CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

6 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Go Martin, nowt like jumping in at the deep end. Looking forward to seeing you break "plastic" as it were, on this kit.

Matt

Your wish is my command, As luck would have it Royal Fail arrived with the last bits I need for the build this mrning, thus avoiding screaming and throwing up sessions!

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I like a Starfighter so I'll pull up a chair too if that's OK.

John

Absolutely fine, the more people chipping in the better.

5 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Tuning in to watch with interest. ^_^

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the build.

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

Martin,

Looking at the pictures of the model, I'm puzzled - where are the propellers?;)

Looking forward to seeing how this one goes!

Silly man! Still, we always have room for plenty of silliness on my threads so your talents will be in demand!

Martin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Your wish is my command, As luck would have it Royal Fail arrived with the last bits I need for the build this mrning, thus avoiding screaming and throwing up sessions!

Absolutely fine, the more people chipping in the better.

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the build.

Silly man! Still, we always have room for plenty of silliness on my threads so your talents will be in demand!

Martin

More bits? Wotcha got? Pylon set? Wing tanks? Or.... something else? :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

More bits? Wotcha got? Pylon set? Wing tanks? Or.... something else? :)

I got an Eduard Brassin exhaust set, a Quickboost intake cover set and a CMK set of Lockheed c-2 ejection seats. Looking at the seats I am probably going to use them as patterns for some scratch built replacements as I feel I can do better. Fortunately the seats only cost £2.90 so no great loss there and I can always pass them on to someone else to use when the project is finished.

Martian

• Like 2

Id be interested to see how the exhaust compares to the plastic one - I didnt think the kit bum end was too bad to be honest. But hey, Im just a Learner Driver.

About time you got it started isnt it? ;)

Ive a couple in the stash, so will be watching closely.

Oh - the inlet covers too, Ive been meaning to get some so theyre of interest regards quality and fit etc too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Id be interested to see how the exhaust compares to the plastic one - I didnt think the kit bum end was too bad to be honest. But hey, Im just a Learner Driver.

About time you got it started isnt it? ;)

Ive a couple in the stash, so will be watching closely.

Oh - the inlet covers too, Ive been meaning to get some so theyre of interest regards quality and fit etc too.

I think the main benefit is going to be the burner rings which, being in brass, are more refined than the kit parts could ever be.

Yes, you are right it is about time to get this started and this will be happening later this evening. The reason for the delay is that I never start a build until I have everything I think I will need for it and the final bits did not arrive until this morning. Its illogical really but I feel I am tempting fate to start without everything I need, even more illogical for one who is otherwise totally unsuperstitious.

Martian

3 minutes ago, Patrick Martin said:

Just do not use the roundels that come with the kit - looks more like 'pot leafs' than the real thing.

Pat  

I have the Eduard boxing Canadian decals spare if required. Theyre a bit less "pointy" or "hempy" than the ones shown in the first post. Can get you a pic if youre concerned or interested.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Just do not use the roundels that come with the kit - looks more like 'pot leafs' than the real thing.

Pat  

Thanks Pat, I will be using Canuck Models decals. Being a Canadian company I shall be very disappointed should I find out they are wrong.

6 hours ago, RMP2 said:

I have the Eduard boxing Canadian decals spare if required. Theyre a bit less "pointy" or "hempy" than the ones shown in the first post. Can get you a pic if youre concerned or interested.

Thanks, it would be good to have a picture if only to reassure myself that the Canuck roundels are correct.

Martian

16 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Theres a not too great picture of them here - http://www.model-making.eu/products/Bundes-NATO-fighter-F-104G.html
Or I can get a decent photo for you later, bit early to go digging and making noise here before work.

Having checked the picture, it looks like the Canuck decals I have will be fine but thanks for the heads up anyway.

I actually began cutting plastic today. Nothing dramatic yet, I removed the moulded on detail from the kit main wheel wells and drilled out the holes on the rear bulkhead of the wells. I also glued the nose cone together and taped the fuselage halves together with the cockpit tubs in place. This revealed our first problem. Hasegawa do not provide a rear wall to either the front or rear cockpits so that will be the next thing to sort out. I will put some pictures up when we have something worth showing. It may be a few days as I have to take my Father to Wales for his annual break.

