fokker streak decals?

Killingholme

Only other one I know of was Microsculpt, not sure if they ever did release decal sheets in 1/72. Doesn't look they are in business anymore - searching for their website indicates their domain name is for sale. Other web stores that carry their product only have a single item or three, and they use to have a number of products, including 4 types of the German polygon camou (better known as lozenges), and simulated cloth weave.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Whilst the decals look good you can save some money by doing it yourself. I have Voss's F.1 in the "to finish" pile and did the streaking using enamel paint dry brushed with a 1/2 inch brush (this is Roden's 1/72 offering) which had seen better days. I'm very happy with the result and the effect looks very close to the finish on 103.

Y7duXXU.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Partly as a means of testing my new Village Photos account, I thought I'd come back to this thread. I was lucky enough to get a couple of sheets of Gunsight Graphics 1/72 Fokker streak decals, and tried them for the first time a few months ago on the Revell DrI. In this scale I think they work pretty well, they do need a bit of a olive green wash to tone down the harshness of the streaks, and mask the very slight pixelation apparent. I'd be very happy to use these again in this scale, and the layout of the sheet allows the streaking pattern characteristic of individual triplanes to be reproduced to some extent, which may not be possible with Aviattic's cookie cut version.

Other markings are a combination of the original kit and Pheon.

Jon

85e2e648-6666-45b1-b4c5-5c5fdba2515b.jpg

f2760195-1ff4-4624-a62a-eeb23cd792a3.jpg

0aa0a9da-8e27-4f5f-9945-cf3948a240de.jpg

• Like 1

Very impressive Ologist. Got to admit I'm with Smithy but purely on grounds of cost. Projects to date were the resurrection of an Airfix Dr1 and a kit bash Fokker DIII. I used HU159 with a lot of thinners and ended up with something like Smithy's. The Airfix DrI was red plastic and was the most difficult with the red showing through which took several coats to adequately cover which tended to spoil the overall wishy washy effect.  Lesson learnt was use a decent undercoat such as light grey or your choice of cdl. Did this for the DIII and was happy with the results.

Regards, Steve

On 01/12/2017 at 22:13, Smithy said:

Whilst the decals look good you can save some money by doing it yourself. I have Voss's F.1 in the "to finish" pile and did the streaking using enamel paint dry brushed with a 1/2 inch brush (this is Roden's 1/72 offering) which had seen better days. I'm very happy with the result and the effect looks very close to the finish on 103.

Y7duXXU.jpg

Some time back I built a Revell 1:28 scale Triplane (See Revell 1:28 Fokker Triplane - Almost depicts Wener Vpss F103/17) which was probably easier from the scale viewpoint compared with any version in 1:72 scale. Yours looks great and I suspect that any of the decal options for the Fokker Streak camo wouldn't reflect the pattern of either 102/17 or 103/17. As I understand it, these were finished with the olive streaking over the pale blue (similar I believed to the undersurface colour) while the production Dr1s were streaked over the unpainted but doped linen, hence the first two had an appearance which doesn't hide the blue sub colouring. All the  streak decals I've seen follow the brownish tinge of the production run machines. Someone may have developed decals reflecting 102-103 but I haven't come across it in any scale. I guess also, whatever individual a/c you're looking at, they were all hand-painted so it's unlikely that any 2 a/c had the identical pattern that complicates the decal route. Yours looks the biz! Well done.

Paul

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pauls9cb said:

As I understand it, these were finished with the olive streaking over the pale blue (similar I believed to the undersurface colour) while the production Dr1s were streaked over the unpainted but doped linen, hence the first two had an appearance which doesn't hide the blue sub colouring. All the  streak decals I've seen follow the brownish tinge of the production run machines. Someone may have developed decals reflecting 102-103 but I haven't come across it in any scale. I guess also, whatever individual a/c you're looking at, they were all hand-painted so it's unlikely that any 2 a/c had the identical pattern that complicates the decal route. Yours looks the biz! Well done.

Paul

From Aviattick's product description, their streak decals are on clear film, so the modeler's choice as to what colour he wishes as a base.   They also have an optional decal set that is not 'cookie pattern cutout' to the aircraft shapes, so one can change up the pattern placement .

s889257479264688213_p339_i4_w800.jpeg

I can see the merits of brush painting, cost saving and the pride one can show in their handiwork.  Just not sure it can be an accurate depiction, at least not in 1/72 scale, as here you are trying to replicate a brush stroke that is about 1mm in scale.

regards,

Jack

IMHO Jack's right about the effectiveness of the Aviattic decals with a clear background, although I haven't tried them. Having done the brushwork on the 1:28 scale model I made, I haven't done enough research on the availability of the streaked decals with/without background colour. I guess brush painting the streaks in 1/72 scale is something that's less practical for those of us with diminishing eye capacity and I admire Smithy's ability on that scale. I may look further into this for my WNW early DVII, where a number of them had some streaky patterns here and there.

Cheers

Paul

At 1/72nd scale brush marks are best as a tone rather than individual lines.  The thicker lines, yes, but the rest is a more a tonal shift.  It is a matter of dry brushing with just the right amount of pressure and a stiff enough set of bristles.  For example...

38701412055_dbb6662253_z_d.jpg

• Like 1

It is not that difficult to get a Fokker streak pattern using oils. I use Griffin Alkyd paints as they dry completely overnight. No waiting a week, like with some tube oil pants.

This is a spare Fokker E.V wing I had, 1:48, c 14cm/ 6" wide. The smaller brushes apply the individual colours, and the biggest brush, the flat 1/4 inch one is used the blend everything together.

streak1.jpg

After blending it all, add some more titanium white & burnt umber streaks, and go over it again with the flattie. It will then look like this;

streak2.jpg

Roden/Encore 1:32 Fokker F.1. (It works just as well on 1:48 & 1:72 models)

Fokker%20F1%203.jpg

HTH, cheers

John

• Like 7

I'd been pondering how to approach the streaks for anything larger than 1/72 - I don't think decals would be convincing in the larger scales.

Viking's method looks absolutely spot-on, and demonstrates both the regularity of streaks, but also the subtleties and nuances of the overall effect. I'm certainly keen to have a go a this technique.

I had missed the fact that Aviattic do non-cookie cut streaking decals, and these certainly look worthy successors to the Gunsight Graphics sheets (these are transparent, so the underlying natural or doped linen colour will be apparent). The tailoring of streak angle and density to different parts of the airframe will be very helpful - the GG sheet is printed as three 9.5" x 2.6" strips, and it is possible to find the part with the right pattern, but it can be wasteful.

Time to consider another Triplane or two I think.

Jon