CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

19 minutes ago, longshanks said:

and there I was thinking Poole had gone all upmarket from when I was a lad...................

Kev

It was me moving to Poole that started the up market trend although this has not had any discernible effect on my bank balance!

Martian the Miffed

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Egad!

Well, at the moment my nose dose feel like it has the appearance of a Zoidberg!

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh wings. They're a bit of alright. :winkgrin:

Johnny.

Have you been at the falling over juice already Johnny?

Can't see much modelling getting done today as my head is thick with cold and despite Lunarhighway's sterling efforts on his Fouga Magister engine, I don't think blobs of snot all over the model are going to o anything to enhance the Starfighter's looks. 

Martian (feeling very sorry for himself) :sick:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Saves on decalset though.

That explains the finish on some of your models then! :wicked: Sorry, you do walk into these things sometimes!

Martian

• Like 2

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, Barneydhc82 said:

There is nothing like a first flight in a Two-Holer!  Mine was in Zweibrucken 3 Wing RCAF in the mind 1960's and I can tell you I was hyperventilating even before the canopy was closed.  I got about 15 hours altogether in 654 and today she sits derelict in a "museum" here in Langley, BC Canada...really sad to see!

This is the same kit with Alclad finish....I'll be keeping a watch for this one of yours

Best wishes

Barney

CF-104D007A.jpg

Hi Barney,

Nice to see you posting, I joined just as we were buying Hornets although I managed one flight in a CF-104D, I flew in 647! I hope you are well.

Nice to see Jari helping Martin out, the two of us served together in Cold Lake! Jari is a great guy and big help in the modeling community.

Nice work Martin, my jaw is dropping! 

• Like 1

Not having done much to this build for a while, I got the urge to get stuck into it again the other day. I decided to start with the ram air turbine. Big mistake! This little fellow is smaller than my little finger nail and that is including the door! A sensible modeller would have set this aside until he had got his teeth properly back into the project, an even more sensible modeller would never have opened the RAT bay in the first place! Not this Martian though, oh no! He plods on wrestling with unfeasibly tiny pieces of sprue Albion Alloys tubing and plastic card until he has both his assembly and a stinker of a headache  into the bargain. Still, Longshanks did order me to lose the sensible hat the other day so in a way its his fault really!

Unbelievably though, the carpet monster never got his hands on a single bit of it, although he may of course, be waiting to swallow the thing whole. The sooner this tiny thing is in my parts box the better. I always have a small box or tray  for each project that I can keep small subassemblies such as this safe in.

On to the pictures and hopefully the forensic ruler will give you some idea of the size. I'm off to lay down in a dark room and then do something a bit easier on the build. I don't know what it will be yet but it has to be easier whatever it is!

Thanks for looking

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11

Yes, good to see you back at it.

Tiny bits like that could have been outsourced

to someone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Hendie for instance. He's not got much on.

In fact last time I looked he was getting bogged down.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2017 at 10:07 PM, Barneydhc82 said:

There is nothing like a first flight in a Two-Holer!  Mine was in Zweibrucken 3 Wing RCAF in the mind 1960's and I can tell you I was hyperventilating even before the canopy was closed.  I got about 15 hours altogether in 654 and today she sits derelict in a "museum" here in Langley, BC Canada...really sad to see!

This is the same kit with Alclad finish....I'll be keeping a watch for this one of yours

Best wishes

Barney

CF-104D007A.jpg

CF-104D 104654 later went to the RDAF where it - after its operational life - was used for technical training. It was during my own technical training that I got the chance to start up the engine and push the throttle to ground idle. What a day! :)

My version of 104654 will be in Danish markings obviously.

Jens

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice tiny work oh Green one. 

jont

Thanks John, it is easily the hardest part I have had to make on this thing so far.

37 minutes ago, Jens said:

CF-104D 104654 later went to the RDAF where it - after its operational life - was used for technical training. It was during my own technical training that I got the chance to start up the engine and push the throttle to ground idle. What a day! :)

My version of 104654 will be in Danish markings obviously.

Jens

I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

Martian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Very lovely RAT Martian

'Littleness fatigue'? Yes I get it too!

All worth it in the end

Its good to see you back on the shiny beast sir

Thanks Bill, I am looking forward to getting more done on it.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, good to see you back at it.

Tiny bits like that could have been outsourced

to someone who enjoys that sort of thing.

Hendie for instance. He's not got much on.

In fact last time I looked he was getting bogged down.

I did get a lot of satisfaction from getting it done, though one would not have guessed from the language that was issuing forth from the Martian Cave that I was having fun. Anyway, I doubt that Hendie would be daft enough to take on any of my daft ideas!

Martian 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Longshanks did order me to lose the sensible hat the other day so in a way its his fault really!

If this is the result of my suggestion I'm standing proud

This is the old young middling Martian we know and love .....

Nice one :clap2:

Kev

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

If this is the result of my suggestion I'm standing proud

This is the old young middling Martian we know and love .....

Nice one :clap2:

Kev

Thanks Kev. If you count in Martian years though I am only 29 years old!

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Ah, splendid to see you back at this my friend.You are turbining up a storm there.

Tony

Thanks Baroness. I think I will work on something a bit larger next, if only for what remains of my sanity!

Martian

• Like 1

I have been getting a bit more done on this project over the last few days.

I began by finishing off the RAT bay by adding the actuating piston and the connection points for it's associated plumbing. This proved to be almost as fiddly as building the turbine itself!

Next up I added some sway braces to the centre line pylon. These were adapted from pieces I found in an Italerii Dornier Do217 kit. No loss as the Dornier I want to build is not a missile carrier, which is what the sway braces were intended for.

I then modified the kit instrument panels to accept the Eduard photo-etched parts. This was quite tricky as Eduard expect one to remove all moulded on detail from the panels while at the same time preserving the radar detail in the centre of the same panels. One slip and one is up a certain creek without a certain implement!

Whilst rummaging in my stash of photo-etch, I discovered that I had an old Re-heat set that covered canopy details. I have absolutely no recollection as to when or where I bought this set so it must be from a very long time ago. Still, a bit of a result there! Part of this set contained details for cockpit sills. Appropriate lengths were cut and added to the kit. There are also assorted types of latches included in the set which is even more of a result as the Starfighter had some rather prominent ones.

Doing this build at my own pace seems to have had the result that some of my confidence is returning and I am enjoying it again. A final push to get the cockpits ready for paint is next on the agenda methinks. It may be tempting fate but I think that there is an outside chance that she may make Telford this year.

Anyway, here are some pictures to show that this particular alien has not just been sitting around on his tentacles.

Thanks for looking.

Martian

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 11