USS Parche SSN-683 - 1/350 scale conversion

Flankerman

The USS Parche was a lengthened Sturgeon class boat converted for 'Special Operations'

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_01.jpg

I'm using to Mikro-Mir USS Sturgeon kits, suitable chopped, to make the lengthened hull........

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_02.jpg

The front of one hull is joined to the rear of a second hull to make the new one......

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_03.jpg

...... and strengthened on the inside with strips of plastic card........

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_04.jpg

A coat of grey primer shows that the various joins have been filled and sanded down to eliminate all traces of the surgery....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_05.jpg

Next job is to scratch that forward decking......

Ken

• Like 6

To form the raised decking forward of the sail, I first cut out three 'bulkheads' from palstic card and attached them to the forward hull.....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_06.jpg

... then I shaped a piece of plastic card to form the 'roof'......

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_07.jpg

..... followed by a shaped side piece.....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_08.jpg

It still needs filling and sanding to shape - but it forms the basic shape OK.

Ken

• Like 3

I assembled the sail from MM Sturgeon kit and fitted it to the hull......

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_09.jpg

.... but it didn't appear tall enough - particularly the height where the diving planes go.

So I removed the sail and cut a section from the base of the sail - and grafted it onto the leftover sail from the second Sturgeon kit....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_10.jpg

It looks much better now....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_11.jpg

Ken

• Like 2

Ready for the paint shop.....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_12.jpg

It may not be 100% accurate - I'm going by a single general arrangement drawing and photographs - but it's near enough for my standards.

The only thing I can't find anything about are the side thrusters - there are tantalising hints in some photos, but nothing definite - so I may just try to fudge them with decals.

The same is true of the retractable 'skegs' for sitting on the seabed - again no detail - which is to be expected, given the nature of her 'Special Ops' use.

Ken

• Like 4

The model is now painted - Halfords Red Plastic Primer and Halfords Vauxhall Tempest Grey rattle cans.

I made some decals for the side maneouvring thrusters - all very speculative as I have no idea as to their shape nor if they were actually fitted.....

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_13.jpg

I've painted centreline anti-slip walkway matt black - so just a couple more decals followed by some 'distressing' and my usual display base - almost there!

350_USS%20Parche%20SSN-683_14.jpg

Ken

• Like 5