4 hours ago, perdu said:

Ah well maybe

But I'm still broadcasting

How about dem Hawks then?

oh     oh    oh       touché mon ami !

riposte s'il vous plait ?

:bye:

• Like 2

That grim news I was endeavouring to pass on paled in significance when I read PCs Gauntlet thread, his news was grim, mine wasn't

I was trying to overcome a reluctance of my home brew decals to conform to the surfaces I wanted them to

I decided to look at the problem laterally after Ink-thingy seems to have lost some of the tools I used to use

I have experimentally cut a lateral slice of the DAN markings (in this case a slice of GER instead) from one of the old decals I made off the Airfix ones complete with their orangey red

I cut along the lateral rib line (natch) and tried it out on the tail

P1120623.jpg

I got it to conform to my badly shaped tail ribs (OK not MINE, the ones on the model, I'll thank you not to comment on MY badly formed tail ribs) and it seemed worthy of a go using my last few complete home brew mk 2s

First clean the surface to allow clean application

P1120627.jpg

A couple of overzealous nibs of RAFBG sliced off here and there

And slice one applied ready for tidying then slice two bunged on under the spline

P1120629.jpg

and jiggled about ready for Clear-ing, not quite in line here but there is a cunning plan

Over there, no don't look!

Doh, I'll show you later

P1120630.jpg

The DANGER flash has to be cut to allow the extra length taken up by the hinge lock and hinge pins to be included so I  was running out of ready mades

P1120631.jpg

This is where the remnants outnumber the full ones which was why I experimented with the orangey ones first, you can see the orange here against the proper red ones. Only three uncut ones and lots of plastic (relatively) to cover

I was reluctant to print more of these just to have them languish in the transfers folder unused :(

Here's a timely size check and the two remaining uncut decalcomanies to go on the port side now the starboard is satisfactorily 'done'

P1120634.jpg

The size check is to prove I usually only have normal sized cocktail sticks available for sizing against  ;)

P1120636.jpg

Well that looks OKish

Acrylic (Vallejo) paint will be used to pick out the minor adjustments needed now, their scarlet is pretty close to the colour I colour adjusted for the DANGERs

P1120638.jpgThis is close enough in this scale I reckon, without adding even more of the blue it really needs

As we say playing cards, STICK!

As I now have the tail fully decalled my bogey-job came along next

The hinged round tail rotor pylon

I have been bricking this bit but the day has dawned

Jeeves oiled into the build-suite with the UV Glue stick firmly grasped in his white gloved hand

"This is the time to retry this resin sir, I am certain that with a little firm application you will be able to join the hinges to the tail end"

He placed a small dry sherry alongside, rather than my customary pint of rough Cidre de Normande

"I understand a small celebratory libation to be in order after satisfactory completion of this task. If you will excuse me I have to retire to enter this weekend's, hmm, improvements into the Gentleman's Gentleman Club Journal which you will remember it is a matter of honour for me to maintain"

Upon which he oiled out again

I could have used his steadying hand to gently grip the pylon whilst I gripped the model by the tail and readied the UV torch and applied a small blob to the upper hinge portion, but the task went well anyway

I held both items together manually and applied the UV light orally, gripping the bally thing in my teeth and pointing blue-ness whilst counting the seconds

The second, lower hinge application was less threatening praise be and resin hardening happened in a trice... or maybe two, I was reluctant to have it all let go after that

P1120643.jpg

P1120645.jpg

P1120646.jpg

NOW I can attend to the flotation gear and finally the rotor support frame, the Forth Road Bridge thingy

(and indeed the torpedoes)

Where did I leave that beermat?

ciao chapses

Edited by perdu
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, hendie said:

oh     oh    oh       touché mon ami !

riposte s'il vous plait ?

:bye:

D'accord, je reçois le message!  Je publierai une petite mise à jour.

