1/72 - Polikarpov TsKB-12bis resin kit by Prop&Jet - released

Homebee

Coming along nicely! I'm really looking forward to this one. Considering Musa's beautiful craftsmanship and diligent research, I'm embarrassed to make any comment or suggestion, but I hope he includes provision for the elevators to be deflected, as they usually were on the I-16 when parked.

John

3 hours ago, Madoc said:

Looks good but...

How is the prototype different from the I-16 production versions?

That's not an easy question to answer in 25 words or less! This might be worth a read, plus the succeeding parts 2, 3 and 4:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071212135847/www.brushfirewars.org/aircraft/polikarpov_i-16/polikarpov_i-16_1.htm

John

19 hours ago, John Thompson said:

That's not an easy question to answer in 25 words or less! This might be worth a read, plus the succeeding parts 2, 3 and 4

John,

From the Runarsson article:

Although this hybrid is known to have existed it has not been conclusively documented and there are two theories about what it looked like exactly. Which ever theory about its configuration is correct, it is clear that this hybrid does not quite fit into either the type 6 or the type 10 category. Another source of constant migraines when studying the type variations of the I-16 is a plethora of varyingly extensive rebuilds and field modifications done at central maintenance units when aircraft came in for major overhauls.

Gotta love it!  Sounds like an excellent example of early aviation production standards!

Drawing from Runarsson's piece and my other readings, it seems that the prototypes differences would be pretty subtle ones.  They'd thus be hard to "back date" any existing I-16 kits and also take a rather fine eye to pick out on this TsKB-12 kit.

Thus it'll be the perfect thing to drive any JMN nuts!

Oh yeah! Oh yeah - sweeeeet!!! Bring it on - my credit card is poised and ready!!! The elevators appear to be one piece with the stabilizers, but altering that (if desired) is not a big problem. I'm totally stoked! :yahoo:

John

Yeehaw! Thank you for the good news, VP!

John

Double thank you - the link you posted is to my favourite online shop (ModelsUA)! I didn't realize the kit was available already, so I placed my order immediately. Only 4 of these beauties left in stock - be quick, folks!  :thumbsup:

Edited by John Thompson