Navy-ation - Wasp The last post

perdu

Bill - a good abrasive plastic polish should do the trick. Even brasso might be worth a try.

It wasn't until I saw this photo that I realized the scale of the frame !   and your rotor blade.... I thought was a sliver you'd just taken off something with the scalpel

39 minutes ago, perdu said:

P1120612.jpg

:blink:

• Like 1

More great tiny modelling Bill - that support frame thingy looks really good and I can't wait to see what it looks like fitted :) 

Bill, as well as the micromesh cloths I have a set of the foam micromesh pads.

I've found that slicing strips of a pad - anywhere from a few mm to 5mm or so wide - and then supergluing a small length of strip (say 3mm x 5mm) to a cocktail stick, makes a very controllable polishing pad.  Great for small areas etc.

• Like 5

After an excellent breakfast I advised Jeeves that I would be glueing and painting the rotor support frame components

"Ah sir" he oozed "you will be needing the Ultra Violet Setting adhesive for that simple task sir"

Of course the fellow was exactly right, keen as I always am on a dampish Sunday morning to avoid stirring the stumps and getting the motor out of the mews

We considered a task whereby UV light could reach into the glue blob would allow the new addition to the repertoire to 'shine' as it would when glueing a support arm to the main frame would be bang on

"Bang on then Jeeves, let's be having at it"

So as we had to apply the two rear support braces to the upperworks I tackled that first by bending the inner end pieces to the rear braces I'd made from Mr Albion's tubing

And when they were rather flimsily stuck to it I mixed a light spray of  Humbrol Enamel Matt Red and visited it upon the frame

P1120613.jpg

"Chalk one up for the Drones Club Jeeves" I cried, that looks rather spiffing I'll say

P1120614.jpg

I admit I'm not over certain about this glue, today will be a suitable test I think

I'm a tad upset about the Wessex I took down for a layer of RAF BG before attempting getting that horrid yellow right

P1120616.jpg

Lots to do to that soon, including the Webley Hawk treatment if I don't get that yellow better than this

Having the RAF BG in the airbrush was handy though

There was stuff to do

P1120615.jpg

At this juncture it behooved me to give the frame a test run I surmised

P1120617.jpg

One of the UV glued joints gave way  :(

P1120618.jpg

Godamighty that looks too big

Goshagolly that looks too small

Oh dear it just looks ungainly

Still a slight touch with Cockpit glue stuck the rear starboard frame back on pro-tem

On the basis of a line from my favourite fillum

We'll always have Paris

Or in this case a picture

Because of the impossibly awkward task of  making it  all up now then breaking it down again to fix the front screen here's a single shot tryout of the rotor frame in service, three blades not rigged yet, but this is it for now

P1120619.jpg

Rerigged a bit better

P1120620.jpg

Oi oi, that's yer lot

Edited by perdu
  • Like 14

Lovely stuff Bill - it looks great to me :) 

I've used BluFix UV glue - the 'original' German stuff - a few times now but only on canopies and I've never been brave enough to tug at the result to test the strength. Mine does change transparency slightly when the light cures it but it is hard to see. Fingers crossed it holds.

• Like 1

Your Wodehouse is pitch-perfect old plum. I now know who to ask over to speak at the end-of-term prize-giving.

That rosy Forth bridge thingy looks like one of those damnable folding picnic table affairs from Argos; your craftspersonship has truly invested it with dignity at this scale.

We'll always have Paris

Hitler? 

Nice work as always Rick err...Bill.

• Like 1

Bill the abstract geodesics look great and to scale. Maybe if you make enough of em you could have your own display at Tate Modern in the Turbine Hall (though it will probably take several lifetimes at this scale!). Seriously though it's like any DIY, building job, repair, Pulitzer Prize essay etc. we do; when we come back to it we always find fault and look for improvement, but that is one of the reasons we enjoy this lark. Last two pictures look superb, especially the last one with the rotor in place. Gonna look great on a Carling Black Label beer mat!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Oi oi, that's yer lot

and highly entertaining it was too !

that rotor head looks good enough to spin.  That crazed red spider mounting your little Wasp from behind looks rather intimidating.  It's almost as if Dali had brain flatulence and went cubist for a brief moment

• Like 2

On 16/04/2017 at 10:51 PM, perdu said:

glueing and painting the rotor support frame components

I'm sure I've seen one of those in Tate Modern1............Whatever.  It's a little work of art - just like the rest of Wopsie.

Made me think of Fiona Banner's polished Jag displayed upside down in the Tate c. 2010 (along wth one of them up, down, left, right Harrier things). 

Did I not like those 'artworks'. I never saw the merit of getting an army of dozy elves to whip off the Poly-u and add shine

And then make like an artist

Posey twit. :(

The red is as like the real things colour as I can get but it looks too 'in yer face' so I intend damping the brightness down a tadlet, a thin layer of Tam's Smoke might do the trick

On the test fitting I think the frame looks about right but if I have to when the tail is fitted to the hinge I might whip off half a mm from the uprights

It can't be far off because the tail rotor does sit at a good flat horizontal, as per the real thing

That was the essential bit of calculating coming good

Oh yes windows, the ones on the front

I took several versions of polishing devices, fabric Micromesh, plasticated sanding sheets ( from Mr Models in Brum) and the ubiquitous sanding sticks I always buy three or four at a time when I'm at a model show and got them looking fairly flat

Gave them a single flood coat with Humbrol Clear and now feel a lot happier

I'll picture that when I'm finished with paint touch-in and the transfers for the nose and the tail serials

• Like 6

I've figured it out!

Martian must have lent him one of his shrink/enlarge ray guns. He makes it bigger, does some work in normal size, then shrinks it down to model size again!

It all makes sense now!

Or he's just very very good at modelling....

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I've figured it out!

Martian must have lent him one of his shrink/enlarge ray guns. He makes it bigger, does some work in normal size, then shrinks it down to model size again!

It all makes sense now!

Bugger! Found out yet again.

Martian

Moi?

Ah well maybe

But I'm still broadcasting

How about dem Hawks then?

;)

I am referring to the DANGER markings on the tail

They need to sit along the centre strake down the tail cone but I am having to rethink the concept

I might have to run the imagery in Inkscape to alloiw a vertical stretch to cover the 'fold over' part of the central lettering

The 'bar' of the E and G need to be on the ridge and the home brews don't want to stretch enough even under a cocktail of 'Sol and Decalfix.

Happy days...    😬

• Like 1