Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:02, TheBaron said:

Shocked so I am. Reeling. Shocked AND rocked by these allegations.

Damn fake media and their fake news!

Looks like we touched a nerve there!

Martian

• Like 2

Seriously, seriously good Bill.

(nb I'm keeping other, more effusive superlatives in reserve for the final piccies & RFI - lest I peak too soon and end up repeating myself even more than usual :))

• Like 1

That is impressive beyond words I'm allowed to use here, I like it to bits. I was once keen to do something similar but simplified. I think I'd just feel inadequate seeing the level of detail thats gone into this, fripping orsum. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

My lords, laydees and gennulmen I regret to inform you, and indeed the huddled masses there're a couple of missing things.

I had the wind deflectors in the Airwaves kit, good idea thinks I, but 'they' advise using a clear film behind them

Durrrgh! Not going to work for me, I've even tried Krystal Kleer which was too thin to stay levelled and 560 glue which was too thick and blobby

I could visualise pink and yellow spots appearing when I turned my back...

So I am making two new side screens out of thin acetate

This helicopter may not get side screens

Don't tell anyone if you notice they're missing, oke?

The frames are ludicrously thin and will have to be careful masking work

I'm going in

It might not be me that emerges...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 4

Good luck, there's a search party at the ready if you're not heard from soon. They'll start at the bar....

Ian

• Like 2

I'll stay away a bit longer then, when they find me (yes at the bar) they can get a round in

Does anyone know (no photographs I have gleaned yet can advise me) whether the windscreen device is RAF BG on both faces or does the inner, crew facing side have a Lt Admiralty Grey interior

My experimental 'paint a piece of clear and thin' sheet seem to be bearing fruit, I just need to know whether to paint the inner faces RAF BG or not

Absolutely and utterly gorgeous 

I've been shillyshallyin' and searchin' the innnerweb for info on deck lashing helicopters hoping to find sight of the kind of strap and ratchet devices Wopsie would have been familiar with

Are these the kind of  things were looking for?

all_lashings_clear.jpg

I am familiar with this stuff, having used its like to tie cars down onto AA trucks and trailers

If this is it my search is done and tonight for sets will appear, as if by labouring into the gloom

And tomorrow the wipers, OAT and other doodahs will be on and she'll be tied to the deck

Edited by perdu
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

I've been shillyshallyin' and searchin' the innnerweb for info on deck lashing helicopters hoping to find sight of the kind of strap and ratchet devices Wopsie would have been familiar with

Bill,

These lads seem to be doing the business - is this what you're after?

34393513360_125e11f787_c.jpg

It's at about the 15-second mark on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J-gVFtoZ7I

HTH,

Tony

Cheers for that Crisp, it's good to see that if necessary even I could train up for that part of the complex deck handling duty

Out at club this arvo, took the Midget for its monthly happy run, half way round Brum on the Motorway network...

Nice

Came back this evening and after dinner climbed the stairs to the modelling mecca

As I sat down the sky began rumbling

"S'funny" I thinks, "the sun has only just gone down across a cloud free sky, why's it gone thundersome?"

Then I looked out of the window to espy this pottering noisily in a weird quiet rumbling...

P1120763.jpg

Familiar thinks ,I thank god there is not a war on, we saw these when they were repatriating to Birmingham Selly Oak Hospiddle

No the camera isnt instantly ready, I had to pick it out of its case and run through to the front to catch this on its way into BHX

Nice also

Anyway, club meeting

I expected to meet Tomo so I took the Wasp with me, glued down to the deck but not tied yet

For the craik I decided en route to bung it as is on the competition table, warts and all

It came first with lots of congratulations, I was a bit pleased at that

Not even tied down on deck, even

However when I got started tonight I did this on the port side as Plan A

Thin strip cut to length and handling buckles added

P1120766.jpg

No ratchet handles yet and no tied together excess either

I did manage to get the 'pin out' flag fitted (but not lettered... Yet) to the tail fold ratchet

On the starboard side I'm trying a slightly different tack

P1120769.jpg

Two piece straps joined at the ratchet  and with the excess nylon tape tied over the strap to keep it from lashing about in the breeze

I have trimmed back a bit from this now but I am considering taking this tack with all for straps

and nop decision time with strap four

Cut and tie like the other one on this side or fake it the way I am considering doing with the first set

Waddayasay?

P1120770.jpg

Still working side screens and wipers, be about it  then

I HOPE!

• Like 9

Congratulations Bill - I'm sure this won't be the last prize you get for this amazing little model. Excellent work :)

I think I prefer the tidy straps but that's just me being, er, tidy!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, perdu said:

...the 'pin out' flag fitted (but not lettered... Yet)

P1120769.jpg

Those lashings look excellent.

Any idea how you're going to do the PIN OUT lettering?  I have the same problem at some stage, so any suggestions that I can ruthlessly plagiarise?

• Like 1

Congratulations on 1st place Bill and well deserved it was too. Against some stiff competition as well so it had to hold its own.

Dear modellers I must inform you I have touched the Wasp! Bill entrusted me to place it on the competition table...made me feel like Prometheus having been given the gift of fire by Zeus...for an instant I felt like running off with it but didn't fancy having my liver pecked out by an eagle!

Needless to say I have not washed my hands since, hoping to have absorbed some of Bill's magic modelling powers...

• Like 4