Mais d'abord je dois le dire, travail fantastique Bill......:clap:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I held both items together manually and applied the UV light orally, gripping the bally thing in my teeth and pointing blue-ness whilst counting the seconds

I've run out of fingers counting fnaars in this post so I've just selected one example sentence that, on its own, scores at least four. Ye gads Bill, you're really showing your class (yip yip) :D 

Great work on the transfers and I'm pleased the UV glue is working for you now - it's great for stuff like this where you want a bit of wiggle and then a quick bond eh?

• Like 3

a post of epic proportions Bill.  Epic in their smallness, and epic in the quality of workmanship (as always)

and thank goodness for t'intergoogle otherwise I'd never have understood what Monsieur Fritag had riposted with (or what I had even written in the first place - I only took the obligatory 2 years at failing French in high school before switching over to failing at Latin instead)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hendie said:

and thank goodness for t'intergoogle otherwise I'd never have understood what Monsieur Fritag had riposted with (or what I had even written in the first place -

I dunno what I said - it's all google to me......

• Like 3

That sounds like my schooling at St Phil's to a tee H

I was so bad I didn't even fail  :(

We parted company under equally unsatisfactory terms before I had to...

(In later years, especially recently, I wish I'd gone in that day more often. Far too easy if you have the application to fail at youth as well as in later years)

As we are talking 'small' I did find my 'beer mat' template just to have a giggle

en piste

P1120647.jpg

Note beer can for scale, I couldn't find the beer mat

Looks oversized at the hinged section

oooooh dear

P1120649.jpg

hmm, perspective's a lady dog isn't it

Looks better further away

It has to fit all round on the template

P1120650.jpg

Okayyy seems -ish

P1120651.jpg

Free and gratuitous advertising for British Red Cross Christmas appeal, I think that is OK in the scheme of things

P1120652.jpg

As we can see, "The Troupe de Mlle EGLANTINE" completes three sides within the box but I won't show the front wall

You wouldn't be able to see the jollychopter

but it all fits nicely

Phew

Edited by perdu
  • Like 12

Hi Bill...I have been away on my travels and now its time to catch up on your little gem!

WOW!:o....what a little masterpiece!....you must be proud for sure!:)

• Like 1

Ah well m'lud, I draws yer attention to a previous post Roger

P1120620.jpg

This assembly is going to hold the blades in check so I do hope the answer is "OF COURSE"

In reality, I simply hope so

This forenoon I took Waspie and the HAS3  Wessex into the garage for fun and games because the good lady wife has 'gone to town' to meet a buddy

Ladies who lunch huh?

I have re-redded the rotor frame with the Vallejo Scarlet.

It is a little bit less red/orangey than the Humbrol Matt Red which seems a bit more orangey, I might still knock the shade back a bit with Tamiya Smoke, we'll have to see later

I also took the opportunity to touch up some of the RAFBG with a brush, we're far too deep in now for me to risk airbrushed updates like Steve and you others can do, so it is wot it is

Brushing time

I also took the opportunity to spray another layer of stupid yellow over the Wessex's upperworks

I think yellow is the best colour in the world to airbrush, always such a satisfactory coverage and smoothness guaranteed

OOOOOPS

I told a wopsie, a veritable whopper, stupid exaggeration or just a plain lie

I detest Yellow and promise here before the jury of my peers that this Wessex, if it ever gets finished without being Humphreyed, will be the last predominantly Yellow airframe I'll ever tackle

I'm old, it is a pretty safe bet ;)

Anyway, I've tried Sovereign's Yellow enamel

I've tried Vallejo's Yellow acrylics

Back a while I tried Xtracolor enamels

I hate 'em all with a vicious vengeance

So I had to try something else

Do I nip out and buy a Tamiya rattle can, or something like from Halford's range?

No I have a pot of Humbrol Acrylics Yellow, a bottle of Daler-Rowney Flow Improver and my cheapo twelve quid Chinese airbrush

About maybe, twenty percent Flow Improver in the mixer with the yellow paint, no thinners

Stir three or four minutes with one of the true scale ® cocktail sticks and go

It is still too untouchable for moving upstairs into the modelling suite but coverage looks good, which surprised me because Hendie has said he's had no luck at all with Humbrol's acrylics

So that out of the way I also sprayed the upper surface of the Wessex rotor blades NATO Dark Green 'Primer'? from Vallejo

Looks quite nice

So such tasks out of the way leaves me clear to start building the jury frame and flotation gear on Waspie when the enamel becomes handleable

I have torpedoes to paint too, does silver tails and dark (NATO) green bodies with yellow stripes sound about right?

