Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

On 09/05/2017 at 0:44 PM, perdu said:

I don't want to snaffle one from your stash Keith, 

You know what Bill - I've only got one copy - that box with all the bits & supposedly two complete Scout kits only has one set in it ! But should you have needed it you'd be welcome to it as I'd be quite happy to scan it & send you the original.

Are you OK anyway to finish the kit without the destructions? If not give me a shout.

K

• Like 2

Thank you Keith, I was worried in case you thought I wanted it but as Martian has confirmed it will not be a problem in a modified class

I hope you will keep it and build me a nice one later

You sir are a gentleman

b

• Like 1

just catching up on this after a couple of days away. Brilliant work Bill.  It is impossible to tell this is 1/72 with the amount of detail you have packed, and are continuing to pack in

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:03 AM, Fozzy said:
17 PM, perdu said:

P1120698.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Notwithstanding the fact that it is enlarged 3+ at least. I calculate about 3.5/1 beer mat scale. I know cos I measured a beer mat against it on the telly screen...

• Like 2

Hmm, guys thanks for the flatulence...  Oh maybe I got that wrong

What is that word I was thinking of?

Oh well no doubt it'll occur later

;)

Thanks anyway

And for my next thick here's a conundrum

Can you see anything new?

P1120707.jpg

Yep the lamp standard is flat now, or will be even flatter with a wipe over from a four way sanding stick to level it

I have used a tad of stuporgoo to horizonta-dise the tail rotor

And raise the pylon to the proper parked position

In this position I was also able to confirm the floats are at the right height, there needs to be clearance when the doors are opened

The floats are often seen on  fully 'doored up' Wasps too so the doors have to be openable

and for the rarely seen port side, ditto

P1120708.jpg

Jobs to do list is down to seventeen items I can remember, including posting her to her postage stamp base

I'm orf now to get on with it

night guys

• Like 13

Nice! Seventeen items to go plus the extras on top of that that we find for you to attend to! :evil_laugh:

Martian

• Like 1

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Can you see anything new?

you're using a different backdrop for the photo's ?

I'll be sorry to see this one finished.  Thankfully, my regret will be assuaged by the prompt introductiveness of a new perdu build..... which is.... ?

• Like 3

Buccered if I can remember just now Hendie

😀 

One of the seventeen jobs done now, pictures later

Of the rotor blade pins

I made five of the eight and left them on the workbench by the pooter's keyboard

One left this evening after the guvner has been on the pooter.  😕

My fault, I forgot to advise her to miss that little area

Albion alloys nickel silver thin tube pin, next size up cap piece, as I said there'll be a picture or two later on

0.100" long with a skinny cap piece

• Like 3

I did say I would, so I am

Showing you what I did earlier

A familiar by now I suspect, field of red plasticene

with passengers

P1120709.jpg

There and a spare  ;)

As you MAY recall I do like to get a bit jiggy and this task is another jig-gable one

The jig is very simple for this job, double thickness of 0.060" glued together (gives less than 0.120" bytheway, 0.115" after glueing together) and a tiny teeny teency wincy hole drilled through near the edge

P1120710.jpg

Take the thinnest Albion tube and find the orifice

Slide to the bottom where the melamine starts

P1120711.jpg

Fixed depths ensue (ish, this is ME remember) so take a sharpish blade

Don't use the newest, freshest sharpest one you've got then blame me 

P1120713.jpg

In real life do not hold the face nor edge of the blade if/when cutting, this was only because I have no more than two hands to use when demonstrating the method

In fact hold the rod at the top to hold it down in the hole (why did that remind me of Baltimore?) to keep the length as you slide the edge across the tube, thus cutting a groove into it

Take it out of the hole giving it a little tug laterally first, et violet

P1120714.jpg

the required depth and the cut ready to be trimmed off and return to the hole for the next one

Here ready for the cap to be fitted, if the cap fits that is

P1120715.jpg

Take a length of the next size up tube and cut off a thin sliver (with the same blunt sharp blade) on the work top

Here's one that didn't get dispersed to the wide in the diaspora of the afternoon, awaiting being put into service

P1120716.jpg

When you look at these tubes as they slide into each other you'd think the gap was somehow smaller  (sorry Martian but I suspect there may be Cedification later but I was lost for other wordses)

But then you have to take up the slack with stuporgoo, seen here in its pool

I usually put a little dollop of glue of whichever type is needed into the little pot at the end of this old tray, this has CA now but is often found with a dipperful of PVA or Cockpit Glue so I can get no more than I need on  the tip of a cocktail stick.

