Overheating Compressor

Samick

Hi all,

I'm very new to airbrushing and have bought myself an AS 186 however it seems to overheat after about 30 mins of use so I'm wondering if this is common? It works fine in all other ways, turning off when the tank is full etc but gets noisier and for want of a more descriptive term 'a bit clanky' when it's been running for a while.

cheers for any help you can offer.

Hi, This model of the chinese compressor are known for getting hot, which is strange since the motor isn't on all the time.

The instructions or your supplier should have details of the the duty cycle of the device.

As they get hot they will get 'clunky'.

If it were me, I would plan to paint for 20 minutes, then give it 10-20 minutes to cool down, before using again.

Paul

Cheers for the reply!

If I'm leaving it idle for 10-20 mins would I need to do a full clean of the airbrush or would it be ok if left for that time?

Is this likely to be a problem with all compressors or if I were to splash out on a slightly higher spec one would I be able to paint for longer?

Have you got an external air filter on the intake pipe? Mine has one of these and if the compressor starts getting a tad warm shall we say then it's a sign the filter needs a clean. Mine just involves a short soak then blowing air back through it.

I've left paint in my airbrush for days without it going off, but I wouldn't advise it ;) Leaving it 10-20 minutes wouldn't harm it too much, but you could always clean the tip with a cotton bud to make sure that doesn't dry up. Make sure you put the lid on the paint cup too ;)

How about positioning a fan next to the compressor and letting that help with the cooling? it'll be a help in this warmer weather we're having this week anyway. :coolio:

If you lash out a bit more cash on a better compressor, it'll probably have a receiver (air tank), so won't be working all the time. They all have a maximum continuous working time though. Usually 15 minutes for the tankless ones from what I've seen.

Mine does the same, I was thinking about applying some computer heat sinks to help the cooling. I also noticed that this model has a solid end on the motor where as the tankless one I had previously had air holes maybe this could be replaced?

Thanks for all the replies folks! :) In the short term I'm going to try airbrushing in shorter batches rather than going quite so hell for leather! If it still gets hot I may start looking around for a slightly higher spec compressor.