How do I post Pictures?

Mike

Posting pictures on the new forum version couldn't be easier, and you don't even need the old Image button that looked like a Polaroid of a tree any more.  It is so simple that you'll wonder why you even needed to ask ;)  Firstly though, if you're a long-time user of the forum you'll know that we don't allow images to be uploaded to the forum as attachments.  It's just not secure, and it would overload our server's storage capability and burn through our data quicker than you can imagine.  Once you need more storage and more data allowance, that increases costs.  A good enough reason not to do that on its own! :)

• If you don't yet have a photo host, have a look here first, then come back and read the rest.
  • Ok - assuming you already have your photos hosted online somewhere, you just copy the DIRECT link from wherever it is (Photobucket, Flickr, you name it), and you paste it into your posting window.
  • Press either enter, or space, and SPANG! The forum software will automatically convert it to a photo.
  • If for some reason you didn't want it as a photo, a little notification bar appears at the bottom of your posting window to give you the opportunity to undo the action.
  • Look smug.  You've learned how to post a photo.

Told you it was simple, didn't I? ;)

If you've got a lot of photos to post that are numbered sequentially or with slight changes to the filename, you can post those easily too.

• Paste your image as above, but before you press space or return, just edit the filename to the next in the sequence.
  • Rinse & repeat as necessary until you run out of pictures.

Pretty simple, eh? ^_^

If for some reason you have SPACES in your URL (why would you do that????), or it doesn't seem to be working with the automatic system, don't panic.  Down at the bottom right of your posting window, there is a button called Insert Other Media.  Click that and choose Insert Image from URL and enter your URL in the box that pops up.  Save that and you should have a pic when the screen finishes loading it.

"What's a URL" you might be wondering?  It stands for Universal Resource Locator, and is a short form of "web address".  You know - the thingy that begins with http:// and has lots of fun characters after it.  You'll find the URL for this page at the top of your browser in a long box that is called your Address Bar :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

If adding pictures from photobucket the forum software does not seem to like spaces in urls being pasted directly into the page.

If you use the "insert other media" button at the bottom right, then use "insert image from URL then the go in no problems.

Julien

Edited to add the more long-winded way of posting images that either don't work with the automatic system due to having spaces or no www. in them.  It's all at the bottom of the original post, if you're still having problems adding images ;)

Hi Mike I just pasted an Airliners.net link and the photo uploaded...AAAAAAAAAAAH! :doh:How did that happen? Worth finding out before one of us or all ends up in the BM  Archipelago. Cheers.

I managed to delete it so don't go looking ! :yikes:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Hi, I have tried to post some pictures from photo bucket and have tried the paste the URL bit into the box after clicking the  "insert other media" box but it just turns pink and nothing else happens.

Can you help please?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Could you use the Code button <> above to paste in the URL you're trying to use please, Bunny? :)

Mike.. what about my question before the Rabbit ? Pretty please!

Using Photobucket, I just left-click on the IMG option bar and it turns blue. I then right-click on the blue highlighted code and when the little option window opens, I left-click on " COPY ".

I then come back to the forum and go to the open " REPLY " box. After the last word/punctuation of my reply, I hit the ENTER button twice, to make room for the image I'm posting.

I then right-click to open the little option window and choose " PASTE ".

I then tap ENTER twice to either add another image, add more text or add my name. I then click on the " SUBMIT REPLY " button and Bob's yer uncle!

Sushi%2014.jpg

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2016 at 13:20, bzn20 said:

I just pasted an Airliners.net link and the photo uploaded...AAAAAAAAAAAH! :doh:How did that happen?

It's the auto-picture software taking effect.  You can Undo this by clicking on the little bar that pops up at the bottom of the posting window.  you should really be posting a link to the page on their site, rather than directly to the image though.  It's effectively pinching their bandwidth, as well as annoying their lawyers with copyright infringement. :shrug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Could you use the Code button <> above to paste in the URL you're trying to use please, Bunny? :)

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/WillGrigg/media/IMG_9610_zpsghswnrjb.jpg.html?o=5

Does that help Mike?

sorry to be a pain :blush:

Edited by Lapin
I don't know what I'm doing...

That does help.  It's the wrong code.  You need the DIRECT option, and if there is anything after the .jpg, you need to delete it, as it'll confuse the system :)

• Like 1

Cheers Mike, I'll give it ago.

Now sussed! 

Edited by Lapin

2 hours ago, Mike said:

It's the auto-picture software taking effect.  You can Undo this by clicking on the little bar that pops up at the bottom of the posting window.  you should really be posting a link to the page on their site, rather than directly to the image though.  It's effectively pinching their bandwidth, as well as annoying their lawyers with copyright infringement. :shrug:

Thanks...I thought, pretty sure, that I had the page link, I copied from the address bar. But it could easily been the "photo page" address I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

let's try

... hmm does not work on the server side. needs some tweeking

retry: worked

Edited by Pouln

Hi mike, Rob Lyttle here. Ref photos;

So I managed to get on photo bucket and uploaded a few pics to my gallery.

The next bit... whaaa...?

First, can this operation be done on an android phone, or is a laptop needed.

And what's A DIRECT link?

Sorry for being so dumb!😶

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

First, can this operation be done on an android phone, or is a laptop needed.

And what's A DIRECT link?

It can. :) I'm on an android tablet just now, but have just gone through the process on my phone as well and it's identical. When you click (or tap?) the photo you want, the word 'SHARE' appears in the bottom right corner. Hit that and you'll get a small menu - the one you want is 'Get links.' That'll give you a choice of links, one of which is 'Direct' - copy that one and paste it in here... Et voilà! 

061.jpg

• Like 1

Many thanks to all for advice and guidance for pasting pics.

I've abandoned photobucket, which seemed to be plagued by pop up & malware, and found flickr a lot more to my liking.

Might just be me, but if you got the same, you might want to try flickr instead.

IMG_201612348_112338

How slick am I?!?

Thanks again,helpers...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...