And why would an antisubmarine helicopter carry a dumb depth charge and a homing torpedo on the same sortie?

Furthermore does anyone know the diameter of the deck landing circles on Type 22s?

I'm guessing fifteen feet, it doesnt seem much bigger than twice the wheelbase in some pictures I've seen

Edited by perdu
  • Like 7

Looking nice and tasty Bill. Close call on the beer mate, just about squeeze the bits in mind. Don't forget any overhanging limbs are guillotined... On the subject of French tinternet-googly-babel fish translations, I did make an attempt. Mind you for a quality check I back translated it into England just to check it broke no mod rules. Worked out fine: "Bill the balloon on the roof proper grand rabbit yellow lorry in the grey bag Humbrol plop. Fly infestation good looks with grey flash and..." Erm no, scratch that then, in Brummie England: Superb work of art Bill. Grey looks great, and transfers, well take your own advice and quit while ahead. As for the yellow, what about Humbrol enamel thinned 50:50? If the paint is not to thick to begin with I find it covers quite well.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

It is still too untouchable for moving upstairs into the modelling suite but coverage looks good, which surprised me because Hendie has said he's had no luck at all with Humbrol's acrylics

admittedly, very limited experience, but enough to make me steer clear for all eternity unless I have absolutely no other option.  I'll stick with Model Master, Testors, and Mr Wassisname's range.... oh, and Ace hardware stores own brand enamels coming to a train near you in the (hopefully) very near future

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

"Bill the balloon on the roof proper grand rabbit yellow lorry in the grey bag Humbrol plop. Fly infestation good looks with grey flash and..."

somehow that does not look out of place in a Perdu thread.

• Like 5

Out of interest, what's your technique to spraying?

Or rather, I can make a short video proving good, smooth yellow coverage over any base colour(s) of your nomination is possible and if you follow the same technique you'll get satisfactory results first time :)

• Like 1

More like an expression of how little I like to spend on a model Tony

When my Naval exploits end I may be considering the need for 'bigger' since Wopsie is trying my eyesight and nerve endings. :(

Fun though huh?

• Like 3

Framework this afternoon, slightly scary couple of hours to come

Then blade tips to fix.....

Yellow!

👻😱😠😥😨.         🚁

It's sure to be OK though, innit?

• Like 2

Well I chickened out at first, made the flight deck surface from 800 grade wet'n'dry

It just seemed prudent to shy away from the real issues, story of my....

So then I got real and began adding struts

P1120657.jpg

My god it's appalling in close up, "dont look Ethel!"

Anyway, time for flot action

First side propped up and glued

P1120658.jpg

Well it's a start

P1120659.jpg

Super strong and pliable Cockpit Glue to spot these together

Stuporgoo later to skin and rigidify the joints

This was intended to show the Wasp on approach to the deck for a landing, darned if I know who is supposed to be driving  :)

P1120660.jpg

Didn't get it right did I? Oh well...

Anyroadup, here is the deck I made on the standard square

P1120662.jpg

And from t'other side round up

P1120663.jpg

There are more struts on the jury frame and the rear deck, I think I want the glue well set before I get closer in so tomorrow for them OK

I need to make the OAT gauge and probe, the various suites of antennae

Fit deck tie downs into the three holes on the deck and arrange for the heli to become strapped down

And then add the rotors and frame

I have had difficulty working out where the big yellow anchor fits  underneath that ties the Wasp to the circle

I may elect to leave it off

Still finding lots of contradictory colour schemes for the Type44s, think I'm going for the silver tailed green bodied torpedoes I mentioned the other night  :(

I see the seat harness retraction motor has not been replaced on the pilot's seat back

OK its on the list too ;)

• Like 11