Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

22 minutes ago, perdu said:

My god it's appalling in close up, "dont look Ethel!"

"But it was too late..." Great bit of strutting Bill, looks good to me. Nice floats and deck. Smart.

(Note: You missed the opportunity for the 'dead one of these' joke)

• Like 1

Not missed

Discarded

I'm not strong enough, and I'm not worthy neither

I leave the really good openings to friends mate   ;)

Glad you like it folks, we're getting nearer to Blackburn's finest...

• Like 1

What Hendie said! I expect to this in the competition at Telford this year, especially as I will be coming all the way from Mars to see it!

Martian

• Like 1

That last photo you posted Bill is fantastic!....looking at it takes me back in the day when I was a observer in the green type Westland!....when I was only 1 cm tall!...now I'm getting silly!........looks absolutely fantastic mate!;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

This was intended to show the Wasp on approach to the deck for a landing, darned if I know who is supposed to be driving  :)

When things get to that stage it's usually Jesus...

Supreme , prime, magnificat...I'm scundered for an original turn of phrase at this stage. I tell you if that goes into Telford I shall have  to go on pilgrimage in order to come and kiss the holy relic! (To be clear, I mean the helicopter, not you...):lol:

Tony

• Like 3

landing circles on Type 22s?

Umm apart from visiting....im pretty sure Wasps were....in later years only leanders and type21 flights...so why do you need type 22 flight deck dimensions.

Apologies if there is a reason for this....i may have misread this.

There are one or two ex 829 wasp ratings about still so if you have any questions please shout.

Ps looks fab ...love the nimbus

• Like 1

Thanks Junglierating, I was looking for the deck dimensions for if I display it on a larger base

Not going to be an issue now because it will have to sit on the beermat base, as above

Mind you I'm unhappy with the lines I've already done so there's to be a slightly slimmer line version a coming

Any input from ex-Waspies would be welcome any time

Edited by perdu

Just caught up (again!) after a short hiatus, she is looking splendid, I especially like the 'approach' shot on the previous page. Absolutely wonderful micro engineering, BZ all round!

Bob

PS did I mention she looks splendid?

• Like 1

Research

I've been puroozing the airbrushy section about my difficulties with yellow and I intend having a bash with a bigger needle/nozzle than my usual 1.5mm set

That might do the trick, we'll see

I had most of the day off yesterday., it was junior's 50th so we went to the wilds of Breaston to wine(beer) and dine him

Best not tackle models after an indulgent session I find

Today, its to be "on with the mottley!"

Laters guys

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3

I spent a minute or two (it is oh so easy to exaggerate when no-one can see you innit?)  redoing a floor for the template, the lines on the mark one and a half were too thick to my ever-seeing thingy, eye

So I cut a new sheet of 800 grit w&d and remarked it all out with the holes for deck fastenings drilled out

I know there was a big yellow hooky thingy (dead technical, me) that hung from below and located against one of the deck ringbolts doohdahs but I cant find any decent pictures so I'm going to give it a miss

Who'll know huh, except us and I am sure nobody here will be dobbing me in to the modelpolice over it

Will you  :(

I will be following my usual 'bunging it on the comp table at Telford so you will all be able to find it' in Helicopters 1:71 and smaller (bigger?)

I know my downsides and do not expect to beat that Hind with every skin panel removed in a desert airfield scenario we so often get there but it's the easiest way I know to let you look at it if you wish

(It'll be that small thing over the back behind the largish Chinook, 'cos wherever I place it somebody always gets his model bunged in front)

And back to here and now  I am going to have to stretch reality a tad to display Wopsie on her beermat-alike by having the tie downs from each leg on a side going to a single ringbolt  in a central position so I have drilled the floor to accept three ringbolts in a line

If I find more data I could add a few more if it makes you nauticals feel happier

For now I have fitted a ringbolt (ish) to the centreline under the floor of the helicopter and left it flat and unused

This is the small circle inside the big white circle

Slice of John Aero's lovely tube for that, painted gunmetal

P1120665.jpg

The other two are in line across the square, here's another of the inset ringbolt that will not be used, the other holes will stay empty until I fit the 'in use' ringbolts with straps on them

P1120667.jpg

I might have finished the last of the flotation gear struts and I need to know now whether all Wasps in service working ASW would have the winch fitted...

