CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

That is looking seriously near top the point where you can hold it up in the light and make whistling jet sounds Martian.

Glad to hear the effects of the Bedroom Bungee jump are wearing off and kudos doing a Grace Darling on those struggling mariners - is it Captain Martian we do be calling ye now?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

- is it Captain Martian we do be calling ye now?

Arrr, that it be!

The Salty Old Sea Martian

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking great so far Martian. You will know this of course, but good to be posted again into space:

Nice to see some of my relatives getting a shout out!

Martian

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That is looking seriously near to the point where you can hold it up in the light and make whistling jet sounds Martian.

Well past that point, Shirley?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Well past that point, Shirley?

Indeed, it had the obligatory maiden flight around the kitchen a few weeks ago.

Martian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very great job Captain Martian !

Must find a NATO private drawing that represent Nato pilots who are playing darts withs F-104 ....

Don't remember where it is... Surely a safe place....

Let us know poor earthling about the grade of the Martian galactic Navy, is Captain relevant ??

Given the name Blurgelcruncheon, I fear the worst, may be Captain is a good option at all.

So you miss the job of referee in our Duel at dawn in the misty fields with Armstrong Withwort Canonette Mk I ???

Very good job on your dart Hoops F-104

Sincerely.

Bungee bedroom ??? interesting !

CC

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Bungee bedroom ??? interesting !

CC

Don't get too excited, he merely refers to certain Martians falling through the bedroom ceiling. Heaven knows what @CedB would make of bungees and bedrooms!

Martian

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't get too excited, he merely refers to certain Martians falling through the bedroom ceiling. Heaven knows what @CedB would make of bungees and bedrooms!

Martian

I know Oh Dear tentacled one, but it's so nice a way to describe your accident

did you get OK after all that adventures ?

Have a good modelling time my friend !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

I promised to do something a bit more interesting than just going on about the seemingly endless rounds of sanding and polishing that appear to be a Martian's lot these days. This being so, I began work on fitting the transparencies yesterday, only to discover that, guess what? they didn't, well not very well. My displeasure was compounded by the fact that I managed to get some CA on the centre section. Following some very bad Martian swear words that would not translate properly into English even if we didn't have a no swear policy, I began gently micro meshing the offending part back to clarity and filled some of the less bad seams with Mr Dissolved Gloop. I finished sanding the seams back this morning and gave the canopies a good polishing with Novus 1 polish. For those not familiar with this stuff, it was brought to my attention by Jared who runs the Rebels At Cloud Nine YouTube channel. I have a number of types of plastic polish but this stuff is easily the best I have come across for working on transparent parts and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Next up was to mask off the clear parts adjacent to the worst joins and to fill these with Milliput. I was particularly peeved to find that the rearmost transparency stood quite a bit clear of the fuselage. I momentarily thought that perhaps I had sanded down the fuselage too much in that area, until I realised that it was one of the areas of the fuselage that hadn't needed much attention. Anyway, that is the state of play at the moment. I am off to spend the weekend with some friends near Oxford and hopefully the Milliput will have graciously decided to be ready for sanding by the time I get back.

Thanks for looking 

Martian

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry to hear of your canopy woes Mr M. You seem to have buffed your way out of trouble however.:worthy:

Jont

Thanks, I must confess to being more than a little bit relieved as the clear parts are very thin and I was half expecting to hear the crack as they broke at ant time.

Martian the Jammy

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, its amazing the strength desperation can give you. The thought of having to buy another kit at full whack did not appeal to me in the slightest.

Martian

Well the Milliput graciously decided to set sufficiently hard for fairing in of the poorly fitting fixed canopy sections to begin. These have once again been sanded back and micro meshed before getting another going over with Novus polish. I think I will have yet another go with the Novus only this time buffing it up with the polishing wheel on my Dremmel.

