This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

jrlx

What are you reading?

"Stalins Slave Ships" by Martin J Bollinger,  a better read than I expected, very well researched & well written. I've been fascinated in a macabre way by the subject since reading Robert Conquest's "Kolyma, the Arctic death Camps" about the Russian Gulag camps in the far east of Siberia. Chilling stuff. :)

Steve.

Currently reading The Coffin Boats (Japanese midget submarine operations WW2), so far good in places and very hard going at the moment, too much back history, not quite figured out what turn of the 20th century in Australia has to do with submarine attacks of WW2? other than to fill out the book, will read on. The chapters about the attack on Pearl Harbour have been good.

All the best Chris

'The Wolf.' About the First World War German commerce raider of that name.

"Bridge of Spies" - the story of Gary Powers and Rudolph Abel and how they were swapped.

Just finished The Secret Life of Fighter Command, which I'm sad to say was a little disappointing; the author was obviously unfamiliar with aircraft, and on the whole it felt like a surprisingly intelligent long-form Daily Mail article, which wasn't what I was hoping for at all.

Storm Command by Sir Peter de la Billiere. I've had it for a few years but have only just got around to reading it, only about  40 pages in so can't really comment much.

Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson. Excellent book. First published in 1979.

Just started Cosmos by Carl Sagan,borrowed it off someone after finding the series on youTube and next to get is the series on dvd...I was 15 in 1980 when i saw it and i remember watching it in awe....

On 05/10/2017 at 2:17 PM, Fatboydim said:

Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson. Excellent book. First published in 1979.

One of my all time favourite WW2 books - flying and piano playing!  Great guy and great book. 

Got meself a Kindle for the recent trip to the wet side of the world, and have just finished reading all the Vera Stanhope books and the Kate Shugak ones on it. Good stuff to keep your mind engaged while you're stuck in a king-sized spam can at about FL370 for ever and ever amen. Must see what else is available - it beats carting tonnes of paper around with you!

America's First Clash with Iran: The Tanker War 1987-1988

An excellent read so far, I recall a lot of the news coverage at the time around gunboat attacks and the mining of the Gulf waters, but bizarrely I had no knowledge of the tragic attack on the USS Stark. 

Also got "Tornado Boys" on the go as well, I've really enjoyed most of the books in this series.

Eng

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 16:12, Vince1159 said:

Just started Cosmos by Carl Sagan,borrowed it off someone after finding the series on youTube and next to get is the series on dvd...I was 15 in 1980 when i saw it and i remember watching it in awe....

I bought the book back in 1980/81 on the back of watching the series on TV at the time. Bear in mind that 37 years has passed since the book and series was put together and an awful lot of space research, astronomy and cosmology has taken place over that period of time.

The DVD actually has a subtitle update option which allows you to see what has been discovered since and how some of Sagan's assertions have been refined or amended since 1980. However, even those "updates" are around 20 years old now.

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I bought the book back in 1980/81 on the back of watching the series on TV at the time. Bear in mind that 37 years has passed since the book and series was put together and an awful lot of space research, astronomy and cosmology has taken place over that period of time.

The DVD actually has a subtitle update option which allows you to see what has been discovered since and how some of Sagan's assertions have been refined or amended since 1980. However, even those "updates" are around 20 years old now.

Thanks Eric,it'd be nice to watch it again on the tv instead of a monitor and the whole series for around a tenner you can't go wrong...I used to love Sky at Night with Patrick Moore as well,both series are very dated but it's still interesting to watch....

Just working my through 'The Romanovs' by Stephen Sebag Montefiore. An illuminating account if the Russian Tsars from 1613 to 1917. My God, what a family! Got as far as Nicholas I, they seemed to have survived by fairly ruthless removal of those they fell out with and extensive, strenuous and occasionally bizarre sex lives. Trouble is I can only read about 20 mins max before falling asleep. 

Just finished Spook Street by Mick Herron and started Max Hastings' Secret War.

A couple of quick Kindle read, both by the same author, Doug Dildy.

On my way to read a third, Sabre vs MiG-15.

9781472818904_1.jpg

9781472812728.jpg

Just finished Alpha and Omega. Although I enjoyed "Coming of Age in the Milky Way" a tiny bit better, it was written in 1988.

Alpha and Omega is more up to date (2003) and at only 8" tall, it was easy to bring to work for reading during lunch time.

Charles_Seife_-_Alpha_and_Omega_The_Sear

Just bought Bucket of Sunshine by Mike Brooke and my monthly Land Rover magazine.

Gordon Kerr's A Short History of the Vietnam War.  After reading Chickenhawk and Low Level Hell  I wanted more of an overview of the war from all angles.  This book provides it.  What a horror show, the statistics are mind boggling.  So sad.

Dennis

"To Win The Winter Sky", Danny Parker, the air over Europe during the winter of 1944/45. Well written, very readable & damned interesting.

Steve.

Now onto "100 Missions North" - the story of Brigadier General Ken Bell's Vietnam air war flying F-105D Thunderchiefs. Pretty good so fare.