Useful Accessories for Swann Morton Knives

DaveCromie

I don't know if the esteemed members of this forum are already aware of these items but just in case you're not I thought I'd bring them to your attention.

The first is a single use device for safely removing blades from Number 3 and Number 4 handles which you can then dispose off with no risk to your fingers and no risk to any person who is handling your rubbish. If you are like me and go through a large number of blades costs could mount up quickly. Link to the Swann Morton website with more details here.

To get round the problem of using one tool per blade there is a product that allows you to remove blades without using your hands and it stores the removed blades inside its body. It can hold up to 100 blades which seems like a much better bet! Link to the relevant Swann Morton website page here.

Finally, some enterprising soul (not me!) has converted the single use blade removers into safety caps that can be used with both Number 3 and Number 4 handles with what seems to be pretty much any standard blade. These can be found on a well known online store with an aquatic name.

Please let me make it very clear that I have absolutely no relationship with Swann Morton or any supplier or distributor of their kit. I have included the links to the Swann Morton website to allow forum members to get a better idea of what the item is and how it works. I have not included a link to the vendor of the safety caps as I think that it might violate forum rules about advertising/vendors. If this is not the case I can provide a link once a Moderator has agreed to me doing so.

I hope this is of some use/interest to you all

Cheers

DC

PS I have tried three times to attach images to show these products using a technique that has worked many times before but doesn't seem to work today. There are images for the first two at the linked web pages but as the third is an auction site web page I'm not providing a link for reasons given above.

• Like 1

I've ordered a couple of the blade caddies, as I was getting short of #11s, so I tacked it onto my order. I did know about them, but last I looked, they were quite expensive compared to now. 5 for £5.75 delivered is not. :)

I use the single blade removers and have modified them so they are able to be used multiple times. You just snip off the four holding tabs that are used to lock the device up and use a Sharps Container to store your old blades. The Sharps container should be available from most chemists as they are used to store old hypodermic syringes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...