flash I think always washes out all the detail!.......maybe you don't use a flash and I should just shut up!:shutup:

...but it still doesn't take away the brilliance of this little gem!.....Fantastic model..I bet your proud of her:)

• Like 1

I have been taking these'in the build warts and all' shoots with flash quite deliberately Fozzy

Trust me mate the RFI will be daylight only "for sympathy" on the eye

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

O. My. Goodness.

Having now caught up with this jewel the final furlong, I can't believe it's all over! I loved @Tomoshenkos comment about getting to touch it - didn't I tell ye it would become a holy relic?:thumbsup:

It won't be an RFI for this, but a beatification.

Hail Bill!

:worthy:

• Like 2