If so I have more work to do there before I put away the  RAF BG paint

P1120668.jpg

Also tonight I added the black antiskid footgrip strips to the legs and cockpit sills, here seen with the white outline paint on waiting the black

The yellow anchor symbols will get better definition too, out with the iddlediddy paint brush Bill

P1120669.jpg

Here you can make out the outer tie down positions

I think I have to paint the airbottles on the flot gear white or off white, references aren't all consistent

How unusual

Edited by perdu
  • Like 11

Loving this build.  Someone release a kit so I can do one too.

As to painting yellow I have read that spraying over pink gives a better result so tested it out.

JK2e6C45LnAj6NJeeZRS799IxEo1K8es-Fzkgk6w

Pink was used on the middle two with the second sprayed with white before the pink.  They do look a bit brighter in my opinion.

• Like 5

It looks as if you are right philp, that is a lesson learnt. Thanks guys

You can add Humbrol's gloss yellow to the "Bill Hates It" list

It covered well I'll admit but it still has not dried on the surface, it doesn't mark (much) but its still tacky even now

Where's my pink?   💤

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

P1120669.jpg

This. This does it for me. From that shot alone I see the stern of the frigate, the wake boiling a leaden sea to milk, the vibration of the ship's engines underfoot, and that reek in the nostrils of burnt fuels and salt water.

Tony

• Like 2

Bloomin eck Bill are you gonna add scratch and sniff effects to the flight deck too? Might as well, everything else is on it. All those lovely little details, gonna have to start giving you a handicap. PS looking at your circles reminded me of a Peter Sedglely jobbie at the Brummagen Art Gallery:

Fine%20Art%2FPaintings%20and%20Sculpt%2F1974%20P6.jpg&w=700&h=700&hash=1237481287&hash=e6e6073092a3e8a752fd075aa11406e4

• Like 2

test

Took an evening Saturday to attempt to update the family crapnavi so no modelling pictures made it into the computer

Neither did any navi updates, legally paid for I add, make it into the computer or the Nuvi 

How can such a big company justify selling stuff that cannot be entered in the machine huh, their own software updater just goes to sleep at the apparent beginning of the download and never gets to the actual downloading...

It would be fair to say if I was invited to endorse them, I might demur

Anyway, it is a shame because I had done a few bits of Wasp updatery

for instance

The tail locking ratchet

That split Danger mark measures 5mm in real life, the split is almost invisible to the naked eye although it is going to be touched in when I get into the garage tomorrow, there's a bit more touch up work to do, including that navy decal needs touching in in BlueGrey

Ridiculous perhaps but what the eye cannot see the camera does

P1120673.jpg

I need to make and paint the 'tail unlocked' flag and pop it on the upper edge of the tail do remind me if it doesnt turn up soon please

The ratchet handle shows up quite well in the overhead shot I took to check for necessary touch ins/ups on the frames

P1120674.jpg

Quite pleased about that, pleased with this one too I can see the harness release box inside on the looker's seat straps though the repaired screen. Phew!

P1120675.jpg

I put the Wasp into its hangar resting on its bed

P1120677.jpg

and took a quick snap shot of my own mini Royal Naval museum, the entire work in progress cupboard is navally oriented these days

P1120678.jpg

I suppose it was inevitable

Blade trailing edge tabs being installed

Tamiya Green followed by  stiffening layers of stuporgoo holds the tabs to the trailing edges

Only one fell off before I was able to sand them down and shape them...

P1120679.jpg
Sorted now but forgot to take pictures of the proper job finished items, I'll do more pictures tomorrow after

a: sorting out the satnav again... if...

b: sorting out the RAF BG

c: getting steady pads on weapons station release units

d: sanding and repainting the blades

And touching up the overspray damaged vestibule/cabin floor on Walter in Light Ad Grey and maybe getting some stripes on the Sea Fury

Edited by perdu
  • Like 7

I'm so hypnotized by this little jewel now Bill that you could probably just post the same photo of it over and over and I would continue to look at each one afresh.

This however -

P1120678.jpg

- looks suspiciously to me like a teaser shot of the deck lift for the 1/72 aircraft carrier you are secretly constructing in your lair...:photo:

Tony

• Like 2