Martian

Hello Martin,

Not meaning to hijack your thread but the Revell F-104G arrived this morning.  Looks okay but probably has only 2/3rds the parts yours has.  I like the way the wings are attached to the fuselage which means I'll find it difficult to screw up the anhedral.  Decal sheet is pretty extensive also: three aircraft.  Can you recommend a good book on the '104?  Warbird Tech? 

Enjoy Wales.

Cheers,

Dennis (DMC)

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:08 PM, DMC said:

Hello Martin,

Not meaning to hijack your thread but the Revell F-104G arrived this morning.  Looks okay but probably has only 2/3rds the parts yours has.  I like the way the wings are attached to the fuselage which means I'll find it difficult to screw up the anhedral.  Decal sheet is pretty extensive also: three aircraft.  Can you recommend a good book on the '104?  Warbird Tech? 

Enjoy Wales.

Cheers,

Dennis (DMC)

Without question the Daco book (C) F-104 Uncovered is the go to book on the subject. I took it away with the to read and it was able to answer nearly every question I was able to throw at it and that is allowing for the fact that I am doing a Canadian machine. Thirty quid well spent in my opinion.

Martian

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Without question the Daco book (C) F-104 Uncovered is the go to book on the subject. I took it away with the to read and it was able to answer nearly every question I was able to throw at it and that is allowing for the fact that I am doing a Canadian machine. Thirty quid well spent in my opinion.

Martian

Cheers, Martian

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I wasn't aware of Daco Martin. Great tip, but My God! Their website makes your eyes bleed doesn't it? It looks as if it was designed as a dare....

Great description Tony, I went there t'other day looking for theirBoeing 737 transparencies, I found them - just before I lost the will to live!

I'm still getting seemingly random notifications from people I 'follow', but glad I got this one from you Tony, as I didn't know Martinwas building one of my favourite jets in one of its best colour schemes! 

I shall follow along if I my Martin...

Keith

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:34 PM, TheBaron said:

I wasn't aware of Daco Martin. Great tip, but My God! Their website makes your eyes bleed doesn't it? It looks as if it was designed as a dare....

Got mine from the Big H so I didn't have to grapple with the web site!

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, keefr22 said:

Great description Tony, I went there t'other day looking for theirBoeing 737 transparencies, I found them - just before I lost the will to live!

I'm still getting seemingly random notifications from people I 'follow', but glad I got this one from you Tony, as I didn't know Martinwas building one of my favourite jets in one of its best colour schemes! 

I shall follow along if I my Martin...

Keith

You are more than welcome to join in Keith.

As you can see I have returned from taking Dad to Wales and plan a good long session tomorrow, phone off the hook and all that to make sure I am not disturbed.

Martian

• Like 4

As intended, I got in a good session on this build yesterday. Some more time was spent removing detail from the main undercarriage bays and polishing the plastic. I intend scratch building the detail here as much of what Hasegawa supply reminds me of a load of drunken earthworms trying to perform a conga! The detail is also a little two dimensional for my liking.

I also filled and sanded down the ejector pin marks on the cockpit sidewalls and corrected the rear bulkheads of both cockpits. For some reason these took a lot longer than I had anticipated. Perhaps I was just having an off day. The nose cone has been glued together and tidied up. The fit of this to the fuselage looks like it is going to be a bit dodgy. Am I th only one who finds the fit of a lot of Hasegawa kits to be less than stellar?

Still, on to the pictures, nothing too exiting but we have to start somewhere.

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Nice start Martin.  

I thought hasegawa kits were generally shake and bake.

Matt

Thanks Matt. My experience is that it is always handy to have the filler close by when building their kits. I never cease to be amazed at kit reviewers who praise the fit of Hasegawa products and then go on to describe how they had to fill this and that on their builds. At least I was expecting some areas not to fit that well before I started. Nor was I surprised at small amounts of flash on numerous parts, not that that is any big deal to get rid of.

1 hour ago, Jessica said:

If it's important to you, the CF-104's instrument panel was noticeably different from what Hasegawa gives you in the kit.

Cf-104%20inst%20panel1.jpg

Thanks very much Jessica, I have filed this picture for future reference. I have already prepped the cockpit tubs for the Eduard parts and will have to see how much they differ from what Hasegawa give us. I may have to live with them anyway unless anyone knows of a dedicated PE se for the CF-104D.

Martian

• Like 2