P1120717.jpg

Dip the tip of the rotor pin (see, they have a real name now) ;) in and apply to the hole

P1120719.jpg

not a good photo but I am right handed and was trying to press the button with the third finger of my left hand

The proper hand was driving the pointy tweezers, the rotor pin is vaguely visible a millimotor in from the tip and 90° to it

Kind of grey line thingy, just there                                                                                      /\  ish

All of which endeavour gives us

P1120720.jpg

good innit...

Edited by perdu
  • Like 13

Note to self... Club on Sunday, finish the damned model

Got to paint the winch then fit it, make the aerials and fit them, hook up the type44 on the port station ( not sure if I need to mount the starboard weapons point if it's to stay empty)

Fit rotors after colour banding them

Screen wash and wipers, oh yes OAT probe

Nail to deck with four straps,only two tie downs though (space precludes...)

RBFs too

And I am hoping to get the auxiliary door screens ready, but...

Busy few days coming, I'll try to remember pictures but I've noticed the last hectic days of a build can cause pictographic fatigue

I'll try!

🚁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'll try!

Don't try Bill.   Succeed.

Tis vicariously very exciting seeing all the finishing touches on this little gem.

Need blow by blows of the last several steps......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

...not sure if I need to mount the starboard weapons point if it's to stay empty

Completely up to you; the flight would fit & remove weapons carriers all the time for all sorts of reasons (not a big job), so your sublime wee Wasp would be equally realistic either way.  It really is a thing of beauty (the model, that is; only a Waspie could love the aircraft purely for its looks!)

• Like 2

P1120707.jpg

For a brief moment or two I would like to be really really tiny in order to sit inside there, just to see what it felt like.

Glorious work, just glorious.

Tony

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

For a brief moment or two I would like to be really really tiny in order to sit inside there, just to see what it felt like.

Glorious work, just glorious.

Tony

Well if you PM Bill your schematics I'm sure he can knock up a 1/72 scale version of your good self to fit on the beer mat. Or of course you may be able to source a Fantastic Voyage shrinking machine on evilbay, and make a personal appearance....

• Like 4

hard seats Tony

'tain't really sheepskin tha kens

OK a brief round up

rotor head colour banded and just before that I ran a test of the pins in a couple of holes

P1120723.jpg

Looks OK to me, there are not going to be any lower retaining clips pins or springythingys

Plenty of stupor goo for when its 'lock down' time after all

I hate this macro stuff but never mind eh?

Tail warning beacon on

method:  melt the end of one red plastic cocktail stick (hint and tip 73a the cockerel onna stick ones have too much wasted plastic in the cockerel bit, stick with plain, double pointed ones) and drop it into a predrilled hole in the Formica worktop

slice off --- glue on...

P1120724.jpg

you cannot see it clearly here, but trust me there is also a Little Cars 1.5mm lamp at the very bottom of its nav light mounting

P1120725.jpg

braking cables are on now and attached to the uprights as well as the fuselage

They have an odd to automotive eyes, sideways mounting at the uprights

I have now cut them off at the ends, they may get a tad more black paint to finish them I will have a better look in daylight tomorrow

P1120726.jpg

The filler cap has been painted red, because 430 has a red filler

Horrid view, reminds me of all my co***ps  :(

P1120727.jpg

tidying up round the tail warning markings, not a pretty sight

in other news I have been working on anti-sub measures

viz, a pair of type 44s

one is for Waspie, the other may grace the side of my HAS3 Wessex later on

P1120730.jpg

When Crisp posted the pictures of the type 44 at the museum it  shows a pair of circumferential lines, one black one at what is presumably the C of G and a yellow one round the green nose cap which must be ditto for the warhead purrups

I dont think I will bother attempting them in 72th scale, what does the team think?

I got the hoist painted up but lost the steady brace in a quite exciting pinging moment so I had to make up a paint to suffice

Vallejo Blue and Vallejo Nato Green, close enough for artificial lighting

P1120731.jpg

I am quite pleased with the hoist

It is difficult to make out on photographs of Wasp

Ditto here so I must have it right

Just about visible here I'd say, the hook and weight not yet fitted

P1120733.jpg

I'll take that 'un as OK

After I finished picturising I also made  (same method as tail warning beacon) the red and green nav lamps for the door-side plinths

I'll do a pic or two tomorrow

Armaments day tomorrow and aerials too, then MRBs to be added to the rotor gear and the tie downs attached

ciao y'all

• Like 7

The Baron only wants to be reduced to 1/72 scale so he can have his wicked way with Maureen in his Barracuda build. This build looks ever better Bill

Martian

• Like 2