CF-104D Starfighter 1/48 Hasegawa

Martian

With the increased medication kicking in and having decided not to pressurise myself over my threads, I have actually felt like doing a little bit more on my builds.

I began by scrapping that rubbish hydraulic bay door. I removed all the detail from the kit part and rebuilt the entire thing. I feel a lot happier with what I have done this time even though I am aware that the thing is not perfect. There are a few finer pipes and wires I could add but I am a tad worried about having to use materials that are overscale and ending up with something that ends up looking a mess. I shall set the assembly aside and take my time to decide whether I want to do any more to it or not.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Whille things were still going well, I added the fixed plumbing to the main undercarriage bay. All of this was from various diameters of Albion Alloys' tubing. I also replaced the actuators on the arms for the main undercarriage legs as the ones moulded on the kit parts just looked too woolly for my liking. Bolts for the hinges on the undercarriage were punched out using my punch and die set.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The wonky brass bits are the actuators for the forward main undercarriage doors these have been left loose to allow for easier positioning when the doors are finally fitted. Obviously the flexible hoses can only be fitted when the undercarriage has finally been glued in place.

Hoping these bits of work are more acceptable and thanks for looking

Martian

• Like 16

Martin,

Well done.  What I do want to know is where you got the elves for Christmas with the tiny fingers to put it all together for you as my hands do not do anywhere near that level of detail.

Build it to whatever makes you happy and enjoy the process. 

foresterab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

nice work Martian.  That's looking very nice indeed

Thanks Hendie, it looks a lot better when not under Macro.

1 hour ago, foresterab said:

Martin,

Well done.  What I do want to know is where you got the elves for Christmas with the tiny fingers to put it all together for you as my hands do not do anywhere near that level of detail.

Build it to whatever makes you happy and enjoy the process. 

foresterab

Cheers, little green men are ten a penny here on Mars. The problem with me is that I am seldom happy with what I have built for long. I always want to do better.

29 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

More than acceptable.

I'll make sure the hydraulic rig

is refueled for when you're ready

to do retraction tests.

Welcome back.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete.

9 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Now were talking, good to have the slightly old Martian back

:goodjob:

Kev

Thanks Kev, I still feel rather fragile but I began to feel embarrassed watching others work and not contributing myself.

Martian

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Mate, we all strive to do better.

Not all of us can, that's why we

settle for watching them instead!

You are of course right Pete, trouble is I never know when to stop.

1 minute ago, Gary West said:

So glad your back up and running with this - clever work

Thanks Gary, lets see how we get on.

Martian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBaron said:

Inspiring to see Martian work of this quality. :thumbsup2:

Tony

Thanks Tony. I am going to take a look at he SH-34 tomorrow.

Martian

• Like 1

Fool!

No Martian not you, me

Fancy me thinking that old bit of tat was good enough

:(

Fancy me calling it tat!

I still think it was great, but simply streets better now.   :thumbsup2:

I'm glad you're back in the saddle, just a quiet canter for now, OK?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

You are of course right Pete, trouble is I never know when to stop.

So that's your excuse to go and build another model. Each of us is our most savage critic; those of us looking on at your work are suitably awed by your skills :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Great to see you back at it Martin, & back to turning out more cracking stuff! 

Keith

Thanks Keith, I think I have to go a bit slower with things though.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Fool!

No Martian not you, me

Fancy me thinking that old bit of tat was good enough

:(

Fancy me calling it tat!

I still think it was great, but simply streets better now.   :thumbsup2:

I'm glad you're back in the saddle, just a quiet canter for now, OK?

I think you are right, I will try and slow down.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

:worthy::worthy::clap2: Simply stunning. I love what you have done here. Nice to have you up and running kid. :giles:

jont.

Thanks John, I don't think I will be doing much running for a while though.

54 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Superb detail work there Matian - welcome back buddy (in best American airman voice!)

Cheers Chally.

42 minutes ago, Jessica said:

So that's your excuse to go and build another model. Each of us is our most savage critic; those of us looking on at your work are suitably awed by your skills :)

Thanks Jessica, I shall try and take the words of our official Wise Woman on board.

Martian

• Like 2

You'll never get to be as slow as me Martian! Today I managed to restick the aerial I'd broken off, and add the pitot tube & undercarriage legs to my 1/48th P-47D - which is the simple but very nicely fitting old Otaki kit, which I started back in June...!! First modelling I'd felt like doing over Christmas & I really enjoyed it!

Keith

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You'll never get to be as slow as me Martian! Today I managed to restick the aerial I'd broken off, and add the pitot tube & undercarriage legs to my 1/48th P-47D - which is the simple but very nicely fitting old Otaki kit, which I started back in June...!! First modelling I'd felt like doing over Christmas & I really enjoyed it!

Keith

Sounds like you are miles faster than me. I could never do a 1/48 P-47 in that time but then again I am the sort of plonker that would take a scalpel to it and open up as much as I could!

Martian

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am aware that the thing is not perfect.

Ah, the quest for perfection. It can be a curse, Martian.  Acceptable is better, much less stressful and time consuming.

Welcome back!

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Fantastic work on this 104! I admire your patience for adding all the pipes/wires everywhere, this should look fantastic when finished. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I worry about the NMF being the factor that will stop it looking even OK. The types of modeI have traditionally built have not called for NMF and therefore I have very little experience of it.

49 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ah, the quest for perfection. It can be a curse, Martian.  Acceptable is better, much less stressful and time consuming.

Welcome back!

Cheers,

Dennis

Very true Dennis, the trouble is each of us has a different level as to where we set the bar for "acceptable".

Martian

38 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see you back Just take your time and enjoy your modelling.

Hope 2017 is better for you

Roger

Thanks Roger, I will try and take that on board.

Martian