Mark Fit

vossy

Hi everyone, i have bought a bottle of Mark Fit decal solution. i have never used it before, (really haven't placed a decal since i was a kid), is there any advice, tricks, or tips i should adhere to?

cheers

chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Mark Fit is just a decal softener. It essentially softens a decal so that it will conform better to the surface, and with practice you'll be applying decals that look painted on. 

Prep the surface by ensuring it is clean and smooth. No dust, and if possible apply a clear gloss coating to ensure the surface is as smooth as possible. Search this forum for Kleer, Future, or similar gloss coats. I let my gloss coat cure (dry) for at least 24 hours, sometimes as much as 72 hours. 

Apply the decal the usual way: dip it in warm water, let it sit on a paper towel for a minute or so until it lifts from the backing sheet. Then put a small drop of water on the model where the decal will go. Use tweezers to hold the decal close to the location for the decal, the slide the decal onto the model (I use a small soft brush just for this) and position the decal. I use the brush to wick excess water away, and continue to position the decal in case it moves (usually does). 

I then let the decal dry a bit, 15-20 minutes, and see how the decal is conforming to the surface. If it needs a softener to help it, I use a different brush to put a very small amount on the decal, and ensuring it is wetted completely (but not drenched or floated as the softener could damage it or the finish if too strong). Sort of like "paint it on thinly". 

The next bit is VERY important: Don't touch the decal. It may wrinkle up and look destroyed, but ignore it for 24 hours. Keep the surface horizontal (gravity is your friend).  It should flatten out and conform to the surface. Some decals are tough and a weak softener won't do anything, so get a stronger one; other decals are weak and will disintegrate if any softener even comes close, so don't use any. Test a spare decal from the sheet on spare plastic to determine how the decalling session will likely go. 

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Tim

• Like 1

Yep, Tim about nailed it.

One little tip you may or may not want to try:  I use a tablespoon of water and add a few drops of Future.  I brush a THIN coat onto the model and slide the decal into place.  The Future gives you time to reposition the decal.  This is good on especially thin/fragile decals.  Blot off excess than do as Tim suggests.