Emoticons

Mike

The new Emoticon/Smiley system brings up a pop-up window when you click on the smiley button in your posting window.  This only shows a fraction of our frankly extravagant selection, the rest of which are available by clicking on the little Categories Dropdown, and choosing Emoticons, which at time of writing shows 204 of them.  They should populate the little box and you can choose at will.

Alternatively, if you have a good memory, you can enter them directly whilst typing by using their keyboard shortcuts, which automatically convert to smileys the moment you leave them be.  For example, the man stroking his chin is achieved by : hmmm: without the space after the first colon, so you get :hmmm:  Hovering over a smiley in the box will give you its keyboard shortcut.  Just remember the ones you use most, and you'll never have to move your hands from the keyboard to mouse and back again after hunting for a smiley.  It's the only way to travel ;)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Another little trick with the emoticons pane is to simply type the : into the search field in the pane and the entire 205 206 wee beasties will automagically appear :). But keyboard shortcuts rule! (Pity that the hover shortcuts don't appear on the :rant: iPad :*( :deadhorse::wall::badmood::crying:)

Apologies for the shortchut pratise :fool:

Cheers,

Alex :sheep:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - shortcuts do rule... and i'd forgotten about the text shortcuts on hover.  That's the problem with touch interface.  You're either touching, or you aren't... unless you're my tablet, which has a stylus that has "hover" when it is poised over the screen.  I've no idea how it works, but it does.  Pretty funky too ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Debs. Yes, it's changed. Click the 'Categories' down arrow and choose 'Emoticons' and you'll see them all. I think the 'default' is ones you've recently used?

Ooer Debs, weird. Maybe a browser problem or you need to clear your cache thingy? Not to be smug but here's what I get with Safari on my Mac:

30141275193_7c0b3d27ab.jpg

Click on the menu and then on 'Emoticons' (says 209 of them?):

30141275233_267b9ae881_z.jpg

then I can scroll through the lot:

30688590591_2fb7484032.jpg

I'm using Firefox on a Windows 7 platform and my browser definitely will not open a reasonable emoticons window whatever I do.

The upshot is that I have to use the up/down and left/right scroll bars on a very smalll window (which can not be enlarged)..

Basically it means I am not going to use emoticons because it now takes up too much time to find the one I might want.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ascoteer said:

I'm using Firefox on a Windows 7 platform and my browser definitely will not open a reasonable emoticons window whatever I do.

The upshot is that I have to use the up/down and left/right scroll bars on a very smalll window (which can not be enlarged)..

Basically it means I am not going to use emoticons because it now takes up too much time to find the one I might want.

I'm using the same, and I have no problem at all. :tease:

Ah, sorry Debs, I can see the scroll bars now. I can't resize the window either. Usually I type the emoticons name between colons and only search for rarely used ones. HTH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...