Anyone at Duxford today Saturday 10 Sept?

Phil32

For the first time in many years, I decided not to renew my Friends of Duxford membership this year. This decision was based on several factors, including a new job with frequent trips overseas, but also the new advance ticket and parking policy introduced this year for shows.

I was planning to go to the show today because the forecast earlier in the week was fine, but changed my mind due to the revised forecast.

This will therefore be the first year that I haven't attended a single show at Duxford for well over a decade.

I hope that those who go to the show this weekend have a great time. I will be thinking of you.

• Like 1

I've been a 'Friend of Duxford' for years but I'm unhappy about the new ticketing arrangements for air shows. I can understand some if the reasoning (not least of which is the CAA 'rules' and - so I'm told - Cambridge Constabulary concerns over traffic congestion.

I'm lucky, when deciding what seems months ago which say to attend I chose Sunday. Right now it's Sunday, there's a light must but above it a blue sky. So much better than yesterday when it was dull and drizzling all day where I live.

So sorry that AlphaDelta and possibly others decided not to come to this show, even more so that he's decided for good reasons not to remain with FoD.

• Like 1

I had planned to go, already arranged that I won't be working that day, but when the Sea Vixen pulled out the main (and pretty much only) attraction for me was gone so I changed my plans. Tough times for us classic jet enthusiasts...

The weather was terrible yesterday, I really felt for those who had tickets - was there any flying at all??

Jeffrey

As far as i can see, the Fury / Bearcat pair got up, the Buchon pair, the Gladiator, a mk1 Spitfire, and the Extra 300's. Pictures of anything else in flight are conspicuous by their absense. My impression is of a frustrating day - the Fury landing in a downpour was an illustrative picture.

The folks there today on the other hand look like they're on for the full works!

I've been a 'Friend of Duxford' for years but I'm unhappy about the new ticketing arrangements for air shows. I can understand some if the reasoning (not least of which is the CAA 'rules' and - so I'm told - Cambridge Constabulary concerns over traffic congestion.

I'm lucky, when deciding what seems months ago which say to attend I chose Sunday. Right now it's Sunday, there's a light must but above it a blue sky. So much better than yesterday when it was dull and drizzling all day where I live.

So sorry that AlphaDelta and possibly others decided not to come to this show, even more so that he's decided for good reasons not to remain with FoD.

Hope you have a good day, Jonny. The weather is beautiful where I am. I would have attended today but will be at a family party. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures.

I went on Saturday despite the weather; I would probably have given it a miss had I not arranged to go with a friend who was going, come what may. The rain was not as bad as I'd expected, though apparently it made the runway too wet for the MiG-15 or the Vampires to be able to operate safely. The announcer said it was the visibility that was the chief problem. I got the distinct impression that the low ceiling restricted the display of most of those that did get airborne.

Phil32's assessment is about right - the Buchon pair were accompanied by a Spitfire I & V pairing with a mock (very tame) dogfight. There was also a brief display by two Chipmunks and a Harvard. I think the Global Stars made some unplanned flights just to keep something happening (though as usual what they did in their full display was remarkable, but not what I was really wanting to see.)

Frustrating was exactly the word. From what I've seen of the IWM's communications, you'd have thought everything had gone swimmingly. I took the shuttle bus from Royston station (where my friend got off the train); there were four of us on the way there, and six on the way back. From my very limited experience of this show, attendance figures were unsurprisingly way down. So I guess they're pretty happy with the short-term boost from pre-sales. But next year I'll be waiting until I see the weather forecast before I book tickets for the May show unless they introduce a policy that compensates ticket holders for days like this. I was also unimpressed (as a FoD) to see that an equivalent discount on ticket prices was available to anyone booking in advance. Seeing as one can now get an annual pass for substantially less than the FoD price, and that many of the FoD special events are held on weekdays, the only real advantage seems to be to get the shop/food/Classic Wings discount.

• Like 3

On 15 September 2016 at 9:01 PM, amblypygid said:

Well, IWM have just offered me (and I presume anyone who bought tickets for Saturday) a 30% discount off the May show. Not sure if that stacks with the FoD discount, and it has to be booked by the end of March, so well in advance.

Well, that's something.  I noticed that for this year's May show that a discount was being offered for 'advance online booking' which seemed close to that enjoyed by FoD. I asked if both discounts could be claimed and received an almost outraged response which can be summarised as NO.  Worth a try though!

It won't help anyone who had to attend the Saturday show but Sunday's was brilliant. For once the Red Arrows were able to give a 'vertical' display and14 Spitfires flying was a sight to behold.

I must say I'm wondering by how much the 'gate' has fallen as the result of Duxford's pre-book only ticketing arrangement.  Despite the good weather I got the feeling Sunday wasn't as busy as normal.  The FoD seating wasn't fully utilised either.

The only 'downer' for  me - although amusing - was on the Flightline walk.  Having parted with £6:00 I was snapping away and, wanting a shot from a low perspective, lay full length on the grass to take it. A reedy voice said "You can't go on the grass!". I looked up to see a youth in cut down RAF uniform ATC(?) standing over me.  I pretended to be deaf and shouted at him that I couldn't hear him and would he please stop interrupting me and let me get on with my job. He did!

• Like 1