Folland Gnat T.1 Red Arrows 1:48

Hi!

Here is my first model after about 20 years of inactivity in this hobby. 

I started this build many months ago, had many breaks, bought new tools and had to learn many new things. 

While I am definitely not making a perfect model, I am quite happy with the result.

I used the following to build this Folland Gnat T.1:

• Airfix Red Arrows 50th Display Season Gift Set 1:48
  • Eduard Detail Set
  • Vallejo Paints

I hope you like it and love to get some feedback to improve my next build!

Kees-Jan

DSC_4373.jpg

DSC_4375.jpg

DSC_4376.jpg

DSC_4378.jpg

DSC_4381.jpg

DSC_4382.jpg

DSC_4383.jpg

DSC_4384.jpg

DSC_4385.jpg

• Like 26

Thanks for all your comments!

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

maybe you could paint the interior of the canopy if it is posed that wide open, especially the edges/sill would probably benefit!

Yes, that is definitely something I will try to improve for my next model!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scooby said:

I can't see them, every other group of images in other threads but not this thread.

1 hour ago, Head in the clouds. said:

I have gone blind too, cannot see anything painted scarlet red.

The images are hosted on my own server. Not sure why you cannot see them.

Please try this link to one of the images: https://koster.cx/files/scale_models/folland_gnat_f1/DSC_4373.jpg

Here are the images on Google Photo: https://goo.gl/photos/3mDTtNdUYWSy6eoa7

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Kees-Jan

I studied the photos for ages looking for something to improve on, as you requested. It wasn't easy. I picked up the canopy interior, as already noted. Also there's a couple of fuselage seams visible forward of the windscreen and forward of the tail bumper. Other than that, perfect.

I like the painting, especially the sheen which looks just right to me. It's a scaled down shine which so many modellers neglect to do often resulting in a 'toffee apple aeroplane'.

Where's the weathering? Of course, it's a Red Arrow. Weathering would be totally inappropriate on this one. Thank goodness you didn't use the tar black panel line shading which is so much fun to apply but often so unrealistic. 

I have to mention the thin decals which look pink where they should be white, but that's hardly your fault. They may be translucent but they are tidily applied with no silvering that I can detect.

You are back in the hobby with a flourish. That's very nice work indeed!

• Like 1

Well if that's your first in 20 years then I look forward to seeing your future builds.  :thumbsup:

Something quick and easy that'll improve the look of the canopy (mentioned previously) is to mask up the outside framing and give it a coat of black (or grey) before putting the top colour on, even if it's going to be closed.  That way the black will show on the inside, and in this case red on the outside.

Nice work :)

Cheers

Gaz