Am I the only one this has ever happened to? How do you deal with it?

Beardie

Hi all,

Well last night it was time to zip up the fuselage of my Bristol M.1c. Glued the cockpit assembly in place then started the process of bringing the two halves together and getting them nicely aligned and all welded together. Job done!................................. then .......................... I took a torch and had a look inside to see how the pit looked now it was firmly in place and aaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh! One of the bracing lines across the bottom of the cockpit framing (EZ Line) had somehow let go during the assembly.

Anyone else suffered a similar situation? How do you deal with it?

I think it is far too late to try and separate the halves as they were well bonded together with liquid poly. Don't even know if I can get at it with a pair of tweezers and somehow pull it out without damaging the cockpit. This is something I have always dreaded with interior lines but, until have never had happen.

It would happen to be one of the few lines you can see, albeit with a magnifying glass and a bright light.

The problem is Beardie you know what has happened in there. It may be better to try and remove it completely?

If it is any consolation I have had a rigging malfunction on my latest build a Plafz D XII in 1/72. I had finished all the rigging and was trimming the excess ez line and whilst doing this I managed to snip through an intersection of 3 lines one of which was interconnected onto the other wing. So I have managed to de-rig half my model so it is now stalled and I have put it on the top shelf where it is 'resting'. It was to have been the first completion of a Merlin models kit. Ah well.

Edited by Bear Paw

Yup that is one of the things I always struggle with when using tiny PE parts and delicate cockpit/engine detailing. Anything that goes wrong or is left out is a wee black cloud over the finished models. I know the error/omission is there.

• Like 1

I suppose I could have a diorama with just a pair of legs sticking out of the cockpit as if he is in there head first trying to fix it. :winkgrin:

It has brought a thought to me, if a bracing wire on the internal framing, control cable etc. came loose in a real WWI aircraft how would you get at it to fix it without tearing the fabric off the beastie or doing some sort of major dismantling?