Father/Daughter BoB Duel Build

Skids

Hello All

Been absent for a few weeks as stalled GB Builds and other bits pile up (dead compressor did not help but now solved).

But here is a refresh for me and a great laugh to boot.

My daughter has just gone into year 4 (second year of juniors to us old school people) and her class will be studying WW2 for this term. So a few weeks into the school holiday she was watching me building a kit and said 'Can we build one for me to take into school' :analintruder: And my response was of course yes, you have to support your children in their schoolwork (not to mention getting to buy new kits!!). But I had a better idea - she could build a spitfire and I could do a 109! What a great idea, lets show both sides.

So onto the BigH and a few days later….two new kits and some paints and masks. This will be an OOB build, so no Etch or even scratch building as we have a deadline.

So her Airfix Spitfire

BoB%20T1_zpszytpvek5.jpg

BoB%20T2_zpsvv2y82ql.jpg

and my Eduard 109.

BoB%20S1_zpskgfhtdcr.jpg

BoB%20S2_zpswlxgsx5o.jpg

So with a little help (although she has mastered sprue cutters) she made cracking start.

BoB%20T3_zpsage4pmmt.jpg

And then a play with my airbrush (and new compressor) and a little demo on dry brushing she came up with this

BoB%20T4_zpsrb8fp12r.jpg

Not bad for an 8 year old if you ask me. Now my kit has been started but in the excitement of helping her I seem to have forgotten to take any pics. But she cracked on putting it together and asked for a bit of help glueing the wings and fuselage together.

BoB%20T5_zpsqm3fduiq.jpg

Then we put the sky on which she asked for some help then she did the Dark earth on her own which again I forgot to take a pic of. (sure I will be getting a detention at some point)

So onto the Green tonight and I have not even primed mine yet :doh:, talk about being shown up!!!!!

More real soon as she is on a role!

Thanks

Simon

• Like 10

What a great way to bond... My eldest turned 16 only yesterday but built her first kit with me when she was about 10, she has now won several junior competitions at model shows in the UK and France and if you have a copy of this months Airfix SMW she get's a mention on page 40.

Have a great build together you never know where it will lead.

• Like 3

Great to see,I did a show and tell with my son for the B of B last year for the 75th anniversary... Managed to scrape together a dozen or so relevant models, luckily we also had some quick build stuff which could be passed around (it was the first term of a year two class). Airfix to the educational packs... Might be worth mentioning it to her teacher...

All my son's friends which have joined us to make a model or two have really enjoyed it.. and two of his cousins

Edited by R159
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys

She is really enjoying herself. Will take some more pics later. She has finished the camo just need to hairy stick a few bits later then she can gloss it for decals.

Simon

What a great way to bond... My eldest turned 16 only yesterday but built her first kit with me when she was about 10, she has now won several junior competitions at model shows in the UK and France and if you have a copy of this months Airfix SMW she get's a mention on page 40.

Have a great build together you never know where it will lead.

Is she the vampire??

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Well in all the excitement it seems we forgot to take many pictures or even post them up.

In my slowness it seems she got to use my new compressor before me :(

Got a picture of her spraying (well it was actually a pose shot as she didn't want a photo in my spray mask as it is not very flattering!!)

Spit%205_zpschm9vq5c.jpg

I did all the masking for her as I did not want her near my scalpel, then it was on to decals. she did really well with the larger decals but struggle with the small ones so decided to let me put all the small ones on.

Spit%206_zps8fu74hgh.jpg

And yes her progress is really showing me up as this was the difference at this stage!!

Spit%207_zpsxk8oct7z.jpg

Hopefully I can get some pics of the Spitfire as she has now finished it, unfortunately she took it into school before I could get pics but as soon as it comes home I will put some up. I have started spraying the 109 so will get some pics of that up soon too

Thanks

Simon & Tia

• Like 9

Brilliant work guys, It's great building stuff with your kids, me and the boy are slowly building a Lanc. It's getting there but wow it can take time. looking forward to more shots. Oh and get a move on dad. :bounce::P

All the best.

John 

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I showed her your comments yesterday and she was over the moon. 

Well John I need to get a move on as she has now decided that I am taking far too long! If I don't get a going I think she will be taking over the 109 build too!! :doh:

• Like 3