At the other end of the airframe, I filled the ejector pin marks on the rudder and  sanded them smooth,  prior to fitting the rudder itself. The more observant will notice a small area of white plastic just below the trailing edge of the rudder. This is where i dropped the fuselage early in the build. The carpet monster ate the piece of fuselage that broke off and I had to let in a chunk of plastic stock and carve this to match the port side of the fuselage. However neither side of the fuselage matches the length of the rudder and it looks like I am going to have to graft on another bit of card in order to correct this anomaly.

Thanks for looking

Martian

134.jpg

137.jpg

136.jpg

• Like 8

Quite interested in this build, Martian, the 104 being something of the precursor to the U-2 which still holds my interest despite shelving my build a couple of years ago.   Looking at the last photos, I'm wondering if the windshield would serve as a replacement for the one in the Hawk/Testors kit(s), which seems a little flat,  thereby allowing me to use Eduards -104 canopy masks.  Buying a -104 kit just for the windshield, however, would be a little extravagant.  Perhaps buy the masks, shape a clay mould to fit and then vac a new one.  

Anyway, nice work.  Still with you on this long running thread despite the absence of banter on my part.  Never been very good at it but enjoy it when it really gets going.  Some of it quite funny.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Quite interested in this build, Martian, the 104 being something of the precursor to the U-2 which still holds my interest despite shelving my build a couple of years ago.   Looking at the last photos, I'm wondering if the windshield would serve as a replacement for the one in the Hawk/Testors kit(s), which seems a little flat,  thereby allowing me to use Eduards -104 canopy masks.  Buying a -104 kit just for the windshield, however, would be a little extravagant.  Perhaps buy the masks, shape a clay mould to fit and then vac a new one.  

There is a spare windshield in the kit, should I end up not needing it you are more than welcome to it.

Just to bring you all up to date, I have got things to the stage where I have been slapping paint over the joints to check they are OK. For the most part they are fine with just a small amount of extra filling needed around the windscreen, hence the proviso that I may need the spare in the kit, and a small panel on the underside. Pictures tomorrow all being well.

Martian

• Like 2

I'm finding this thread quite helpful and will follow progress , in building my freeby Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit but single seat. A book was mentioned at top somewhere by Patrick Martin  and published by AdHoc (not Daco), I just bought this for refererring to and is a good read.  But I am stuck in deciding between a bare metal finish, all green or variegated schemes. I plan on using Belcher bits decals fairly recently received.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

More tiny steps forward, progress nonetheless ....

Kev

Thanks Kev, it has felt like banging at least one of my heads against a brick wall recently but if I want that classic Starfighter finish, I have no option than to press on. Why am I always attracted to the most difficult types and/or colours schemes? My life could so much easier if you Earthlings built things with the modeller in mind.

3 hours ago, CJP said:

I really like the F104 and the way you tackle your models - just reassure me that the Tracker is safely in storage?

CJP

Thanks CJP.  Fret ye not, the Tracker still sits safely on my bench and really only needs my to finish off the various bits of equipment for me to be able to start painting up the interior. 

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

I'm finding this thread quite helpful and will follow progress , in building my freeby Revell boxing of the Hasegawa kit but single seat. A book was mentioned at top somewhere by Patrick Martin  and published by AdHoc (not Daco), I just bought this for refererring to and is a good read.  But I am stuck in deciding between a bare metal finish, all green or variegated schemes. I plan on using Belcher bits decals fairly recently received.

Glad the thread is of use Paul. In my opinion the early NMF schemes look the best but they do require the most work

Off to see if the latest bit of primer is dry so I can get those pictures done.

Martian 👽

As promised here are the pictures as to where we are now. I have masked the attached sections of the canopies and a splash of primer shows that all now seems to be well. I had forgotten to add that sliver of plastic card on the tail, so have glued that on and should be able to get that carved to shape tomorrow morning. Once I have finished polishing the airframe, it will be more masking and then time for a squirt of Mr Surfacer.

Not the most inspiring pictures but I guess every build goes through this stage.

Thanks for looking anyway.

Martian 👽

139.jpg

138.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Not the most inspiring pictures but I guess every build goes through this stage.

May not be the most inspiring pictures, but I'm loving seeing every stage of this build Martian.

Terry

• Like 1