1:72 Airfix Tornado

Howlindawg

Hi Tony,

It would certainly be interested to hear what Humbrol have to say about spraying their acrylics. The best results I had were 1:1 dilution with tap water but I wasn't happy with the rough finish obtained. I'm sure there's a magic dilution / air pressure / needle size / spray distance formula to obtain a decent result but I'm not sure I'm willing to try finding it through trial and error. :) I was trying to build up very light layers but could never get it smooth and had better results using a brush.

I think the Airfix kit could be readily improved by simply removing the raised panel lines and rescribing the details.

The basic shape is very Tonka like. :)

One of these days I'll definitely have a try at one of the better Tornado kits as I'd like a full set of euro interceptors (Lightning, Phantom, Tornado and Typhoon) along with a couple of SAABs to break up the usual WWI fare I indulge in.

• Like 1

I almost forgot.

Having previously had issues with Humbrol Decalfix damaging the acrylic paint finish I tried Mr. Mark Setter Neo and Mr. Mark Softer Neo on the advice of my local model shop.

This stuff works like a dream. Decals settled down nice and smooth onto the paint without a hint of silvering.

I'll be using it in future but it doesn't half smell nasty!

I'll keep the Decalfix for use over enamels.

• Like 2

I think I'm about done with this one.

I made plenty of mistakes along the way - including somehow managing to get a tiny piece of yellow masking tape inside the cockpit! :banghead:

Still - it looks pretty decent on the desk and it's cleared the way for something a tad more ambitious. :rolleyes:

34740462153_2e7e244950_c.jpg

Airfix-Tornado-Complete by Martin Fay, on Flickr

Now that I've finished the kit I'd suggest that

• The interior, or lack thereof, is a shame in a kit with so much glass.
  • The raised panel lines are typical of older kits but really let the side down.
  • The awkward fuselage join needs a lot of sanding - which removes the raised panel lines.

However

• It builds into a nice chunky model
  • The Decals were excellent
  • I saw this same starter set complete with glue and paint for €10.00 in a local shop recently.

If I'm building another it'll probably be the Revell but this aging Airfix was pretty straight forward to build and is damned fine value for money. With a little rescribing and some added cockpit detail it could make for a very nice model indeed.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...